Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An undiscovered masterpiece...

Options
  • 28-08-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Just after coming across this:
    http://www.myspace.com/theculturevandals

I'm simply blown away. This is real music, real art, and demonstrates real talent... very rare in this country in my opinion.

I'm completely underwhelmed, and usually not very deeply moved, by most of what people consider to be the best bands in Ireland (just check the other thread).

This, on the otherhand, is a very rare masterpiece. Pity that people prefer to buy and support second rate stuff that is more commercial...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It sounds decent but my god do you have to talk out of your arse?
    This is real music, real art, and demonstrates real talent...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Music for bedwetters by artists that would be breaking the speed of boredom if they didn't keep tripping over self-made mountainess hurdles of predictability.
    But there you go, each to there own.
    It's all in the ear of the beholder I suppose.
    God it gets worse with each listen. I think the artist has cuptured the essence of picking fluff from his belly-button, rolling it into a ball ball then flicking it across his mothers sittingroom towards the tv which is showing Last of the summer wine. Pure art alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

humberklog wrote: »
    Music for bedwetters by artists that would be breaking the speed of boredom if they didn't keep tripping over self-made mountainess hurdles of predictability.
    God it gets worse with each listen. I think the artist has cuptured the essence of picking fluff from his belly-button, rolling it into a ball ball then flicking it across his mothers sittingroom towards the tv which is showing Last of the summer wine. Pure art alright.
    I Lolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He's ok for his genre, Im not one to give any sort of opinion because singer songwriter stuff all sounds the same to me. Don't know why acoustic laid back music is so popular in Ireland but then again Im on another planet mostly. So kudos to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Hehehhe... I lolled too reading back over it ;)

But that's the thing, I don't usually go for the whole singer/songwriter acoustic thing, but I think this sounds a lot "bigger" somehow, and has a lot more scope. Oh well, each to their own...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dagon wrote: »
    Hehehhe... I lolled too reading back over it ;)

But that's the thing, I don't usually go for the whole singer/songwriter acoustic thing, but I think this sounds a lot "bigger" somehow, and has a lot more scope. Oh well, each to their own...
    I was looking forward to hearing something that'd push Irish music out there a bit and your enthusiasism was infectious. But (for these ears) I was disappointed. Not that I'm wanting a whole new sound in music spawning from an Irish artist but I would love to hear something fresh, invigorating, enlightening, challenging. I didn't get it from this lot. Good on the chaps getting their stuff together and out there but alas I find it falling into the 'standard typical detail' mode. Not pushing new ground but seamingly happy to plod along in overly furrowed trough.
    These chaps aren't doing anything wrong. But their not doing anything good either. But they are as listenable as any Irish artist out there. The Irish music scene has always been the same though. It has never been about an evolution of music but much more about creation. What I mean here is that occasionally an artist comes along with a few half decent tunes. That's it. Job jobbed. No building blocks into further development. The creation is complete and the growth is over. Evolution would mean further development, taking those experiences and not resting on them but building apon them. This can be used for individual artist but also for the larger Irish songwriting industry. Occassional flashes of ok-ness but no ignition to create a larger flame. Ok there have been exceptions(I ain't going down thwe road of naming one)but these artist have, if anything, bucked the Irish collective creative influences.
    This lot are imo same ol' same ol'. Happy to be playing in time and tune and not pompous nor daring enough to take a larger stride into a brighter world of individuality and un-selfconscious expression.
    Is the creation over evolution (standing on the shoulders of..etc.)anything to do with the imbedded catholic psyche?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

All of you are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah, must be that darned Catholicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 splitterung

humberklog wrote: »

thats class..breaking the speed of boredom..sounds like an album title if ever i heard one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol, that dragan must be high, this is umm I'll be nice and say not good, is it your brother or what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Hanged Man is one of the most mysterious cards in the deck. It is simple, but complex. It attracts, but also disturbs. It contradicts itself in countless ways. The Hanged Man is unsettling because it symbolizes the action of paradox in our lives. A paradox is something that appears contradictory, and yet is true. The Hanged Man presents to us certain truths, but they are hidden in their opposites.

I must say: this stuff must be a dead-cert knicker dropper at fresher, emo parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Dagon wrote: »
    I'm simply blown away. This is real music, real art, and demonstrates real talent... very rare...
    You sound like Eric Cantona, IMO!! :D

There's my imput.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what do ya think of these, they're home recordings by the way:

myspace.com/patrickleydon

i guess its singer/songwriter because i sing and write, dont like that label and i agree that Ireland has way too many people in this category.

peace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 splitterung

Thought you guys might be intrested in some of the newer tunes i've been writing
    have a listen at
    www.myspace.com/culturevandalspace

can i use the bordom bit in a bio or something, still love it, as for the knickerdropping comment, if you met me you'd know how wrong that statement really was lol

Advertisement