Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview Satellite + Hard Disk Recorder

Options
  • 28-08-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Going to get Freeview Satellite installed over the next few weeks. My question relates to Hard Disk Recorder to buy.

Want to be able to record programmes from Freeview (BBC, ITV, etc) and standard RTE1, etc signals from ordinary aerial. Also want to use external media (divx, torrents) from external drive probably...so usb a given...

I want to be able to record one station while viewing another. Had originally thought that RDR-HXD750 was good value at circa. €270 but now believe i need a recorder with 2 tuners. if this is the case - what do people reccommend?

ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Snark wrote: »
    Going to get Freeview Satellite installed over the next few weeks. My question relates to Hard Disk Recorder to buy.

Want to be able to record programmes from Freeview (BBC, ITV, etc) and standard RTE1, etc signals from ordinary aerial. Also want to use external media (divx, torrents) from external drive probably...so usb a given...

I want to be able to record one station while viewing another. Had originally thought that RDR-HXD750 was good value at circa. €270 but now believe i need a recorder with 2 tuners. if this is the case - what do people reccommend?

ta.

only system that will let you do this is sky plus. I have a pioneer dvd recorder that would allow me to record from ntl whilst watching something else i had previously recorded or the basic analogue channels. they are a good reliable brand and come highly recommended. richer sounds often do good deals on these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

ya also need a quad lnb and another coaxial feed back to dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Starkiller

I think this is what you are after Triax SR322 160GB HDD PVR Satellite Receiver. Check ebay for ones selling at the moment.
    It has twin DVB-S sockets that allows you to record one channel while watching a different one.
    I am not sure if it records RTE etc from the aerial socket though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Starkiller

Sorry just remembered that the Triax doesnt support external USB drives. The USB slot is for software updates only I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I would suggest a standard VHS, DVD or HDD recorder for analogue broadcasts (RTE, TV3 etc.)

For FTA satellite channels I would suggest a Satellite PVR receiver (with HDD installed internally) or PVR Ready receiver (the ability to add an external drive via USB).

I own a HUMAX iCord HD PVR twin-tuner satellite recevier that can record 4 sat channels at the same time from one or two transponders while viewing another channel (this is limited if recording from 2 transponders) or playback a previous recording or playback a current recording. But as you can see from the link it's not cheap.

You could wait for the expected (before christmas) Freesat Humax HD PVR with proper epg functionality and expected to retail about £300 with the ability to record 'at least' two channels according to Bob Hannent (Humax Chief Technologist) -aka Bob_Cat on the Digital Spy Forums-
    I will say it can record 'at least' two channels and you will be notified when something cannot be recorded because of a lack of resources. We will not claim it can record anything more than that for simplicity of message to consumers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement