Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR open beta download available!

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

For example, EA Store didn't send beta codes out until yesterday I think it was. So even if the account page was open ages ago, I'd say there still would have been an overload.
    I got mine very early saturday morning.

I'm fairly pleased with the information they've given and if they are not telling porkies. My earlier thoughts in this thread seem to be waaay of the mark for which i'm very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Maximilian wrote: »
    Who says the account page isn't part of the testing? Why not? Seems integral to the game system as a whole.
    Because you don't stress test two things at the same time. It's like going into your leaving cert exams and being handed your English and your Math paper at the same time. If you muck up one and have to keep going over it, you're going to have no time left to do the other. It's a much better idea to do one test and then when that's finished, do the other.
    Maximilian wrote: »

I know everyone seems to be having a go at GOA but to be fair, I suspect at least some of the problems have been beyond their control. I wonder how much of the current problems are actually EA/Mythic's fault. For example, EA Store didn't send beta codes out until yesterday I think it was. So even if the account page was open ages ago, I'd say there still would have been an overload.

Anyway, I think people should cut GOA some slack while this is still in beta. They seem to be eager to please, judging from the messages from them this morning. Making up for past wrongs no doubt. I can understand how people who just want to play are frustrated but a lot of the complaining really is over the top. I mean assuming they do what they say, then the Europe beta has successfully sorted out the registration issues and otherwise delayed people playing what, 48 hours? And all this just beta play, which will be wiped in 2 weeks anyway. Really not the end of the world.

And although it's annoying to not be playing the game, the real point is that the game needs to be tested for bugs and to be stress tested. The less time there is to test it, the less bugs will be found and the shoddier the release.

As I keep pointing out, AoC is the perfect example. It was a good concept destroyed by too many bugs and lack of development time. Everybody wants the end product to be fantastic (well except WoW fanboys, but nuts to them! :D ), and that's what I want most. When I start up a new character I don't want to have to deal with a load of niggling little bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

humanji wrote: »
    And although it's annoying to not be playing the game, the real point is that the game needs to be tested for bugs and to be stress tested. The less time there is to test it, the less bugs will be found and the shoddier the release.

As I keep pointing out, AoC is the perfect example. It was a good concept destroyed by too many bugs and lack of development time. Everybody wants the end product to be fantastic (well except WoW fanboys, but nuts to them! :D ), and that's what I want most. When I start up a new character I don't want to have to deal with a load of niggling little bugs.

you can't compare AoC and WAR. AoC you couldn't get outside of tortage in closed or open beta(well i think they let people out on the last day for the FFA pvp day but that was a bit of a joke), they didn't EVER lift beta NDAs, they had a 1/5th of a game made and they hid the fact that the rest was incomplete until everyone bought it.

WAR had a long closed beta, just because the open beta is short doesn't mean it hasn't been in testing. Also the NDA has been lifted, the entire 1-40 has been played by many people.

I don't know what the devs are thinking but from what I can see open beta is purely a stress test(of all the different parts websites/signups/server stability etc.) rather than a gameplay test. And saying you don't stress test two things at the same time is absurd. You can't stress test a server without already having the website gone through it in a short space of time...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

humanji wrote: »
    Because you don't stress test two things at the same time. It's like going into your leaving cert exams and being handed your English and your Math paper at the same time. If you muck up one and have to keep going over it, you're going to have no time left to do the other. It's a much better idea to do one test and then when that's finished, do the other.

I can't see why testing multiple elements simultaneously is not possible or even problematic. I don't mean to be argumentative but your analogy is a bad one. This is nothing at all like being given two exams at once. This is more like 30 people getting a different exam at once, except the there was a problem at the printers and 29 people didn't get their papers.

The US part of the beta has already yielded bug-fixes etc. I don't think this delay is in anyway significant. This is not in anyway like AoC at all. We're talking 24 hours into the bloody thing here.

The game has not launched people! Stop complaining as though it has.

Funky wrote: »
    you can't compare AoC and WAR. AoC you couldn't get outside of tortage in closed or open beta(well i think they let people out on the last day for the FFA pvp day but that was a bit of a joke), they didn't EVER lift beta NDAs, they had a 1/5th of a game made and they hid the fact that the rest was incomplete until everyone bought it.

WAR had a long closed beta, just because the open beta is short doesn't mean it hasn't been in testing. Also the NDA has been lifted, the entire 1-40 has been played by many people.

I don't know what the devs are thinking but from what I can see open beta is purely a stress test(of all the different parts websites/signups/server stability etc.) rather than a gameplay test. And saying you don't stress test two things at the same time is absurd. You can't stress test a server without already having the website gone through it in a short space of time...
    The point of the AoC reference is to show that releasing a game full of bugs will end up biting you on the ass. There's already been loads of bugs already found from the US beta, which, thankfully, won't be there on release.

And to explain the double testing in simple terms:

You have a game to be released in one months time. You need to stress test the activation server and stress test the game server. Which is better:

a) You test the activation early in the month, allowing you to make adjustments, fix problems and leaving you plenty of time to deal with problems arising from the game server test, or

b) Wait til the end of the month and do both at the same time?

GOA chose option b, and as a result the time left to find bugs is reduced (especially since it was the weekend which most people will have off work/school and will be able to test all day long).

Can you honestly say it's better to rush everything through in the last minute than to give yourself plenty of time to do it right?

And again, nobody is complaining about the launch. People are complaining about GOA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

well fair enough you have valid points if the actual launch fails, but i don't think you can say that it will with any certainty just from the last couple of days

Oh, I'm not saying it will be. I'm just saying that they're giving themselves no margin for error if something goes wrong, which would be disastrous for them if something does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Has anyone played it? If so, is it any good?

Advertisement