Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV disparity between connection speed and actual download speed

Options
  • 28-08-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm on a UTV 3Mb connection. According to my router, the connection speed is approximately 7Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up. But when I try and download any file, from google.com, for example, I never get actual download speeds of over 1Mb/s, and often much less than that. Just browsing the web is extremely sluggish. Is this normal? Is there a possibility that there's something wrong with the connection?

The connection feels like it has slowed down quite considerably over the last couple of months. Should I be concerned? Is this just what I'm going to get with this package, or is this out of the ordinary? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

I have seen a very serious drop in the speed I can download using my UTV Connection. I have been a long term customer of theirs and never had serious problems in the past. Was delighted to see that I was upgraded from the 3Mb connection to a 7.6Mb connection but unfortunately the quality of the connection has been terrible. I am a World of Warcraft player and in the evening my latency would be constantly in red, whereas it would normally be green or go yellow the odd time. Looking back through old forums - Eircom seem to be back to playing their old games again - giving poor quality to the leased lines which UTV have in an effort to get customers to switch back to them again! UTV Customer Support said we are on an intermediary server while the upgrades take place and things should settle down in a few weeks..........but from what I can see this problem has been ongoing around the country for the last 3 or 4 years since broadband became available! Should we threaten to leave UTV as they are not providing the service we are paying for? Would this make them get up and begin to complain to Eircom and get the problems sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

there seems to be some problem with ADSL at the moment, BT and UTV customers seem to be having it, my net( 4Mb ) runs like crap( 78kB/sec download ) when i get home in the evening and after midnight or around 1am it does back to normal and get 300-400kB/sec downloads

Advertisement