Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good PS2 shooter-Alternative to BLACK?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Would anyone care to recommend a good first person shooter on PS2?

I've just finished playing Black and it is now easily my favourite game ever.
    I'm getting withdrawal symptoms already!
    Alas, I fear I won't find a shooter as good as Black for the PS2.

I have some shooters there which I haven't given much time to:
    Medal Of Honour, Rainbow Lockdown etc

Rainbow seems ok, but nowhere near as good as Black. Maybe I should just give it more time. Unless someone has a better recommendation?

Thanks for any tips..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I didn't think much of Black. Rainbow Six Lockdown was terrible I must admit from my own experience of playing it. If you like FPS or Action games, try out Conflict Desert Storm II, an excellent game and it has a brilliant 2 player mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Just had a look on YouTube. Looks decent. Cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

playing cold winter at the moment. pretty good http://http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/coldwinter?q=cold%20winter.
    would sell it on if yer interested

killzone wasn't bad either.

Cheers for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Where are you based if I was to take CW off your hands? PM me if you had a reasonable price in mind. I bought Black in Omni for 8 euro. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Timesplitters 2 - the best shooter ever on the PS2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect just about tops it, but it's much of a muchness. Either way, they're better than Halo. ;)

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thought TS:FP was a letdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Time Splitters 2 was by far the best shooter for the PS2 i thought :)

But tbh...FPS is made for PC...i HATE playin them on console especially after using mouse and keyboard, joypads are no substitute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Despite the crap it was given on release, Killzone is actually a great shooter. Amazing graphics for the ps2 and a surprisingly deep story. Should be a fiver now.

• Advertisement

Cheers again for all the replies.
    Im such a gamer noob. Only picked up the PS2 a couple of months ago. My first console since my megadrive in the 90s.

So anyway...

I went up to Game Stop in Omni today for a few games.

Was served by this really sound chick. She did a search for a few games I asked for. Didn't have Killzone unfortunatly. I asked for Time

Anyway I picked up:

Time Splitters FP
    F*****G DISK aint working. Ive tried cleaning it etc. Ill just bring it back during the week.Very disappointing. Looked at it on YouTube and it seems decent.

Brothers In Arms RTH30
    Disk crashes after level one (though it seems a bit meh)
    Chumpski had recommended it to me in another thread on boards.

Red Faction 2
    Seems ok. Feels a bit dated with shoddy graphics and terrible sound design. I dont think I can reverse the (IMO) counter intuitive controls. Plays ok though.

Also a couple of non shooters:
    GTA - Vice City. - Seems decent. Addictive. I usually avoid games that could potentially ruin my life.
    Burnout Revenge - Good fun. Stunning graphics from Criterion.

___
    But tbh...FPS is made for PC...i HATE playin them on console especially after using mouse and keyboard, joypads are no substitute
    Well I really enjoyed Black, but I get your point. I played Unreal Tournament a couple of years ago on my mac and it was tremendous fun.
    I might give Windows (XP/Vista??) a 20 gig partition on my iMac and have a look at playing a FPS on PC.

Are there any highly recommend FPS games for PC?

I'd love to play one that was easy to get into, and had potential for playing online at some stage. Maybe I should just buy a recent version of Unreal Tournament for my mac.

Anyway, back to Grand Theft Auto for me, until I find some other way of ruining my life :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't bother with any FPS games on the PS2 all of the ones I played are pants.

Brothers in Arms is definitely worth a look. The tutorial level of BiA is rubbish and gives a bad first impression but after that it's really good. The sequel earned in blood is a massive improvement and an under appreciated classic which is well worth picking up, have the xbox versions myself.

As for PC recommendations where to start? To be perfectly honest if you have access to a decent PC then don't bother with console FPS games. They are usually available on the PC and play far better with superior graphics.

For PC games just off the top of my head get yourself Half Life 1 and 2 and Call of Duty 1 and 4. You should also try the hybrid FPS games like the fantastic Bioshock. There's a wealth of great FPS games on the PC and my list is far from comprehensive. If you thought Black was good (pants to be honest in my opinion) you really need to play a decent FPS on the system they were made for.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll give that Brothers In Arms disk a wipe and see if the seconds level wants to load!

At some stage I'll definitely slap Windows on a little partition on the mac and get stuck into some mousey FPS action.

The graphics on my iMac are as follows:
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:
    Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 128 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    I'm hoping that card is half way decent.
    I've only a gig of ram now but will be upping to 2 or 4 soon.
    Processor is 2.4 C2D.

Thanks for all those recommendations. I'll have a little gander on YouTube when I get a chance.

I've always wanted to play a FPS online, but I reckon the ping on my current wireless broadband setup would make it suck.

Another thing I've always wanted to do was design a level for a game.
    (not a pipe-dream, I have experience in graphic design and pro audio)
    I've seen that game Counter Strike. Looks decent.

Anyway cheers!

Sweetie kindle hooked me up with Cold Winter and Killzone, so Im good for a while!

Cheers again man!

Advertisement