Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored in Mullingar

• 28-08-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Is it just me or is the only thing to do in mullingar is go drinking?? i train on a tuesday and thursday and i was so bored last wednesday that i went drinking....there was nobody else around it was a boring boring night. i want something to do that doesnt involve drinking for once....anyone else got the same problem or got any solutions?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

I know how you feel, definitely a boring town.
    Quiz night in Danny Byrne's is pretty fun, even though it's a pub you don't have to drink, but it's on Tuesdays so that's ruled out for you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

i used to go to the quiz after training cause its on at like 9.30, but every week the same team kept winning and then i just got sick of it....the town definitly needs something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

Are you mad there is heaps to do around here, especially if you like the outdoors. During the week things are going to be quiet but there are lots of fun activities in the town which will help you make friends, get fit and have a laugh. Why not take advantage of the numerous lakes in the area and take up wind surfing, fishing or if you have a couple of grand spare buy yourself a jetski. Or if you have a few hundred quid get a kayak or canoe and go out on the canal or lakes for an explore - heaps of alcoves around Owel and Derravaragh. Or if you are feeling adventurous go to Ree. Maybe bring a friend and you can canoe over from Ladestown to Bloomfield for a spot of lunch and then paddle back. If waters not your thing then try a spot of golf/P&Putt or go to the driving range and practise beating the life out of a golf ball. You dont have to be good, its fun just taking part. Or maybe try horseback riding for a few hours. The equestrian centres v good or Peters down at Ladestown do lessons. Other outdoor things which are a good way to spend an afternoon are joining a sports club or going walking, cycling etc... If you would rather indoor evening entertainment head up to the cinema and catch a movie or go out for a meal (loadsa places). The arts centre has regular shows, exhibitions and classes which you could join or the Stables has regular music gigs if thats your thing. There is the dogtrack if you fancy placing a few bets on Thursday and Saturday night (really good fun!) - you dont have to drink to have fun in town you just need to organize yourself as there are heaps of things on so plan ahead with your mates/partner and get involved. Worst case scenario there are hourly buses to Dublin - head up to the city centre for a few hours shopping/show/exhibition/museum etc... and catch the late night bus back in time for work the next day. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

chrussell wrote: »
    the town definitly needs something!

Single attractive women

wetminger wrote: »
    Are you mad there is heaps to do around here, especially if you like the outdoors. During the week things are going to be quiet but there are lots of fun activities in the town which will help you make friends, get fit and have a laugh. Why not take advantage of the numerous lakes in the area and take up wind surfing, fishing or if you have a couple of grand spare buy yourself a jetski. Or if you have a few hundred quid get a kayak or canoe and go out on the canal or lakes for an explore - heaps of alcoves around Owel and Derravaragh. Or if you are feeling adventurous go to Ree. Maybe bring a friend and you can canoe over from Ladestown to Bloomfield for a spot of lunch and then paddle back. If waters not your thing then try a spot of golf/P&Putt or go to the driving range and practise beating the life out of a golf ball. You dont have to be good, its fun just taking part. Or maybe try horseback riding for a few hours. The equestrian centres v good or Peters down at Ladestown do lessons. Other outdoor things which are a good way to spend an afternoon are joining a sports club or going walking, cycling etc... If you would rather indoor evening entertainment head up to the cinema and catch a movie or go out for a meal (loadsa places). The arts centre has regular shows, exhibitions and classes which you could join or the Stables has regular music gigs if thats your thing. There is the dogtrack if you fancy placing a few bets on Thursday and Saturday night (really good fun!) - you dont have to drink to have fun in town you just need to organize yourself as there are heaps of things on so plan ahead with your mates/partner and get involved. Worst case scenario there are hourly buses to Dublin - head up to the city centre for a few hours shopping/show/exhibition/museum etc... and catch the late night bus back in time for work the next day. Good luck ;)

Do we live in the same mullingar???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭phoenix-MT

lmao hahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahaaha i was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

coillcam wrote: »
    Single attractive women

There's a few of us around!

Have to agree, Mullingar is boring! I've tried a few times to get involved in clubs etc but they're a bit clicky! The arts centre is dead! I'm considering joining the tennis club!

Ah to be fair there are a few goodlooking single women in mullingar (but they're overshadowed by the dogs). Tennis club now theres a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

wetminger,

If I hadn't lived in Mullingar, I think I'd want to move there.
    Do you fancy having a go at Clara or Longford Town.

PS: Lots of good looking women living around Mullingar, just bloody difficult finding them.

Occidental wrote: »
    Lots of good looking women living around Mullingar, just bloody difficult finding them.

A bit like a morbid belief in ghosts, imo :pac:

• Advertisement

Okay I can happily retract above comments. There was an abundance of hot burds last night in Danny's and the fence.

*Crawls back under rock*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

I lived in London for 8 years and moved to Mullingar about 18 months ago which may be the reason that I enjoy the great outdoors around here so much. Groups of my friends come over to visit from London and we head out on the boats, go windsurfing etc... they always have an awesome time here. The only complaints usually being about the weather. I suspect you guys may be born and bred Midlanders in which case you may take what you actually have available to you for granted (no offence meant). Step back and take a look at what is here and there is tonnes to do if you have imagination. I often wonder why Westmeath CC seems to be so against the use of powerboats in the area as this place has the potential to be the outdoor sports capital of the Midlands. Designate one lake for their use and the fishermen can use all of ath other lakes. Athlone seems much more proactive in this regard.

I did leave off one crucial passtime from my previous post, chasing skirt. In which case I agree that Dannys is a top spot for talent spotting.

Advertisement