Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the ford focus - i'm impressed

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

thought i would post my views on my recent purchase of a ford focus.

it isn't the new face lifted model, a 2007 version.

after a week of ownership i must say i am mightly impressed.

a little background first though, in the past i have owned a range of cars, from alfa's, subaru's, beemers and jaguars (non of which were purchased from new i must add) but at a time when i need to think about catering for the family whilst being a little bit sensible the focus arrived on the radar and off i trotted to a number of dealers and garages from cork to dublin.

after a number of test drives a check on the "extra's" being offered and a comparison of the finance i plumbed for one in dublin.

its one week later and after 2,000 miles of driving - cork to belfast 3 times and a derry to donegal and back down the west coast i am happy to say that this is my finest purchase yet.

i'll start on the interior as this is really important to me, being of huge proportions i need plenty of head and legroom which is more than adequate in dargenarms finest. the ride quality, although somewhat jittery on poor surfaces with an occasional tendency to tramline (due in most to the 18"s and low profiles) is very comfortable.

the seats are fantastic, in fact the most comfortable i have sat in and coupled with the driving experience i am delighted to say that even after the past weeks excessive mileage i never felt knackered after any journey.

noise intrusion is minimal, but then again after a 11yr old fiat coupe and 10 yr old jaguar this was likely to be my view.

the rear space is more than acceptable having accommodated 2 adults with ease and at weekends both a baby seat and child seat. plenty of boot space for buggies and shopping as well.

on the road the car is very good. i personally think that it handles very well cornering very tidily with nicely weighted steering and reasonable feedback through both the pedals and steering wheel. was happy to find that i knew exactly what the car was doing, even on the more somewhat vigorous drives, even if i didn't test it limits.

although i am yet to experience the dealer network or running costs, which may of course sully the experience of ownership i thought an initial review was in order.

i'll continue to post some further reviews in time but initial thoughts - 9/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1 , by far the best car in its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Which model/engine is it? And +1 to the focus, although i have the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yup, I'll agree, I have an 04 1.8 TDCI Car-van, and it's spot on... I've been driving Mercs for nearly 5 years, and I'm in no rush to go back.
    The nearly 60mpg is a very good reason of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It may be best in class but from some of the reports you read, you would think it was the best car money can buy. Its a mid size ford. The styling in nothing special, The interior is poor. It handles well for a car in that class but its very ordinary overall. Now I bet everyone will attack me!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

its an ST3
    mickdw wrote: »
    It may be best in class but from some of the reports you read, you would think it was the best car money can buy. Its a mid size ford. The styling in nothing special, The interior is poor. It handles well for a car in that class but its very ordinary overall. Now I bet everyone will attack me!

not from me anyway. my post was obviously my own view as you have your own.

far from being the best car money can buy it best suited my requirements and budget. so i suppose for me i was/is the best car money can buy for me at this time:D

i think alot of the time when comparing each individual models from respective stables a different result is likely due to the differences in comparables, whether its performance, comfact or value for money across the range, from basic to luxuary models

each to their own really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

+ 1

In my first month of Ford Focus (2.0TDCi) ownership after years of 5 series BMW's. Couldn't be more impressed with the car. It obviously lacks the build quality of the BMW, but is not that far off and the driving experience and performance put a smile on my face, every trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

groupb wrote: »
    +1 , by far the best car in its class.
    what car do you drive groupb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

matt cork wrote: »
    its an ST3

I think the boggo Focus is better than the equivalent Golf, but I'd have a Mk V GTI ahead of a Focus ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Another fan here. Upgrading from a 05 1.4 to a 08 1.8d shortly.
    Can't wait
    From my experience parts are pretty competitive too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep the Focus Is a goid car all right.
    I'd take my ST over a golf GTI anyday :)
    More power, better handling, sounds better & nicer interior - And that's what my cousin who drives a GTI said to me after he took a spin in my ST...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

Zube wrote: »
    I think the boggo Focus is better than the equivalent Golf, but I'd have a Mk V GTI ahead of a Focus ST.

i do like the GTi, alot infact but when comparing prices there was a large difference. the ST is definately more nose heavy, as you would expect with the 2.5 unit up front, but cabin space in significantly larger and drive comfort was much better - from my stand point anyway.

i was also very disappointed with level of equipment with similarly priced models. obviously the vw's carry a premium with the superior build quaility but i wasn't prepared to pay a significant amount more for less powerful, smaller, less equipped car. as good as the gti is it wasn't worth €4k over what i chose

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I recently bought my second focus. Went from a 99 to a 04. Petrol 1.4 for insurance reasons. The new one is excellent. I spent months looking for a car in that price range and it was the best choice by far. I'm hoping to pick up a 2.0TDCi model in the future.

VH wrote: »
    what car do you drive groupb?

An mx5. But if I needed a family car it would be a focus. And before you ask I've driven them and most of their compeditors on numerous occassions. My wife has a qashqai but if it was up to me it would have a ford badge.

matt cork wrote: »
    i do like the GTi, alot infact but when comparing prices there was a large difference. the ST is definately more nose heavy, as you would expect with the 2.5 unit up front, but cabin space in significantly larger and drive comfort was much better - from my stand point anyway.

i was also very disappointed with level of equipment with similarly priced models. obviously the vw's carry a premium with the superior build quaility but i wasn't prepared to pay a significant amount more for less powerful, smaller, less equipped car. as good as the gti is it wasn't worth €4k over what i chose

Superior build quality? You mean superior percieved quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You haven't gone far wrong with an ST for sure! I know one VW to the core head who also reckons the ST is better than the Mk5 GTi when he drove one.
    Haven't been in the ST, but I can never get comfortable in the normal Focus. You sit on them rather than in them, and I hate that. Hampers the driving experience. Steering is bang on though for it's class.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Biro wrote: »
    You haven't gone far wrong with an ST for sure! I know one VW to the core head who also reckons the ST is better than the Mk5 GTi when he drove one.
    Haven't been in the ST, but I can never get comfortable in the normal Focus. You sit on them rather than in them, and I hate that. Hampers the driving experience. Steering is bang on though for it's class.

ST is a smashing car. Great power and torque, musical 5 cyl. engine note too. Brilliant Recaro seats, and well equipped. Relatively good value, with slightly heavy running costs (fuel, insurance, and tax).

Horses for courses though. GTI MkV is a great car too.

Advertisement