Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR open beta download available!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

It seems to be open again, but its back to the same ol errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Kiith wrote: »
    While i understand that this is the beta, and things are expected to go wrong, its the organisation from GOA that i just cant understand. It makes so sense to have every single beta user still waiting to register the beta, when its supposed to start later that day. Surely they could have allowed people to register and patch their client, so that 100k people (or whatever number it is) dont bombard their servers at the same time (which they obviously cant handle). I dunno. I'm in work now though, so it doesnt matter to me either way.

They probably want to do stress testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Playboy wrote: »
    Just canceled my Collectors edition after this farce.

If the beta delivers a good game then I might order a regular account.

Because you can't get into the Beta on the first day? There is so much wrong with doing that I don't even know where to start.

This is a Stress Test. Its to iron out the problems that will crop up. That means registration issues, log in problems. Its next to impossible to simulate 100,000+ people hamming a site with F5.

You didn't pay for the Beta. You paid for the game. You have a right to complain about the game when it comes out if their is problems(like AOC). You are owed nothing here and have nothing to back you up if their are registration issues like now. You are a willing tester. That's all you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Da Bounca wrote: »
    They probably want to do stress testing.

Exactly, this is what's going to happen on day 1 of retail being released. Reg server and patch servers being hit harder then this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Before i begin, i agree that this is a Beta and the level of moaning is way over the top (not necessarily on here but in general). That said however...
    This is a Stress Test. Its to iron out the problems that will crop up. That means registration issues, log in problems. Its next to impossible to simulate 100,000+ people hamming a site with F5.
    At no point in the release of this game will demand of the authentication servers ever be as high as it was today. You had 100,000 ish Beta players(probably your hardcore players) hitting the servers within the space of a couple hours*. Why did they all hit it in such a small space of time? It's a sunday and everyone (well almost) is home and waiting for it, that's why.

The actual launch will be on a Thursday so players will be joining throughout the day lessening the load on the server until it peaks about 6 cet when mainland europe gets home from work followed an hour later by the UK and Ireland. On top of this they have quite smartly allowed "headstarts" for pre-orderer's which will lessen the load even more on release day.

I have no idea why GOA expected their servers to hold up with minor problems. 100,000 eager players hitting your authentication servers (in most cases "having" to create new accounts) in the space of a couple of hours will bring almost all sites to their knees (they had over 2 million non-unique hits in the first couple of hours). Have they not learned from their DAoC launch or the resonably well documented launches of other MMORPG games?

The thing that really gets me however is that Mythic and EA in the US managed to have a relatively trouble free Beta launch (The people who actually deveoped and own the game). How you may ask? Clearer communication played a major factor but mainly it was the ability to enter the beta codes before launch. They seemed to realise that these beta testers could very well be some of their most important players and that a good beta launch was needed to show that they were a professional outfit able to handle this game properly. To create a positive feeling around the game and their customers. They seem to have succeeded for the most part as well. Europe on the other hand seems to have the exact opposite reaction. With faith in GOA incredibly low and for the majority, unhappy customers which will no doubt create negative publicity.

Of course all this is irrelevant if the US has these problems on launch and GOA doesn't in which case GOA will be vindicated but i find that highly unlikely.

O and marketing the fact that all pre-orders will get beta access makes it part of the package your paying for and therefore part of the service. The people who did pre-order therefore deserve decent communication at least and at the minimum the ability to get into the game after 12hrs.

*In comparision WoW Europe launch had 250,000 sales on launch day. Now assuming that all 250,000 activated their accounts on the same day, thats 250,000 spread over the course of a day, not 100,000 over a couple of hours. Does anyone think Warhammer will see those numbers on launch day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

im still erroring 414

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well my patcher has finally started working, 4% done of the 200mb so shouldn't be too long now i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i finally registered and the email but i cant authenticate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Because you can't get into the Beta on the first day? There is so much wrong with doing that I don't even know where to start.

You didn't pay for the Beta. You paid for the game. You have a right to complain about the game when it comes out if their is problems(like AOC). You are owed nothing here and have nothing to back you up if their are registration issues like now. You are a willing tester. That's all you are.

lol clueless. Listen cuddle .. I have been a customer of GOA's for a long time so I know what to expect from them. I held out hope that things would be different this time around but they are exactly the same. If you believe the bull about stress testing authentication servers then good for you. Its funny that our american counterparts didnt feel the need to do similar tests. Also when the european playerbase raised their fears about this launch with GOA .. they were categorically told that these servers were tested already and would hold up no problem to todays load.

Aside from this we have a ridiculous contempt for the waiting players by providing sparse and inadequate feedback to let them know what is going on. What kind of company lets thousands of people waste a day hitting f5 so they can 'stress test' .. lol give me a fckin break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

On the lighter side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

ahahaha that video is brilliant

(on a darker side) whats the point in crying about how the game is failing when it hasn't even launched. if the launch is bad it's bad, but it certainly wasn't decided today. don't see the use in mass hysteria over a bad beta launch...

people seem to think they're owed something on the first day of an open beta, people are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yo - just home. Any point in me trying to register ? Is it working for any of yea ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

nope its still down. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Youch. Doubt they are still working on it at this hour so it will probably be tomorrow before its fixed...at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Some weirdness now. During the registration process, I had been receiving the usual time out errors, then i would get errors details that had been previously accecpted making me change them. Now I got 2 emails confirming registration of 2 of the account names i had tried earlier today. I'm getting the impression that about 6 or 7 of my attempts to register succeeded, desipite being told they failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

it seems even if they failed in the last step of the process, they'll still get validated and you'll recieve an email asking you to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I coud have saved myself a few hours of spamming confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

State of the Situation - 2AM CET

We have encountered serious problems with the authentication system since this morning, while the stability of the game servers, the speed of the patcher and the performance of the downloader have all been satisfactory. This issue, combined with an exceptional amount of traffic and a fault which was not identified during the extensive tests we ran on our platform has unfortunately limited the access to our servers to only a few of you along with our closed beta testers who had already been a part of the closed beta.

Throughout the day, we have reconfigured the authentication and database servers several times, both of which suffered under the huge number of simultaneous connections. The investigations and corrections we have done so far were essentially targeting the parts of the system which doesn’t require a complete stop of the writing process in the database. This means we preferred to keep the database turned on during the day to let it work on the huge number of accounts that were being handled at the time. This operation will continue throughout the night and, when complete, we will shut down the database and reconfigure it.

If the operation works as expected, we can once again give you access to the account page and let you register your code for the open beta. We expect to the whole maintenance to be finished late Monday morning.

Naturally, we will keep you informed of the development of this maintenance and we expect to give you an update in the morning.

We thank you for patience and humbly ask for your understanding.
    meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

KoKane wrote: »
    meh

my thoughts exactly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Pity, was hoping reg might be easier at this hour.

• Advertisement

Dear all,

I rarely address players directly, but I wanted to write you as too few of you have been able to access the open beta today.

As my team explained in the previous post, although we have opened the servers and corrected numerous issues during the last 24 hours but we have not yet solved the issue of saturated Open Beta key activations that we’re currently experiencing. I am sincerely sorry for this, and I understand all the frustration the situation has spawned.

Today was a dark day. We expected a massive influx of players, but reality was even harsher.
    I personally commit that we will communicate to you as clearly as possible on the resolution of these current issues. My goal is to give Warhammer Online the success it deserves. Be ensured that all GOA teams, with Mythic’s support, are working hard to bring you the best possible game experience.

Best regards,
    Ghislaine Le Rhun
    GOA CEO

GOA not starting well in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Mythic must have given them a bollocking. Yesterday was a total disaster, which could so easily have been avoided.

Finally got registered. Bastards don't allow numbers in your username and since root is always taken i'm stuck with with rootie. :mad:

Still haven't been able to log in since the maintenance was announced. Hope this **** doesn't carry to the start of the actual game. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

R0ot wrote: »
    GOA not starting well in my books.

This isn't the start. I've been following the game for some time and have been active on www.warhammeralliance.com for a good while now. All of the problems and issues that are being experienced now were predicted months ago, the shoddy treatment of European customers by GOA has been going on for months and leaves me with no confidence in them to run a major MMORPG. At the moment I'm considering the €12 I spent on the Collector's Edition pre-order box lost money and won't be buying it at launch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally....got my key from EA. Have an account created, but i cant login now. 1103 error message for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

tee, this is why I'm not bothering with either beta or early access.
    Both lotro and AoC where just as bad, it seems par for the course with mmorpg public beta's and early access.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really hadnt planned on going with the beta, thinking it might mess with my expectations of the game, but i could resist in the end. Damn you brain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

What a joke of a situation we find ourselves in. Dont expect GOA to learn from their mistakes either.

Seriously pissed with Mythic for not listening to their EU DAoC customers and allowing GOA to run WAR EU. Just as much their fault for hiring these incompetent twats with there idiotic flash sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

ahh come on now lads, you all expected this anyways from GOA with there shady expierances... we all knew this ****e would happen

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It's only the beta. Isn't this the point of running a it in the first place? Better they sort out the problems now than when they launch. It's no big deal.

Advertisement