Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lambda sensor

Options
  • 28-08-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My lambda sensor in my Toyota Yaris needs to be replaced. How important is it or can I just leave it alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

My lambda sensor in my Toyota Yaris needs to be replaced. How important is it or can I just leave it alone?

Well clearly its important if they fitted it to the vehicle, it controls the emissions from the vehicle... You should get it replaced if its faulty... They go on every car eventually.

Also there's a small possibility you could damage your CAT if you drive around with it broken. Also it will effect your MPG, so by not getting it done its costing you money anyway.

They are usually straight forward to replace, not sure about the yaris, but probably a 5 to 10 min job, assuming its not ceased in place. The part will typically be about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

it'll make a difference to your emmissions if your doin an NCT anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NurseTrixie

Thanks for the advice guys. Passed the NCT in April so ok on that front. I suppose what I'm worried about is whether the engine will explode or if the car will break down suddenly if I don't replace it asap.

One more question - any ideas on where to get a replacement for around the €100 mark? Toyota dealer quoted me 180 plus VAT. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for the advice guys. Passed the NCT in April so ok on that front. I suppose what I'm worried about is whether the engine will explode or if the car will break down suddenly if I don't replace it asap.

One more question - any ideas on where to get a replacement for around the €100 mark? Toyota dealer quoted me 180 plus VAT. Thanks again :)

The price sounds about right for a dealer to be honest... the €100 above i quoted is just for the part... it might be slightly more / less for your car... so €80 euro to replace it isn't bad for a dealer, typically they will charge in one hour units, even if its a ten minute job, to account for booking the car in /out etc....

Any mechanic should be able to change this for you, so if you had someone local they might to it for 1/2 the labour that the dealer would charge. But you still have the price of the sensor, so you might be looking at €140 vs €180.

If you post your rough location, i'm sure some of the boardsies here will be able to advise on someone local who could do this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NurseTrixie

thanks. I'm in Kilmainham. The €180 was just for the part. Its another 90 plus vat to have it fitted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Try doing a search on the Yaris forum on the Toyota owners club website.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

thanks. I'm in Kilmainham. The €180 was just for the part. Its another 90 plus vat to have it fitted!
    sure its not the other way round

any 5/8th could fit it

Advertisement