Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed Please Help

Options
  • 28-08-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm after starting sixth year yesterday, and got my summer tests back.
    My music class(which we for some reason fought to get) is going so far downhill so fast its at the stage where we're all going to fail. Our teacher is a fairly useless woman who gives us wrong definitions and the like. There are now eight of us in the class, two have moved in since April, one yesterday, one in April.
    Four of the class do music classes in WIT as it is, as they see she is a useless teacher and this is the only way they will pass the Leaving Cert.
    Not one member of our class got above 48% in their summer test. The four girls in WIT got really high grades in their summer tests there, which further puts forward my point that the teacher is useless.

I'm thinking of changing into a Geography class, as its the only option that i can do during the same time, and its apparently the easiest one to do in a year.
    However I've heard different reports of that, some said its a really difficult subject to learn and that the amount I'd have to catch up would be far too much.

So, what do I do? Stick with the subject I'm destined to fail, or try change into the Geography class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

option 1: change to geography :)

option 2: stay in music but don't devote any time to it if you think its a waste. instead take up a subject on your own outside school. i've heard economics and business are good 1 year external subjects. :cool:

option 3: stay in music .....listen.....and fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

If you found Junior Cert Geography easy, you should be able to get through the LC course without too much bother in a year. Although if you decide to move I'd say do it sooner rather than later, as most people will be doing their field work soon enough, which is 20% of your final grade (and, from what I've heard, an easy 20%).

Or maybe drop down to pass Music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thing is, I already do one subject on my own. History clashed with Economics. I was also doing Classics for fifth eyar on my own outside school but discovered that I couldnt devote time to it and to the rest of my subjects equally.
    I did JC Higher Level Geography and got a B.

1 extra subject is definitely enough to do outside school. any idea what course if any you want to do next year? work out your likely points without music as a worst case scenario and focus on the other subjects

otherwise switch to geography

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I need 505(minimum) for Applied Psychology in Cork.
    I'm not using Maths as I'm doing Ordinary level. Am currently using LCVP(portfolio is almost complete the teacher is assuring me I can get the 70 points easily).
    Getting an A2 average in English.
    History is being aided and tested by a teacher ( i'm not sitting in class but I am doing his homework and sitting all of his tests, and getting copies of any special notes he gives out). Getting a high C to low B so far.
    Same grades for most of my subjects.
    I got, including LCVP and not including Music and Maths, 450 in my summer tests.

• Advertisement

505 min is high points......switch to geography so i say.....you could still easily get a B....plus music is just going to stress you out more and you wont be able to take in as much information in other subjects....be a happy student in geography :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

well for music, how are you getting on with your practical? because remember 50% of your marks will go to this, so if you could work very hard at your practical and then once you can grasp melody writing and harmonies and get to know your set works in detail and learn your irish essays you should be ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cellardoor36

if you really want to stay in music, then get grinds to help you. otherwise I'd definitely change to music. until you get your results you have to accept that every subject is going to count towards what you'll do next year, so don't take a chance on even one of them

if you really want to stay in music, then get grinds to help you. otherwise I'd definitely change to music.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

I'd stick with music tbh!

The practical really helps, especially if you do the 50% practical... theres a much lower chance of you failing then!

We had a useless teacher for 6th year but our class did really well thanks to the practical!

My friends did geography and they found it extremely difficult.

Then again, different people have different opinions.

good luck in whatever you choose

• Advertisement
Advertisement