Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydiving

Options
  • 28-08-2008 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Guys

Me and my mates looking to try skydiving.

Wheres a good place to start?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

www.skydiveireland.ie

see the other two threads here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carmelite535

So whats available and how much?

Can I go up attached to an instructor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yeah, you can do either Tandem(attached to an instructor) or solo Static Line, out the door on your own, after training.

Approx 30 mins trianing for Tandem.
    6-8 hrs training for Static line.

oops forgot the prices.

320.00 yoyo to jump either Tandem or S/L. plus Insurance or you can do it for charity. You raise 640.00, you jump free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

There's also the Irish Parachute Club near Edenderry.
    http://www.skydive.ie/

Skydive Ireland take you up 8000 feet, the Edenderry crowd take you up to 12,000 for the same money. Nicer facilities too.

This is wierd.

I googled "irishparachuteclub" but I ended up getting "Skydive Ireland."

Which is which?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

Skydive Ireland: Based in Nenagh.
    Irish Parachute Club: Based in Edenderry.

I suppose a lot depends on what end of the country you live in. I'm based in Tipperary and at first had planned to call up to the Parachute Club in Edenderry, its what was suggested to me by a mate who jumped a Tandem there and said he had a great time, also theres one in Carlow I believe, Closer still, But at the end of the day Skydiveireland.ie was closer to me by far, and fairly central. And I had a bet on.:D

At the end of the day, thats all bollocks....Skydiving.....its jumping out of airplanes isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

solace wrote: »
    Skydive Ireland: Based in Nenagh.
    Irish Parachute Club: Based in Edenderry.

which is better ?

Look up...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iceage wrote: »
    Look up...:)

:D

a jump is a jump:)

• Advertisement

I'd say for the first time, its a personal thing, your there ( Edenderry, Nenagh,Carlow, California, Spain etc) to do this, be it attached to somebody, on your own, or really high with a couple of instructors. I've only had the one..so honestly, what do I know?..if your up for it, check them ALLout then make the dicision. And when you do, come back here and tell us all about it:D cos thats what its all about! Its the most exzilerating experience your allowed to do without breaking any laws:p

but hey, ask away mate, I know **** anyway!!! I went to Nenagh cos it suited, I was after something, they gave it to me, and then some!! Sweet. :)

Try for yourself.

If you google "irishparachuteclub" you keep getting Skydive Ireland.

What's going on here?

think you need to ask google! I get both of them up when I google irish parachute club. Maybe its alphabetical? Skydiveireland versus The irish parachute and skydive centre?? who knows...

hey, who cares!! where are you based? which one is closer to you?...Please forgive the glib comment, of course if your the one wanting to jump out of a plane your going to want to be sure that your going to the right place. Personally I can only speak for one of them, see posts above. I don't want this to appear to be a advert for anyone in particular, because in all honesty I was heading to the other place until I came across one closer to me, then I did my research. Its very important to feel happy with and confident that you have picked the right one for you.

We are blessed in so far as ireland has an inpeccable record as far as safety in Skydiving is concerned and I believe that this is down to the training and safety standards that are applied to the sport in this country. Jeez, listen to me, like I know something!!! hey man, if your up for it, go for it, you WILL NOT regret it. :)

Word of warning: make sure you know which parachute club you're dealing with before you pay up.

When I jumped at Edenderry, there was a guy there who'd booked and paid with the wrong "irish parachute club!"

Whoops!! and for that special mistake, (Mastercard Ad) priceless.:eek:

Did he get to jump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FestivalFox

There's also the Irish Parachute Club near Edenderry.
    http://www.skydive.ie/

Skydive Ireland take you up 8000 feet, the Edenderry crowd take you up to 12,000 for the same money. Nicer facilities too.

Thats not true, they take you to 10000 feet at SDI, thats what my alti says everytime I jump! :) Also, the views from the SDI DZ are much better. You have the silvermines mountains at one side and on the other you have lough derg. Spectacular! At the IPC in Edenderry you have bog... in every direction.

Lake on one side, mountains on the other, Skydivers screaming to earth inbetween!:D

Guys I just had to put this up, ignore the title its hilarious.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kTllTnRegE&NR=1

none of that really happens..cept this one time....vomit on a Tandem Master at your own peril:p

I stuck up my own jump on youtube, this has given me ideas to take the pi*s out my own leap of faith!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FestivalFox

This is my favorite, Priceless!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiaN5x2dn7k

yeah, he was terrified!! but got himself sorted out. Fair dues.

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Whoops!! and for that special mistake, (Mastercard Ad) priceless.:eek:

Did he get to jump?

He did; don't know if he got his money back from the Nenagth club though. They said it was non-refundable.

How do you confuse Nenagh Co.Tipperary with Edenderry Co.Offaly ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im sure the insinuation is that he was led to believe he was talking to the ipc and paid them but was actually talking to nenagh

personally i dont believe they would do that but whatever

on a plus side we signed up 200 new members to skydive ul yesterday things are going to get buuusssyyyy

How many will let you chuck them out of a plane though?

Advertisement