Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Tramore Road closed

Options
  • 28-08-2008 7:06pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to give people the heads up... the Waterford - Tramore road is closed from just past The Halfway House right until you enter Tramore. Diversions are in place towards the back road. The reason for the closure is due to the road being re-surfaced.. with loose chippings (which I hope wont be permanent!). The road is still passable.. with the hard shoulder being fine but the main road having the chippings. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i was wondering what the hell the road was closed for. hope it's back open tomorrow. it's bloody torture going along the back road in a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loose fvcking chippings, Christ I really thought we were getting beyond that era.

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i was wondering what the hell the road was closed for. hope it's back open tomorrow. it's bloody torture going along the back road in a bus.

hahaha ya I noticed. Was going to tell the driver to head though the Tramore road anyway :p

Loose chippings are grand on some roads, but please don't tell me there going to do it on the Tramore road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

The bunch of clowns in the co council can't seem to realise that loose chipping on a road that has an 80kmph is crazy or else they like cutting corners and won't spend money on proper tarmac

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shanemul wrote: »
    The bunch of clowns in the co council can't seem to realise that loose chipping on a road that has an 80kmph is crazy or else they like cutting corners and won't spend money on proper tarmac

I was kinda hoping that they would put tarmac over the chippings as I really dont see the point in putting those on a MAIN ROAD and one of the busiest roads. The Fenor road has the chippings at 80kmph btw :)

• Advertisement

Yeah but thats a rural road not a main road like the tramore rd that carried thousands of cars a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Absolute muppets. The state they left the road in over the weekend was shocking. I had my windscreen pelted 3 times by chippings on the way back from town on Saturday morning, and will probably end up having to replace it, as it's badly marked. If so, this'll be the second time I've had to stump up for a new windscreen because of those donkeys (previous one done in by loose chippings over by Bunmahon about 2 years ago). I was livid and called the council "emergency" line, and was ensured a road inspector would call me back. My arse. I'm still waiting, but not holding my breath.

What really bugs me is that the road will probably end up with a worse surface than it had before, as that stretch really wasn't that bad. The money would have been much better spent on the stretch between Superquinn and Ballindud which is in a dreadful state (I'm just back from france where the have signs occasionally warning about "Chausee deformee" - basically uneven surface - I have to laugh and wonder what they'd make of the average Irish road). The idea of the city and co. councils actually having the sense to cooperate however is probably laughable.

Joe Conway was giving out about the closure of the road saying it was bad timing and blaming the council for not maintaining the road that is so historical etc. Personally think the current format is worse then ever, but they know best I suppose. They are putting this surface down in a lot of places around Waterford it seems.

Did you get your call back? They seemed to have cleaned up the road a bit and removed excess chippings that were on the side of the road and on the main road itself.

Sully wrote: »
    Joe Conway was giving out about the closure of the road saying it was bad timing and blaming the council for not maintaining the road that is so historical etc. Personally think the current format is worse then ever, but they know best I suppose. They are putting this surface down in a lot of places around Waterford it seems.

It's shocking that they do it on a busy route though. I grew up in Donegal and while they've always used the loose chippings approach on back roads, but they've always done a proper job on busy roads (not always 'N' roads)
    Did you get your call back? They seemed to have cleaned up the road a bit and removed excess chippings that were on the side of the road and on the main road itself.

I never got a call back, but I called again myself midweek to give out that they'd never bothered their arse to call me, and I actually spoke to the engineer in Tramore that would've been the one to call me, and it was the first he heard of it.

He agreed with me that that style of road surface is "particularly Irish" and the reason is that it give "best value for money". I put it to him that the councils "value for money" is at the expense of road users who've already paid for the roads through road tax having to foot the bills to repair their windscreens, or cyclists picking stones out of their legs, and he said he didn't know anything about that.

What he did say though was that if you do end up with a repair bill as a result of a road being left in a mess by the council, take a photo of the damage and forward the bill onto them. They'll probably ignore it but if they get enough, they might revise their notion of "value for money"

JMcL wrote: »
    It's shocking that they do it on a busy route though. I grew up in Donegal and while they've always used the loose chippings approach on back roads, but they've always done a proper job on busy roads (not always 'N' roads)

The only thing I can think of, bar saving money, is that they want to slow traffic down as it comes into the town. Now, to be fair, I don't think I have seen many cars speeding into the town. Most traffic slows to the speed limit!
    I never got a call back, but I called again myself midweek to give out that they'd never bothered their arse to call me, and I actually spoke to the engineer in Tramore that would've been the one to call me, and it was the first he heard of it.

He agreed with me that that style of road surface is "particularly Irish" and the reason is that it give "best value for money". I put it to him that the councils "value for money" is at the expense of road users who've already paid for the roads through road tax having to foot the bills to repair their windscreens, or cyclists picking stones out of their legs, and he said he didn't know anything about that.

Plus, I think most people would prefer to see a decent stretch of road rather then a chipped road there.
    What he did say though was that if you do end up with a repair bill as a result of a road being left in a mess by the council, take a photo of the damage and forward the bill onto them. They'll probably ignore it but if they get enough, they might revise their notion of "value for money"

Iv heard of it being done all right - should be interesting to see how they would react if it happened in Tramore but the load surface seems to have less chippings free now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Morning All,

The 'new' surface on half the TRamore road drives me mental everyday at least twice!
    WHY O WHY did they have to Ruin the perfectly good road that it was! I assume the was a little bit of money lying around and a decision on 'o we better spend that' was made poorly - why didnt they use the surfacing on the Green Road so many cars are using that every morning lately and it's full of potholes.

Anyway I'm wandering off the point - Question - how long does one have to wait after putting down a new (crap) surface before it can be lined?

The road was resurfaced the week before I went on my holidays which works out as the last week of August...that was 10 weeks ago this week.

So now the evenings are drak early and there are no lines on the road - it is very dangerous -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You mention the newly "surfaced" section of the Tramore Road and also the Green Road. Isn't the former in the county and the latter in the city? (So two different budgets?)

Either way though, gotta agree, that road surface is AWFUL. I know KK County Council put that sort of crap on the N9 every so often - drives me cracked - but I expect better from Waterford County Council, especially when you look at the N25 down past Dungarvan and on to Youghal.

Sure the Tramore Road is probably busier than the N25 beyond Kilmeaden, so you'd expect that it would be done properly. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not used it, have they thrown down a hundred tonnes of loose chippings?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Ya, your probably right there about the city and county budgets didnt think of it really - TRamore is such a grey area with the two - I think it gets forgotton by the county and would probably be better off under the city council! That's an arguement for another day though!

Anway yes they have thrown down a mass of loose chippings - it really is awful.. luckily my windscreen is still on one piece so far - I've been using the Orchardstown road at lot more often lately I have noticed it is busier so I assume others are aswell.

You cant even hear the radio in your car when you hit the 'new' section!

Already a topic on the road, so will merge it with the exisiting one. :)

Topic Merged

depaor wrote: »
    Morning All,

The 'new' surface on half the TRamore road drives me mental everyday at least twice!
    WHY O WHY did they have to Ruin the perfectly good road that it was! I assume the was a little bit of money lying around and a decision on 'o we better spend that' was made poorly - why didnt they use the surfacing on the Green Road so many cars are using that every morning lately and it's full of potholes.

Anyway I'm wandering off the point - Question - how long does one have to wait after putting down a new (crap) surface before it can be lined?

The road was resurfaced the week before I went on my holidays which works out as the last week of August...that was 10 weeks ago this week.

So now the evenings are drak early and there are no lines on the road - it is very dangerous -

It's quite shocking, and is really dangerous especially last week in the bad weather with the lack of lines - it's impossible to see the hedges. God help anybody on a bike that's trying to stay in the hard shoulder. I was on the Dunmore road for the first time in a long time yesterday, and there's the same crap there.

I presume it's pointless complaining to the NRA, dept of the Environment etc. I can see the response: "It's a matter for the local authority". What about Cullen? Make him actually do something useful for a change other than be present for the opening of bags of crisps

As to "why", here's a quote from my earlier posting when I finally got to talk to the engineer in Tramore after about a week of trying. Summary straight from the horses mouth: "it's cheap".

He [the engineer in Tramore] agreed with me that that style of road surface is "particularly Irish" and the reason is that it give "best value for money". I put it to him that the councils "value for money" is at the expense of road users who've already paid for the roads through road tax having to foot the bills to repair their windscreens, or cyclists picking stones out of their legs, and he said he didn't know anything about that.

Road is even worse now. The council have placed traffic cones in the center of the road. I assume its to stop people driving in the middle or passing out to stop the loose chirpings hitting other cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

According to the news on the local radio, this is likely to be the surface which will be in place for the next few years because the budget will not allow for it to be changed. Are these clowns for real?:(

According to the news on the local radio, this is likely to be the surface which will be in place for the next few years because the budget will not allow for it to be changed. Are these clowns for real?:(
    yeah i heard that too. what a disgrace.

They are saying that with a local election coming up? My god, they are brave!

• Advertisement

What a bunch of muppets. I really can't believe they're so dumb that the actually signed a contract to get what we've ended up with, if not they should pursue the contractor to leave it in an acceptable state. If they DID sign a contract for that mess, then let's get those knives nice and sharp for the local election next year.

Whatever, somebody needs to put lines down on that road NOW before somebody is seriously injured or even killed

What a bunch of muppets. I really can't believe they're so dumb that the actually signed a contract to get what we've ended up with, if not they should pursue the contractor to leave it in an acceptable state. If they DID sign a contract for that mess, then let's get those knives nice and sharp for the local election next year.

Whatever, somebody needs to put lines down on that road NOW before somebody is seriously injured or even killed

Your talking about the Waterford coco Jmcl it will take for some to get killed or seriously hurt before they do anything

I believe thats why they have the cones down.. and I suppose to stop the chippings flying everywhere during overtaking or driving to close to the center of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

but sure there was noting wrong with the surface on the road , ive used the road for many years now to go to work and never been a problem on it , only seen two crashes on it and i know the people and it was nothing to do with the surface ,

Joe Gt wrote: »
    but sure there was noting wrong with the surface on the road , ive used the road for many years now to go to work and never been a problem on it , only seen two crashes on it and i know the people and it was nothing to do with the surface ,

Exactly the point. These muppets who now claim they're so broke they can't even afford to put lines down on road managed to find the cash to waste on actually making the road surface worse. Who're the local councillors for Tramore? I'm going to start hassling them to see if they can answer why this was done. It was our money that was burned after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

loose chippings should have been taken uwith road sweeper like anywhere else in the country where roads are being surfaced

Update:
    Councillors see red over road surface

By Marion O’Mara

SHOCK has been expressed that the rough, noisy surface on the main Waterford / Tramore Road from Robin Hill to Pickardstown Cross is not to be tarmacadamed for a number of years at least.

Some months ago the twokilometre section of road was closed to traffic as the new rough chipping surface was laid. Motorists believed that the surface was a temporary one, but last week it emerged that there are no plans, in the short term, for an improvement.

Local area engineer told members of the Town Council last week that only surface dressing work was carried out because the road had not reached a standard where a full tarmac overlay was required.

In addition to the type of surface which has been laid, Cllr. Joe Conway complained that there was no central or lateral lining on the new surface linings on part of the road and that the ‘cats eyes’ had been partially covered with tar.

In a written complaint to the County Council’s Director of Transport and Infrastructure, he said that without the lining and because of the condition of the cats eyes, studding the road could be dangerous at times of bad visibility.

He also pointed out that the surface, which was applied in September, had in some parts failed to stick properly.

There has been severe criticism of the road by Tramore businessman, Stan Nangle who told the Waterford News & Star that he had driven extensively in the UK, and also in the US, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Hungary, and had never seen such a ridiculous resurfacing technique used anywhere else, even on rural roads.

“My colleague Paul Jackman has travelled on his motorbike in North Africa and in South America, and he tells me that even in these third world countries they use the asphalt surface used on most other main roads in Ireland. He has never seen tar and chip used anywhere else either.”

Mr. Nangle pointed out that the Tramore Road is one of the busiest roads under the control of Waterford County Council and is treated as a National Primary Road in the County Development Plan, yet was only resurfaced as if it were a boreen.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=cwsngbojey&cat=news

Good. The sniff of electoral blood next year might make them do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I think for this one it is going to be a case of 'who shouts the loudest will be listened to'. It's only 2km. They are re-surfacing from Carrolls Cross to Dunphy's Pub on the N25 now, hardly needed it.

We need to call councillors, even show up at the council meetings, call roads dept and complain, anyway that is my strategy.

Advertisement