Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiger 09

• 28-08-2008 7:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody picked it up yet? Is it any good? I have 07, gave 08 a miss and am now thinking about picking up 09 tomorrow. So opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Melion wrote: »
    Anybody picked it up yet? Is it any good? I have 07, gave 08 a miss and am now thinking about picking up 09 tomorrow. So opinions please.

Did you try the demo? i'll be getting the game anyway, graphics have improved a lot and there is the Gamernet thing (first appearded in the last one but you missed that) which is improved again this year, check out review here

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1554/Tiger-Woods-PGA-Tour-09/p1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Heading out at lunch to pick it up. From what I've read (reviews & forum posts) it is much improved and possibly the best TW yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just picked it up. Gonna go and give it a go now. Anyone up for a few games tomorrow afternoon? Gamertag below

Just picked it up. Gonna go and give it a go now. Anyone up for a few games tomorrow afternoon? Gamertag below

I'll play a few when i'm up to speed (i'll be sh*t for the first while!) My gamertag is also below. I'll add you to my friend list! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Correction, yes i did.
    Didnt get around to doing it today, i hope you dont think im messing you around, just been busy with work.

MOD EDIT: PM guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

what is the putting like on it compared to 07 which personally I taught sucks also can you use Harrington ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

bennyc wrote: »
    what is the putting like on it compared to 07 which personally I taught sucks also can you use Harrington ?

The putting is fantastic, if you haven't played 08 then you missed out a gem of a game IMO.
    As far as I know Harrington is not in 09, I've only been playing through the Tiger challenge so I haven't looked at anything else really.

I have to say I am really enjoying this game now. I have about 30% complete already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Whats the swing like? Same as '08?

I could never get the hang of '08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Where is Podgey in these games? Now officially regarded as one of the world's best yet he's not in any golf game.

Meh, i always create him as my guy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Darren Clarke is in the game though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

creggy wrote: »
    Darren Clarke is in the game though..

Darren Clarke & Rory McIlroy are in the game, but Harrington is not? :confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Got it last night and curiously I like it. I am not much of a golf fan (except Wii golf!) but this is slick and easy to get into. I like all the facets to it and the challenges. Cant compare it to the others but I like this.

DeV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Where is Podgey in these games? Now officially regarded as one of the world's best yet he's not in any golf game.

Meh, i always create him as my guy anyway.

I think its trouble with the royalties he wants from it or something like that.

Reganovski wrote: »
    Whats the swing like? Same as '08?

I could never get the hang of '08.

Yeah its the same as 08, pretty easy when you get the hang of it. Although when you start getting more difficult clubs and you go into the club tuner you really have to be accurate with the swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Of all the games I've bought for the 360, Tiger 07 was the most irritating. There was far too many gimmicks, all I wanted was to jump into a simple game of golf like I could years ago in the Links/PGA games.

The thing that bugged me the most was the presentation. I really wish I could have turned off the players reaction shots, they bugged me even more than the commentators shouting "Come on Tiger" every few seconds.

Purchased Everybody golf but it's far too shallow an experience, so what i'm guess i'm asking is have the changed it much since 07?

It has indeed, you can skip most of the cr@p like players reactions etc. There are some annoying aspects to the new game like the dull commentry but I likes the whole game as an overall package, its fantastic and alot better than 08.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    It has indeed, you can skip most of the cr@p like players reactions etc. There are some annoying aspects to the new game like the dull commentry but I likes the whole game as an overall package, its fantastic and alot better than 08.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

The simultaneous play feature is really good for quicker games (online)

Gamernet is realy good, I got a hole in one already (not as hard as it should be imo)

Headspin wrote: »
    Gamernet is realy good, I got a hole in one already (not as hard as it should be imo)

Yeah my first par 3 I got a hole in 1! The difficulty has dropped but hopefully it will be patched a little to make it better.

How do you skip the players reactions ? That really bugs me. The reactions along with pre-shot stuff. Can it really be skipped ? As in not that I have to press the A button but skip it totally ?

Also, Everybodys Golf is class. And has quite a lot of depth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

brianon wrote: »

It is. Meant to say Golf:Tee it up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

In 08, I was able to purchase a maxed out player.

is that available for the new 09? Can't find it in marketplace. but heard some guys talking about it in an online match

mickyt wrote: »

is that available for the new 09? Can't find it in marketplace. but heard some guys talking about it in an online match

I really don't see the point in buying a maxed out player, kind of defeats the purpose a bit doesn't it?

I hate that crap in games. Was playing online and my nice 280m drive was no match for near 500m !!!!

mickyt wrote: »

There are 3 suits in the Pro shop that are available at 5,000,000 each that max out your stats.
    They are: Rabbit, Elvis, Spaceman.

So its your own player with a suit on really, you can't track any of your averages or anything when you are wearing your suit tho.

brianon wrote: »
    How do you skip the players reactions ? That really bugs me. The reactions along with pre-shot stuff. Can it really be skipped ? As in not that I have to press the A button but skip it totally ?

No you have to press A for skipping but in all fairness its madness to think that pressing a button is a hardship!! :D

Yeah but it slows the game down. Its just...annoying. On PSP version you can have it skip it automatically.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Totally addicted now. Its taken over like a virus here and we havent played anything else since we got it. It does seem easy but I've only gotten my training wheels off (have beaten the first "pro" and won the first two PGA tours... beating Tiger both times, is that supposed to happen?!).

I've just upgraded clubs but I have no idea what a sweetspot is (I can guess in RL, I just dont know what difference it makes in the game!).

You can buy things with in-game money or with Billy Bucks (MS Points)... an option that always raises a giggle around these parts!

I'm already pretty high in the stats dept (that stats thing is weird too... its broken for reasons too complex to get into here).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

Headspin wrote: »
    I really don't see the point in buying a maxed out player, kind of defeats the purpose a bit doesn't it?

It might for you, but not for me, I just like to play the golf course and knowing that if I swing the club right, I will get a decent shot.

Plus I really prefer to play online, so would like to choose my own player rather then just tiger every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Correction, yes i did.
    Didnt get around to doing it today, i hope you dont think im messing you around, just been busy with work.

MOD EDIT: PM guys.

Sorry Mods but Melion didn't seem to be getting my PMs.
    In hindsight he was just ignoring them
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Dammit - I held off buying this last weekend because I was savin for my Hols. Now you bastards are going on about how good it is. Not cool people. NOT COOL.

Advertisement