Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

costs??

Options
  • 28-08-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

hi. im looking to see how much a horse would cost monthly on average as im thinking about getting one. i know the price of the horse. i have a good size field and also an old stable. it would be ridden at shows but only at the local equestrian center but not professionally also at lessons and treks about our local area as we are very remote. does anyone have any idea??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

you also need a companion (however I don't think that its proper for a horse to be kept alone) so you may want to think about buying and looking after a companion. or you could possibly loan one from either a private person or the ISPCA sometimes have ponies looking for homes.

feed starts at roughly €10 a bag
    hay can vary for €15-€25 for a large round bale, average of about €2.50 for a small square bale.
    bedding is straw or shavings but personally I prefer rubber mats for a shelter.
    my vet charges €80 for a checkup + any treatment/meds required
    then there is wormer, farrier, insurance etc.
    immediate costs would be tack and equipment which depends on what sort of stuff you want really. you can buy simple things like brushes, headcollars etc. quite cheap if you look online but a saddle needs to be properly fitted so that's quite a big expense.
    good luck with you're horse shopping anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

OP there has been alot of threads lately about this. If you search you should find a good summary.

I would suggest that excluding renting a stable a horse can cost anything between 100-200 euro a month. In my experience.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317111

Because you asked about the cost of keeping a horse i won't get into another debate about keeping a horse alone or not

This is your second thread on this in 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

i have a dog thats well used to horses and is often playing in the field so i got a companion as wel as two horses down the road. as for sending it twice....im sorry i didnt know!

Advertisement