Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Tramore Road closed

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

joe250 wrote: »
    The New chipping are not sticking.
    We waited one year for this?
    The road was alot better BEFORE they started a year ago.

I think that's why the second coating went down. It seemed to be stripping again after the first batch, the second batch has the problem where there are far too many loose chippings.

I do wonder is the type of surface not correct for such a road that takes such a large volume of traffic and at speeds of up to 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Sully wrote: »
    I think that's why the second coating went down. It seemed to be stripping again after the first batch, the second batch has the problem where there are far too many loose chippings.
    The plan was always for two coats.

The first coat (as I understand it) was to fill the gaps in the previous layer. Then the second coat was to provide a smooth layer on top.

There will always be some stripping of a tar and chip surface.

I do wonder is the type of surface not correct for such a road that takes such a large volume of traffic and at speeds of up to 80kph.
    It is not correct. You won't find that grade of chippings on any similiar road near Dungarvan.

There should also be a 30km/h Road Works Speed Limit in place while the chips are bedding in. Most traffic is still doing 80k and this is part of the reason the chips are stripping.

If it keeps raining today the spray from the wheels will strip off lots of chippings and once this reaches a critical mass you are looking at a repeat of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

When i passed going to work this morning second layer was stripped off in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who does the work?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The plan was always for two coats.

The first coat (as I understand it) was to fill the gaps in the previous layer. Then the second coat was to provide a smooth layer on top.

There will always be some stripping of a tar and chip surface.

Oh right, okay. I was only told this morning from someone locally that was the reason they re-did it. The above sounds more logical.
    It is not correct. You won't find that grade of chippings on any similiar road near Dungarvan.

There should also be a 30km/h Road Works Speed Limit in place while the chips are bedding in. Most traffic is still doing 80k and this is part of the reason the chips are stripping.

If it keeps raining today the spray from the wheels will strip off lots of chippings and once this reaches a critical mass you are looking at a repeat of last year.

There is a Road Work Speed limit, its not being enforced. I assumed the cones are put far out to slow down traffic.

• Advertisement

Oh right, okay. I was only told this morning from someone locally that was the reason they re-did it. The above sounds more logical.
    I posted back in May that they were going to use two layers. :rolleyes:

There is a Road Work Speed limit, its not being enforced. I assumed the cones are put far out to slow down traffic.
    There is NOT a Road Works Speed Limit!

A Road Works Speed Limit has to be advertised in advance in the Papers, and it can only be 30km/h or 50km/h. It will have round signs with red rings on them, and the 80km/h signs will be covered over.

The Council have dropped a few 25km/h signs along the road, but the speed limit is 80km/h.

There is no such thing as a 25km/h limit in Ireland.

I posted back in May that they were going to use two layers. :rolleyes:

There is NOT a Road Works Speed Limit!

A Road Works Speed Limit has to be advertised in advance in the Papers, and it can only be 30km/h or 50km/h. It will have round signs with red rings on them, and the 80km/h signs will be covered over.

The Council have dropped a few 25km/h signs along the road, but the speed limit is 80km/h.

There is no such thing as a 25km/h limit in Ireland.

Jesus Stan no need to get so worked about it! :p

Actually forgot you mention the speed limit thing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

I drove out the Tramore road yesterday evening and it looks like the same problem is already re-appearing with bald patches in areas. The cones were very close together (to slow traffic and reduce flying chippings I presume) but I felt too close for comfort. I am not a road engineer but I think it might have worked better if the whole top layer was stripped off to remove the first botch up. Laying another surface ontop of an already proven failed surface does not make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Anyone know who do email or write to to complain of the state of that road since the loose chippings were put down, it's a disgrace!!!

Its a minefield for punctures.
    They should not be allowed leave that amount of loose chippings on the road. Lazy shabby work is all I can say.

I used to love going for cycle down to tramore from the city on that road. Now I can't. It was a handy cycle for me on a big open wide road.

I had to turn back there recently after venturing slightly into the chippings.

I'm really pissed to be honest with the state it has been left in.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I drove out the road for a look see. As the CC are using the weight and volume of traffic to compress the top surface the cones are clearly a hazzard cos a good 50% of the dressing is still loose are they going to move the cones and get commuters to squash the other half? Before sweeping the rest*?

*yeah right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

mike65 wrote: »
    Who does the work?
    The Council did the work themselves last time, so they are possibly doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Correct me if im wrong but as far as im aware there has being a crash already on the road since the new surface went down. From what I know the cars wheel got caught in a rut that has already developed in the road and pitched the car into the ditch

The Council did the work themselves last time, so they are possibly doing it again.

So I am told. Unless Stan knows different. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmay!

The Tramore Triathlon is going to on in a few weeks and it will be using this road surely something will have to be done with the road before this.

It is a disgrace of a road to drive on as well with the chippings flying everywhere. I nearly ended up in the ditch there one day trying to avoid the chippings breaking my windscreen from the bus on the otherside of the road flying along and knocking up a load of stones, the back end of my card slide out as i hit the loose chippings. CRAZY!

jimmay! wrote: »
    The Tramore Triathlon is going to on in a few weeks and it will be using this road surely something will have to be done with the road before this.

Also the Sean Kelly Cycling Tour event. I would assume they will clean the road, and hopefully remove the cones.
    It is a disgrace of a road to drive on as well with the chippings flying everywhere. I nearly ended up in the ditch there one day trying to avoid the chippings breaking my windscreen from the bus on the otherside of the road flying along and knocking up a load of stones, the back end of my card slide out as i hit the loose chippings. CRAZY!

I would advise reducing your speed to what they have - 35km/hr - or so as you do risk loosing control at the 80km/hr speed. Even with the bus going slow, and other trucks, the chippings are flying around the place. Its madness, the side of my car has been hit loads of times but luckily any stone that hit the window never did any damage. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmay!

I would advise reducing your speed to what they have - 35km/hr - or so as you do risk loosing control at the 80km/hr speed. Even with the bus going slow, and other trucks, the chippings are flying around the place. Its madness, the side of my car has been hit loads of times but luckily any stone that hit the window never did any damage. Yet.

I don't think i was even going that fast 60km/h at the most because i was in a line of traffic. Trying to drive at 35km/h would be quite hard as it is very very slow especially on a big straight road like that and driving at this speed will cause frustation among drivers stuck behind you. Driving too slow is just as bad as driving too fast but not in this case as driving slow is understandable

jimmay! wrote: »
    I don't think i was even going that fast 60km/h at the most because i was in a line of traffic. Trying to drive at 35km/h would be quite hard as it is very very slow especially on a big straight road like that and driving at this speed will cause frustation among drivers stuck behind you. Driving too slow is just as bad as driving too fast but not in this case as driving slow is understandable

True.. would be a fair bit slow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Also the Sean Kelly Cycling Tour event. I would assume they will clean the road, and hopefully remove the cones.

Loosing control at the 80km/h?? ..u joking?..on the bicycle maybe :)

Loosing control at the 80km/h?? ..u joking?..on the bicycle maybe :)

You can loose control of your car at pretty much any speed. The faster you go, the more dangerous it is. I dont have the stats of hand, but I have been to plenty of presentations by the Garda Traffic Squad which has covered all this in detail. :)

Coming into Tramore this evening, just beyond Robin Hill, I noticed skid marks and broken glass, and then farther on what looked like a breach in the ditch.

Anybody see anything?

• Advertisement

Coming into Tramore this evening, just beyond Robin Hill, I noticed skid marks and broken glass, and then farther on what looked like a breach in the ditch.

Anybody see anything?

Might wanna look back to my post earlier Stan http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61434807&postcount=133 will explain why

shanemul wrote: »
    Might wanna look back to my post earlier Stan http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61434807&postcount=133 will explain why

There seems to be glass on the road today though.

not connected glass is from someone clipping one of those cones that are far too close to the road

shanemul wrote: »
    not connected glass is from someone clipping one of those cones that are far too close to the road
    Thanks for that.

ps: They are only too close if you are driving too fast ;)

Thanks for that.

ps: They are only too close if you are driving too fast ;)

Have you tried driving out there at 1am?! Pitch black and its fecking dodgy enough, especially if a car is coming against you as its hard to see where the cones might be tonight - some scary moments dodging cones out in the middle of the road!

Have you tried driving out there at 1am?! Pitch black and its fecking dodgy enough, especially if a car is coming against you as its hard to see where the cones might be tonight - some scary moments dodging cones out in the middle of the road!
    ..get phillips X-treme power bulbs for the best night vision ever!!..numero uno ;)

Putting down the road markings now. Will that mean there won't be those annoying traffic cones down? Hopefully.

looks like

More surfacing starting today it seems. Machinery all out on the road!

• Advertisement
Advertisement