Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR open beta download available!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Beta is a test run of everything to come. Account creation included.
    There are a tonne of changes to be made in order to link account creation to the game securely.

When hundreds of thousands of people all try to log in to the same site at the same time, guess what happens?? The site slows, and problems arise.
    Everyone could have created accounts months in advance, but instead waited till the last second. Who's fault is that?

GOA are doing a great job, and until they actually owe anyone anything, I think some patience would be appreciated by them.

eh what are you smoking? Are you working for them? Pray tell me how that you can deduce from this mess that they are doing a great job lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Everyone could have created accounts months in advance, but instead waited till the last second. Who's fault is that?

GOA's actually, they wrongly told everyone that if they weren't a closed beta tester, then they needed a fresh account. This wasn't true, anyone who signed up to the site previously, only needed to add a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

This thread should be locked.... Its diluted to the point of no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well they are based in Dublin, wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for some people on boards to be working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

zekiel wrote: »

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why should it be locked ? I think it should stay open until we are all in the beta. Its a good source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Beta is a test run of everything to come. Account creation included.
    There are a tonne of changes to be made in order to link account creation to the game securely.

When hundreds of thousands of people all try to log in to the same site at the same time, guess what happens?? The site slows, and problems arise.

There aren't that many changes to be made (almost all of which have been made over the last few years while the game was in development), and again, the changes have nothing to do with the activation problems.

The activation server just had to log peoples registrations and validate them. After that, the information is sent to the game servers. But people didn't get that far. The registration servers went tits up. There was plenty of time before the beta went live to allow people to register and take the strain off the servers, but GOA didn't do that. Somehow, GOA felt that there'd be no problem. And they were wrong.

This is why it makes sense to compare to the US. GOA had to do the exact same thing the US counterparts had to do. And they didn't. And we have a cock up. As I said before, they should have tested the activation servers long before they tried testing the beta servers. With less time spent on beta testing you end up like Age Of Conan, with people still testing the game after launch.
    GOA are doing a great job, and until they actually owe anyone anything, I think some patience would be appreciated by them.

No, they're not doing anything that even remotely looks like a good job. Of course patience would be appreciated by them. Nobody wants to be told that they're f*cking something up.
    zekiel wrote: »

There's no point locking it as there's just going to be another thread opened with teh exact same content. This'll save the hassle. :d

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Reading Da Bouncas posts suggests he/she works for GOA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Latest update is that a new code registration page will be up at 16.00 CET (15.00 Irish time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Tusky wrote: »
    Why should it be locked ? I think it should stay open until we are all in the beta. Its a good source of information.

I don't see it as being a good source of information anymore, it was. Now its just people complaining and counter-complaining (if thats a word at all..). Which I dont find constructive

Whatever the issues are, nothing we do here will have any reflection on the outcome, so I don't see the point in disputing it.

Also the thread seems like its getting heated and if everyone is arguing all ready then I think its a bad start for what will be your guild / mates.

Maybe I just need to find a carebear server... and carebear boards...

Perhaps locking it would be a bit too much all right, I retract my initial statement about said locking :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

were are you getting the updates Wreck?

also http://onlinegamesareanichemarket.wordpress.com/ MArk jacobs blog, good read, seems like GOA CEO apolgised to mhtyic saying it was their fault for the cock up

I don't see it as being a good source of information anymore, it was. Now its just people complaining and counter-complaining (if thats a word at all..). Which I dont find constructive

Whatever the issues are, nothing we do here will have any reflection on the outcome, so I don't see the point in disputing it.

Also the thread seems like its getting heated and if everyone is arguing all ready then I think its a bad start for what will be your guild / mates.

Perhaps locking it would be a bit too much all right, I retract my initial statement about said locking :o

its just a bit of banter... people like complaing, people like arguing.. its all a game in the end.

Maybe someone should make a new thread purely for updates on the situation. We could keep all complaining, moaning & opinions away from the thread and use it purely for information.

UPDATE!!

"As we told you in previous news, the account validation system has been taken offline while our technical teams work on it. A lot of work has been done and some of the hardware on the database server has been changed as well as a lot of software improvements and our teams are still working hard to prepare the systems.

As a result, we will launch a new code registration page today at 16:00 CET. This new page will feature a delay between registration and account validation but you will still receive a confirmation email within a few minutes of creating your account.

If you had already created an account yesterday and have a validation email then you will still be able to follow the link from that email after 16:00 today to validate your account, if you do not have an email then you should create a new account as described above.

Thank you for your patience."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

toxick wrote: »
    were are you getting the updates Wreck?

also http://onlinegamesareanichemarket.wordpress.com/ MArk jacobs blog, good read, seems like GOA CEO apolgised to mhtyic saying it was their fault for the cock up

The apology is up on war-europe.com a few items down from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Awww .. I'll be your carebear Stat <3:p

Dcully wrote: »
    UPDATE!!

"As we told you in previous news, the account validation system has been taken offline while our technical teams work on it. A lot of work has been done and some of the hardware on the database server has been changed as well as a lot of software improvements and our teams are still working hard to prepare the systems.

As a result, we will launch a new code registration page today at 16:00 CET. This new page will feature a delay between registration and account validation but you will still receive a confirmation email within a few minutes of creating your account.

If you had already created an account yesterday and have a validation email then you will still be able to follow the link from that email after 16:00 today to validate your account, if you do not have an email then you should create a new account as described above.

Thank you for your patience."

16:00...blah. So theres no point trying to register before 16:00 then ?

Spear wrote: »
    The apology is up on war-europe.com a few items down from the top.

i cant even access their site, due to it being a flash site :(

Ive started a new thread on updates lads,lets try keep updates in there and other chat out of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

There's nothing here to warrant locking the thread.
    Nor is a thread going off-topic a bit deal in my book.

• Advertisement

There's nothing here to warrant locking the thread.
    Nor is a thread going off-topic a bit deal in my book.
    Well at the risk of dragging the thread further off topic, how come your profile doesn't say you're a Warhammer Mod when you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So what you want is the same level of service for Beta testers as for the full game? You do understand why they are Beta testing right? Ignoring the US, they more then likely have very good staff and a good infrastructure. Look at it this way, if this happens on launch day I would cancel the account and never look back as they are hopeless at their job. But its not launch day and they are trying to get rid of the major bugs.
    Do you not think this should have been done earlier in the beta process though? Do you think they will genuinely be able to sort out all of the problems in a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

humanji wrote: »
    Well at the risk of dragging the thread further off topic, how come your profile doesn't say you're a Warhammer Mod when you are?

I have an evil twin...

just a question, but what type of abuse did GOA get on WHA forums? i see some posts by officals saying that the abuse was uncalled for ect.. like ya kinda worrying when people take it to the limit of giving death threats to this misshap.. ya im annoyed but far from death threats :P

just a question, but what type of abuse did GOA get on WHA forums? i see some posts by officals saying that the abuse was uncalled for ect.. like ya kinda worrying when people take it to the limit of giving death threats to this misshap.. ya im annoyed but far from death threats :P

Here's a quick example.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76706

Asking where they live and others demanding they be set on fire.

I reckon Mythic will ensure GOA get their act together.
    Im sure they realise a new MMO needs Europe to succeed and cant just rely on US to make them profitable.
    Ive every confidence Mythic just wont stand by and let it continue to be a disaster.
    Im pretty sure the CEO announcement was because of a major rollicking from Mythic.

Im pretty sure the CEO announcement was because of a major rollicking from Mythic.

Exactly.. i say mythic aint taking any **** from GOA and making sure they are up to speed with everything, with passed expierances from DAoC... more then likely GOA pulled some massive strings to get this, and are probably on thin ice

I have an evil twin...
    :eek:
    Spear wrote: »
    Here's a quick example.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76706

Asking where they live and others demanding they be set on fire.

Dear lord. Some people take things a little too seriously. The only reason I'm pissed off is that instead of getting to play it yesterday, I had nothing to do but watch the A-Team for 7 hours. And they weren't even good episodes. They were from the last season. I f*cking hate Frankie Santana!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    I reckon Mythic will ensure GOA get their act together.
    Im sure they realise a new MMO needs Europe to succeed and cant just rely on US to make them profitable.
    Ive every confidence Mythic just wont stand by and let it continue to be a disaster.

I say GOA are on very thin ice at the moment with Mythic. So we may get really great customer service when the game goes live because they'll want to be on Mythics good side from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only reason GOA are even involved is because they were fortunate enough to sign a deal with Mythic, before EA bought Mythic out. If the developers had have been able to hang of for a few more weeks without putting pen to paper, there wouldn't be this divisive mess.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

They should have opened up the registeration a long time ago, not yesterday at 12.30 am. Everyone knew there was going to be problems, and what is even more dissapointing its nerly 24 hours later and still the problem is not sorted. No one knows whats happening GOA arent communicating with the player base, that is what im annoyed at. I dont care tha we cant get in, cause i epxtected it being a past constumer of GOA, and knowing that with such a large player base, this thing would happening

What i am annoyed at is the lack of cummonication coming from GOA exsplaining to us what is happening. Not epxecting this to happen, and have some sort of backup plan to put into action and to relise that opening up the registration and servers at the same time is stupid. It just means that there will be less people on Beta and then people will be trinkling trough the registration at a slow pace, filling the servers at a slow base.

Yes it is a Beta, yes it is there to test. But Registration isnt part of the testing, Mhytic are doing it right, opening up the reigistration way befor opening up the servers, so now there player base gets to actual test the game, and what i can see from them is they found a good amount of bugs that they applied hotfixes to.

No the testing is for the game, if i wanted to test if firefox f5 key is function i would of applied for the firefox beta testing. Like i said befor, its a simple the registration isnt part of the testing, they should of had it sorted a long time ago.

i would be more patienct if i knew what is happening, GOA has completly left us in the blank here, and i think that is not right, that is why im frustrated, that is why im annoyed.

And the thing is, these issues wont be sorted for the early-start/launch they will continue to expand and more problems will arise.

Who says the account page isn't part of the testing? Why not? Seems integral to the game system as a whole.

I know everyone seems to be having a go at GOA but to be fair, I suspect at least some of the problems have been beyond their control. I wonder how much of the current problems are actually EA/Mythic's fault. For example, EA Store didn't send beta codes out until yesterday I think it was. So even if the account page was open ages ago, I'd say there still would have been an overload.

Anyway, I think people should cut GOA some slack while this is still in beta. They seem to be eager to please, judging from the messages from them this morning. Making up for past wrongs no doubt. I can understand how people who just want to play are frustrated but a lot of the complaining really is over the top. I mean assuming they do what they say, then the Europe beta has successfully sorted out the registration issues and otherwise delayed people playing what, 48 hours? And all this just beta play, which will be wiped in 2 weeks anyway. Really not the end of the world.

Advertisement