Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Arena

• 28-08-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the website address of the UL Arena? Tried the link on the UL website but it doesn't work :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

www.universityarena.com is the address, but it's not working at the mo. Don't know how long its been down for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Where are the nerds when you need them!?!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

What's the difference between the gym and the arena? I'm looking to use a swimming pool and a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Ekels wrote: »
    What's the difference between the gym and the arena? I'm looking to use a swimming pool and a gym.

The University Arena is the name of the gym and swimming pool facility

toushea wrote: »
    The University Arena is the name of the gym and swimming pool facility

But I received two separate forms in my pack: one for the arena and one for the gym. One costing 180euro, the other 175. I'm really confused.

• Advertisement

But I received two separate forms in my pack: one for the arena and one for the gym. One costing 180euro, the other 175. I'm really confused.
    Most likely some form of error the best thing is to actually call into the building itself when you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

maybe its cheaper membership to just join the gym.. if you want the full arena package (gym and pool) it costs more... i know that true for one off days in

maybe its cheaper membership to just join the gym.. if you want the full arena package (gym and pool) it costs more... i know that true for one off days in

It was 180euro for the gym and 175euro for the arena! Beats me! I'll just get a cheque for 180euro and ask them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Guys, what's the story with Mary I students and the Arena? Do they get the same rate as UL students or is it a higher non UL student rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

i know there was a vote on it in mary i not too far back. IIRC we used to get the same rate but not anymore, because in our wisdom :rolleyes: we dedided that we didn't want it any more. oprn to correction on the result but i do distinctly remember ranting about the issue at the time so i think we pay the 'other student' rate now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Do you know what the reasoning in not keeping this benefit up was? I cannot understand it was logical anyway? Were Mary I students subsidising the Arena or something?

we were paying maybe 25 euro a year to get the UL rates, and a free bus across the city and back most evenings a week. it was dropped when our gym was opened last yeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

fatgav wrote: »
    our gym was opened last year
    I never went near the place last year....
    Exercise gym is the size of a match box and have they ever heard of ventilation?!
    Have you ever ran on the court?..Kinda uneven in places.

never ran the court, no. the gym is small but it's ok. would much prefer the UL one myself - considering taking out membership on the pool - but while it is tiny, and ventilation-less, it is at least free to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

It was 180euro for the gym and 175euro for the arena! Beats me! I'll just get a cheque for 180euro and ask them about it.

on the form that has €175 on it the date on it is 2007:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Where are the nerds when you need them!?!:pac:

Away drinking for the weekend, according to netcraft the domain seems to have lapsed. Since the 1st of September it seems to have reverted to a company called eNom who provide web hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Might as well throw this down here:

UL planning €28m revamp of sporting facilities

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qq qm=news-qqqid=35558-qqqx=1.asp

The University of Limerick has pitched a €28 million plan to the government to scale up its sporting facilities ahead of the London Olympics in 2012.

The university is hoping to style itself as a training base for athletes before the games. It wants to boost the facilities at its University Arena by installing a new training pool, a diving pool, two new weight-training gyms, astro-turf pitches and a water-resistant hockey pitch.

The complete package would cost €28 million. The university would be able to contribute €10 million, and is asking for €18 million in funding from the government

‘‘We are close to having the perfect venue. We are the only place in Ireland that could realistically take the Olympic teams,” said Dave Mahedy, director of sport and recreation at UL.

World-class athletes including Colin Jackson, Kelly Holmes and Sonia O’Sullivan are among those who have already used the arena’s facilities.

It also hosted a number of athletes’ training sessions before the Olympics in Athens in 2004, including the Dutch and British national swimming teams. In total, 11 medals were won at the Athens Games by people who had trained at the university.

‘‘We know that, with all the doom and gloom, times are hard. But we hope that the government will see the benefits of the investment. There is no point in us coming along in 2010 and saying, ‘We’d better do something for London’. We have to act now,” said Mahedy.

In 2006, the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism set up a task force to consider how Ireland could benefit from the London Games. A spokesman for sports minister Martin Cullen said last Friday that Cullen and department officials were still considering the report, two years on.

‘‘The minister intends to move immediately with the key stakeholders involved in the support of Irish elite athletes, to discuss how best to build on the results at the Beijing Olympics and the supports required to ensure the optimum performance of Irish athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games,” he said.

Conor O’Shea, the former Irish rugby international and current national director of the English Institute of Sport (EIS), said UL would be a perfect base for the Olympic teams.

‘‘There is going to be a huge ripple effect for Ireland. There is no reason why teams won’t be basing themselves in Ireland -i t is close, the facilities are there, and they are out of the public eye to a certain extent. The facilities they have there are second to none.”

It would be great to have a new diving pool ,I miss the old one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronom

there seems to be a problem getting into universityarena.com all right.

this works though

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/UniversityArena/the%20arena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Looks like they're doing a redesign of the UL website.....expect things to be a little broken as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads can anyone tell me is there any special parking for Gym Users, I am new to the gym out there, and I go in the morning and I find it a bit of jip paying to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No special parking I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

sceptre wrote: »
    No special parking I'm afraid.
    It makes no sense , I got out there this morning and the car parks were full and had to wait 40 mins to get a park spot which is a tad ridculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Chong wrote: »
    It makes no sense , I got out there this morning and the car parks were full and had to wait 40 mins to get a park spot which is a tad ridculous.

It's the same for everyone unfortunately. Have you tried going round and parking in Kilmurry or in one of the estates opposite the gates (although I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon)?

Advertisement