Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording from Radio

• 28-08-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I want to record from the radio on the hifi I have in my bedroom between the hours of 9 and 2 while Im in school, however theres a few problems.
    1. I cant record to tape because they wouldnt have enough space and I'm not there to change them.
    2 I dont know if its possible to program to record in advance.
    Ive a basic alba hifi with three cd changer and 2 tape decks.
    Im pretty sure this isnt possible with what I have a I dont think my hifi would record to cd but Im also looking for suggestions on how I would go about doing this maybe another way!
    Thanks in advance (hopefully)!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Mmcd wrote: »
    I want to record from the radio on the hifi I have in my bedroom between the hours of 9 and 2 while Im in school, however theres a few problems.
    1. I cant record to tape because they wouldnt have enough space and I'm not there to change them.
    2 I dont know if its possible to program to record in advance.
    Ive a basic alba hifi with three cd changer and 2 tape decks.
    Im pretty sure this isnt possible with what I have a I dont think my hifi would record to cd but Im also looking for suggestions on how I would go about doing this maybe another way!
    Thanks in advance (hopefully)!

You are correct in some respects. It will be very difficult to achieve what you want with the equipment you have.
    The cheapest and easiest solution I can give you (based on the fact you are in school and may not have money to go out and buy new equipment!!)
    is probably to take the audio OUT from your hi fi and connect it to a video recorder set to long play on a 3 hour tape. If you don't have a vcr then this won't work obviously. This would give you 6 hours of recording. So even if you left at eight it would still capture the time you want.
    From what you've said I would guess your alba system does not have a dedicated audio out on the back of it (check that). So, you will need to come from (i know, i know its not ideal) the headphone socket with lead that has a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end and two phono connectors on the other. The two phono connectors connect into a scart adaptor and then into the back of the vcr.

So, you need this

lrb5421ent.jpg

and this

phonoscartadaptor.gif

Hope that makes some sense?! Let me know if you need any more info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Have you checked to see if the station you want to record is online or on sky if you have it !

If its online then it can be recorded on the PC by various means ,

http://radio.about.com/od/pcsoftware/Software_To_Record_Streaming_Audio_PC.htm

Some programs from the main stations are available for download as podcasts as well.

If its on sky and you have sky plus , it can be recorded that way .... Im not sure about NTL , I think I remember something similar the last time I seen an NTL setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I understand what you're saying homer and it would be possible as I have a tv very near to my radio but the only problem is that is a tv/dvd combi and therefore aint a recorder :(
    I do also have sky+ but I dont think today fm is on sky and anyway Im afraid that the tv with that is downstairs and that doesnt have a dvd recorder either. And its two whole shows so cant be podcast either.
    I really just dont know what to do tbh
    Theres no way to record to cd is there?

Today FM is all available for download ,you can get your favourite show anytime , you can listen live on the pc as well which means you can record it with any of the options in the link above , listen on your pc or ipod if you have one , details are here .....

http://www.todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=180904

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

mathias wrote: »
    Today FM is all available for download ,you can get your favourite show anytime , you can listen live on the pc as well which means you can record it with any of the options in the link above , listen on your pc or ipod if you have one , details are here .....

http://www.todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=180904
    Thanks but this is just normal 5 or 10minute podcasts - I want the whole shows!

• Advertisement

As said , the station is available via live stream on the net , there are many many programs that you can use to record this , they can be set up like a vcr and will record whatever you want from the live stream.

This one is good , and is very very cheap. Only $16 or so and you have what you want. There is a free trial to see if its any use to you.

http://pdmarq.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

If you have broadband all you need to do is download a wonderful free program called audacity.

Open the streaming for the station you want to record in the morning and switch Audacity on to record. When you come home (or when the program you need is over) stop the recording. The bits you dont want can be edited out (simply) and you can save the file as an mp3 or in whatever format you want. Or even break it onto smaller files of you want. :):)

Advertisement