Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Tramore Road closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote: »
    This'd be the same set of councillors that'll be knocking on our doors over the coming months, tipping the hat, and saying "Ah go on, sure you'll give us an auld vote won't ye". Mass reminding them of this might focus their minds a bit.

Wont make a difference. Far to late then, as the road will be resurfaced in May anyway abd its still going to be a cheapo job.

Unless people actually refuse to vote them in and the candidate(s) feel threatened nothings going to be done.

I wonder would escalating this be any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

they put the same "loose chippings" crap on the dunmore main road a while back too

the stuff they had down before was amazing, it was like driving on carpets but apparently(i have no idea if this is true) it was too smooth so with the cold weather they had to rough it up a bit.

i did see a car in the ditch every now and then on the stretch tho ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    I wonder would escalating this be any good?

Has anybody hassled Cullen or Deasy about it? (though the last time I tried giving out the the former about the council - he might even has still been minister of the environment at the time, I got a response telling me what a wonderful job Waterford CoCo were doing :confused:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote: »
    Has anybody hassled Cullen or Deasy about it? (though the last time I tried giving out the the former about the council - he might even has still been minister of the environment at the time, I got a response telling me what a wonderful job Waterford CoCo were doing :confused:)

Sorry, only getting back to you now. No, approached anyone about it. Wouldnt approach Cullen (he doesnt have an office here anymore anyway) and Deasy... not sure he would do much. I was going to say it to Paudie Coffee but forgot about it when I last met him. When I see him again ill mention it to him.

As for the road itself... well I begun using it once the hard shoulder was opened but now I got a text sayng its been closed again. :rolleyes: Back to the old road for me and many others I guess.

I dont think ill give a vote for any of the existing council in the local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

I've hassled John Gormley about it, and he's hassled Noel Dempsey (Dempsey's Department writes the cheques for roads).

Should hear something back soon.

• Advertisement

I've hassled John Gormley about it, and he's hassled Noel Dempsey (Dempsey's Department writes the cheques for roads).

Should hear something back soon.

Good stuff :) Thanks.

So the issue of road conditions was brought up in the dail today by fine gael. Minister Dempsy responded stating councils were given allocation for roads which they should be using especially at this time of the year and he would be very concerned if the money was not being used.

Said now until mid summer is the time to do roads.

So the issue of road conditions was brought up in the dail today by fine gael. Minister Dempsy responded stating councils were given allocation for roads which they should be using especially at this time of the year and he would be very concerned if the money was not being used.

Said now until mid summer is the time to do roads.
    Waterford County Council got €17 million for Roads this year.

Fine Gael Councillors control the Council, and they decide how that money is to be spent.

To do the R675 between Waterford and Tramore to the same standard as the R675 between Ballinroad and Dungarvan (not to mention the road from Ballinroad to Clonea Strand) would cost 2% of that budget.

The Fine Gael Councillors voted to spend €1.2 million doing the road to Clonea last year.

They voted to spend 50k doing the Waterford Tramore Road.

The Tramore Road has more traffic on the August Bank Holiday Weekend than the Clonea Road has from September to May.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Christ them figures & stats put things in perspective....

Sully, it doesn't matter how much funding the Council have now - they are maintaining that they can't fix the road until (night time) temperatures increase, which might not be till next month.

Sully, it doesn't matter how much funding the Council have now - they are maintaining that they can't fix the road until (night time) temperatures increase, which might not be till next month.

Im aware of that but this is being disputed by the minister. Hence my point :)

• Advertisement

Temperature is an issue for tar and chip - the €50k solution.

It is not (so much of) an issue with rolled asphalt, or thin layer asphalt - the €350k solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This morning I went out the Tramore road just to see what the fuss is about! Are the bollards on the hard shoulders to stop drivers getting some relief? ;)

I spung round past the back strand and into town on teh airport road, fiorst time since that was finished - what a transformation! Pity the Tramore road which must have 20 times the traffic volume is so poorly surfaced for its whole length by comparison.

Should have seen it a few days ago. Lots of cones missing, and sandbags burst! They open the hardshoulder randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think they open the hard shoulder so much as push the cones aside to sweep up the loose chippings, then put the cones back again.
    Though having driven around the country a bit in the last few days, Waterford roads are brilliant compared with some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Apparently the road was the be resurfaced in May....
    It is May and no sign of action - I Emailed the council and was told it will take place in May / June..... note the forward slash!!! Typical...
    I'm so sick of the 'thrid world road' we have had since last August.

depaor wrote: »
    Apparently the road was the be resurfaced in May....
    It is May and no sign of action - I Emailed the council and was told it will take place in May / June..... note the forward slash!!! Typical...
    I'm so sick of the 'thrid world road' we have had since last August.

The problem is they cant resurface the road until the temprature is correct, and right now its not, so I am led to believe. I dont think any councillor really has a notion whats going on, what went wrong etc. Everybody has a different answer, and they all change it frequently.

It will be resurfaced sometime over the summer period anyway.

You have got to be joking!!! or at least the CO CO has got to be - OK maybe they were waiting to come out of the depths of Winter but it hardly cold out..

The road surface in the new motorway must be going to be awful considering that they have been surfacing it at a low temp!! It is Hilarous.....

I wonder how the heck they ever manage to surface roads in cold countries?

The problem is they cant resurface the road until the temprature is correct, and right now its not, so I am led to believe. I dont think any councillor really has a notion whats going on, what went wrong etc. Everybody has a different answer, and they all change it frequently.
    They used a cheap and nasty surface dressing technique when they should have used a resurfacing technique.

They then used an incorrect grade of chipping, which compounded the problem.

The cheap and nasty solution cost €50k. The proper Macadam solution, which a road with those volumes of traffic deserves, would cost €250k to €300k.

The Council Officials in Dungarvan believe that the cost of Macadam would be completely disproportionate and is not justified under the circumstances.

The Tramore Councillors apparently agree! They voted in the 2008 budget that caused the problem, and they have voted in the 2009 budget which is going to see the same solution being applied.

It will be resurfaced sometime over the summer period anyway.
    Sometime in the next four weeks apparently.

They used a cheap and nasty surface dressing technique when they should have used a resurfacing technique.

They then used an incorrect grade of chipping, which compounded the problem.

The cheap and nasty solution cost €50k. The proper Macadam solution, which a road with those volumes of traffic deserves, would cost €250k to €300k.

Aye, heard all that. Some said the machine was at fault, the road was opened to early to traffic, it wasnt done professionally etc.
    The Council Officials in Dungarvan believe that the cost of Macadam would be completely disproportionate and is not justified under the circumstances.

The Tramore Councillors apparently agree! They voted in the 2008 budget that caused the problem, and they have voted in the 2009 budget which is going to see the same solution being applied.

Was it stated in the budget how much was going towards the new road? I assume so, but have been told that it was simply out of their hands and the council are refusing.
    Sometime in the next four weeks apparently.

Did Gormley ever get back to you about the state of the road? Maybe he can pull some strings and we can get the proper surface in? Hardly likely :p

it competely baffles me as to why upon knowing the third world state of the current Tramore Road the councillors would vote in for the same application in 2009.....Do none of them do their homework???

The traffic volume on that road alone justifies the correct surfacing. I know I am preaching the the converted here but the same surface as the one applied in August 2008 going down for the second time around is just crazy...

When I emailed the council to know when the road was due to be resurfaced - I also asked was it to be completed to European Standards or at least to the standards of our conterparts in west Waterford ...(perhaps that wasnt specific enough)... anyhow I was told it would be!

• Advertisement

Was it stated in the budget how much was going towards the new road? I assume so, but have been told that it was simply out of their hands and the council are refusing.
    The Councillors vote in the budget. They could have insisted.

Listen to the WLR news. €1m spent on a wall in Lismore.

€1.5 million spent on a new Town Park in Dungarvan.

€1m spent on a new Macadam surface in Kilmacthomas.

€1.2m spent on a new Macadam surface in Clonea

The Tramore Councillors need to answer why they did not insist on getting a proper road surface for the busiest road in the County. That is the job we elected them to do.

Did Gormley ever get back to you about the state of the road? Maybe he can pull some strings and we can get the proper surface in? Hardly likely :p
    Noel Dempsey is saying he gives the Council the money and they decide how to spend it.

The Council are saying Macadam is disproportionate and not justified under the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on The Last Word right now!

www.todayfm.com

It'll be on the shows "podcast" later this evening.

The News & Star said it would be at the end of this month but the Munster said its the end of next month. Which is it? (The resurfacing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I also remember seeing in the Munster a couple of weeks ago that rumours that the repair costs would be 250k are 'greatly exaggereated' or words to that effect.
    Presumeably so its going to be the cheap fix chippings mk 2, by the sounds of it.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    I also remember seeing in the Munster a couple of weeks ago that rumours that the repair costs would be 250k are 'greatly exaggereated' or words to that effect.
    Presumeably so its going to be the cheap fix chippings mk 2, by the sounds of it.

Apparently the figures floating around are wrong for the repair jobs but there were no figures at hand. It is a chipping job being done, not a proper solution.

I'm guessing about €75k because they are going to lay two layers of chips. One layer of the large chip like the ones they used last year, followed by a second run with a smaller chip (like they should have used last year).

Still no confirmation if they are going to do the hard shoulder.

Latest information is that the work will begin in three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Well the 15th has come and still no road being fixed even tho Joe Conway assured everyone at the door that it would start

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I was assured it would be done by start of June by our Labour Councillor , and think it mentioned June bank holiday weekend in the Munster, imagine we put up with that crap for almost a year now a total death trap, yup we get the governments we deserve.

I thought it was the end of June.. Some papers reported end of May others reported end of June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

They were supposed to be waiting till average night time temperatures were warm enough to carry out the re-surfacing. well if it's not warm enough by now then when is it? i was strolling around in my t-shirt about 2.30am the other night, not a bit cold out.

Advertisement