Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If you could make 3 changes to the rules of the road

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

fjon wrote: »
    I still haven't seen any convincing argument for raising the motorway limit above 120.

I've yet to see a convincing argument for not doing so:P

Being honest a 1l Corsa can do 140 km/h within normal limits (160 if pushed) , and isn't going to be a nice easy-going drive at 120 either (it's a horrible car to do a long journey- relative within the country).

If I'm on straight stretches of the M1 (which I seldom am) with a clear overtaking lane I'd be hovering in and around 160, and only stopping there because I know the car wouldn't take much more with 5 people and luggage in it. If someone has an V12 BMW and wants to do 200, then so be it....it does however require that all motorways be upgraded to 3 lanes.

In the next NDP I'd like to see all inter-urban routes planned put on hold until they can all be made to that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've yet to see a convincing argument for not doing so:P

There is one though:

Drivers in this country have no motorway training and in the most part very little experience. A 120 km/h the gulf between competent drivers and dawdlers/ditherers is big already ...at 160 or more it would be lethal.

Do you know how long it takes to slow down from 160 to 80 (because some ditherer has finally decided to overtake that truck and pulled out without looking) ...too long ...that's how long.

The thought of a legal limit of 160 on Irish motorways scares me to death actually ...it's bad enough as it is at 120, no need to speed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

(1) Enforce the rule ... Re. yellow boxes. No entry unless your exit is clear.
    Just look at the junction in Terenure at Rathdown Motors and see the
    Wallys total disregard of this rule.
    (2) Parking at junctions, have a look at the parking around the Mosque on S.C.R.
    Exiting the road opposite.. you have to drive out onto the main road
    to see traffic in both directions. Cars are parked right up to the corner at this
    junction.

(3) Re. Learner drivers .. the rule was always that you were accompianed by a full
    licensed driver ..Period .. it just was not enforced by the Gardai.

The rules of the road should be enforced totally ..no prisoners.
    As for the Walkinstown Roundabout.. there should be a Gardai presence at all times
    rules are broken here every minute of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lionela wrote: »

(3) Re. Learner drivers .. the rule was always that you were accompianed by a full
    licensed driver ..Period .. it just was not enforced by the Gardai.

Much of the outrage of the new laws regarding learner drivers was to do with those on second provisional licenses, who were allowed to drive unaccompanied, up until the 30th of june this year. And just to note, the accompanying driver must also have held his or her license for at least 2 years before legally being able accompany any learner Driver. They must also hold a licnese relative to the category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

peasant wrote: »
    The thought of a legal limit of 160 on Irish motorways scares me to death actually ...it's bad enough as it is at 120, no need to speed it up.

But no-one pays a blind bit of heed to the 120 limit, so it has no effect on road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Zube wrote: »
    But no-one pays a blind bit of heed to the 120 limit, so it has no effect on road safety.

sorry for going off topic ...but this post makes me wonder if all those so-called "fish in a barrel" speedchecks don't have a justification after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

(1) All vehicles must be fitted with tracking devices, if you break a speed limit in a particular zone, the fine is on the way in the post.

(2) Pubs are not allowed to have car parking spaces or car parks outside the premises, there should be no need for these now.

(3) Ban BMW's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

sorry for going off topic ...but this post makes me wonder if all those so-called "fish in a barrel" speedchecks don't have a justification after all

It's only stays "fish-in-a-barrel" if you don't scare the fish. The current levels of enforcement are so low that if you're sensible, being caught is an Act of God, like being struck by lightning. It has no deterrent effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »
    (1) All vehicles must be fitted with tracking devices, if you break a speed limit in a particular zone, the fine is on the way in the post.

(2) Pubs are not allowed to have car parking spaces or car parks outside the premises, there should be no need for these now.

(3) Ban BMW's.

I can understand 3:D:D, but explain 1 and 2?

What about people going out for Sunday Lunch or any bar food? Surely they should be catered for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Have to completely disagree, the majority don't hit 140+kph on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I very often drive out to my friends (10 miles away) to visit them in their local pup. The pub has a carpark as there is nowhere else to park. When I do drive I do NOT drink any alcohol. Where am I supposed to park my car that evening. As stated above what about the likes of people wanting bar food.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Lets face it the yanks do know a thing or two about driving so I'd go for:-
    Turn left on red.
    Cars with 2 or more people in them can use bus lanes
    4 way stop signs instead of those stupid mini-roundabouts
    Norn Iron-style R plates for first year or so after people pass test
    Mandatory re-testing for everyone every 10 years. More frequently for those who get a certain number of points.
    Parallel parking and motorway driving in the driving test
    Actual enforcement of the rules of the road (except for me obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Lets face it the yanks do know a thing or two about driving so I'd go for:-
    Turn left on red.
    4 way stop signs instead of those stupid mini-roundabouts
    Norn Iron-style R plates for first year or so after people pass test
    Mandatory re-testing for everyone every 10 years. More frequently for those who get a certain number of points.
    Parallel parking and motorway driving in the driving test
    Actual enforcement of the rules of the road (except for me obviously)

You gotta love them yanks - more than 3 ideas, but every one is going to be very effective and is already road tested. The biggest excuse for not implementing these new ideas is because they don't know how it will go, stealing it from other countries removes this excuse!

I especially love this idea (it's environmental as well as rush-hour helping). I've thought about this loads, but I forgot to put it in my suggestions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

superjosh9 wrote: »
    also - I'd like to ban the LHD cars also!
    LHD cars don't cause incidents - its the people driving them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kuro_man wrote: »
    No parking facing the traffic (and holding up both lanes to get out)
    It's already illegal during lighting up hours (not sure about during daylight).
    kuro_man wrote:
    MINIMUM speeds on motorway entry slip-roads - how can people think merging into 120kph traffic at 60kph is somehow safe, I'll never know?
    Some vehicles (which may legally use motorways) are restricted to 64kph and 80kph. They have no option but to try to merge at those speeds.
    SteveC wrote: »
    IA theory test wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience though? One test could cover all of your categories
    It would take 3 seperate theory tests under the current system.
    blackbox wrote: »
    A test every 5 years might be overkill, but at the very least anyone who is banned from driving for any reason should have to go back to square 1 and do a theory test and apply for a learner permit.

As things stand, someone banned for 3 years for dangerous driving causing death simply gets his/her licence back without any test when the time is up (and sometimes sooner).
    I'm open to correction but is every banned driver not obliged to be retested? (or am I confusing it with those who lose their licence in a section 49 conviction?).
    Even when the limit is upped to 120, most traffic will be breaking that limit. What's the point of having a limit which is held in complete contempt like that?
    People rob banks. Should we legalise robbing banks because people are going to do it anyway?

Just to add to the OP's question - I can't really see any changes that should be made to the ROTR but proper enforcement of the existing rules would be very effective.

Lets not forget that there are some cars only available in LHD, i believe a lot of "motor homes" (to sound american about it) are only available in LHD, as well as many classic cars out there. Not to forget foreign trucks and such also. As Kbannon said, it's not the car that causes accidents, it's the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

There is one though:

Drivers in this country have no motorway training and in the most part very little experience. A 120 km/h the gulf between competent drivers and dawdlers/ditherers is big already ...at 160 or more it would be lethal.
    +1
    I have to agree here, the road may up to 150+ km/hr, a lot (the majority?) of Irish drivers aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

h3000 wrote: »
    I very often drive out to my friends (10 miles away) to visit them in their local pup. The pub has a carpark as there is nowhere else to park. When I do drive I do NOT drink any alcohol. Where am I supposed to park my car that evening. As stated above what about the likes of people wanting bar food.

Well that's grand. The problem is that there are still car parks full of cars on a Sunday and I don't accept that all these drivers are not drinking. Fair play to you for doing the right thing but unfortunately others are not as responsible, so get rid of the car parks and that'll be one step closer to them not driving to the pub and driving home drunk... If the number of people driving like yourself to a pub and not drinking equalled or exceeded the number of people who drove to a pub and got sozzled, I'd accept your argument and say leave the car parks there, but a quick look around any pub will show you that the people driving their cars to pubs are also drinking alcohol when they are in the pub...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd accept your argument and say leave the car parks there, but a quick look around any pub will show you that the people driving their cars to pubs are also drinking alcohol when they are in the pub...
    I was in a pub last night with some of my work mates after a go-karting session. I drove there, I had 2 heineken shandys over the space of two and a half hours and I drove home. All but two in the group did the same and they were relying on lifts (from the drunkards).

There is nothing illegal about having some alcohol and driving as long as you stay within the limit. Yes, there are people who overdo it but these are a dying breed in this day and age and are slowly being weeded out thanks to the new levels of garda enforcement and social attitude.

get rid of the car parks and that'll be one step closer to them not driving to the pub and driving home drunk.....
    While it may be 'one step closer', do you really think that closing car parks beside pubs is going to make a difference?

It's people's mindset that you have to change - not their parking arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Absolute nonsense and completely pie-in-the-sky from a technological point of view as well. The only way you could do it in the forseeable future is have someone with a mobile phone accompany every driver. Sure why not go the whole hog and follow people 24/7 while you're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

blastman wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense and completely pie-in-the-sky from a technological point of view as well. The only way you could do it in the forseeable future is have someone with a mobile phone accompany every driver. Sure why not go the whole hog and follow people 24/7 while you're at it?

Completely possible, it would just need GPS maps updated speed limits on them and a mobile to dial it in every time the limit is broken. I think there are already places offering this for company cars.

Advertisement