Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Newb question: gears

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the difference between high and low gears, and why they are important?
    For example, why is using a high gear desirable for travelling over black ice?

Dumb questions I know, but I was unable to find the answers over google.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

singloud wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the difference between high and low gears, and why they are important?
    For example, why is using a high gear desirable for travelling over black ice?

Dumb questions I know, but I was unable to find the answers over google.
    same as being on a push bike! low gears for starting and inclines, high gears when the engine/feet doesnt have to work as hard to move the car/bike!
    to be honest with you, the best way to answer your question is to get some lessons and to actually drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

same as being on a push bike! low gears for starting and inclines, high gears when the engine/feet doesnt have to work as hard to move the car/bike!
    to be honest with you, the best way to answer your question is to get some lessons and to actually drive.

I'm just practicing the provisional theory test.

It mentions not using low gear for black ice. I was just unsure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Low gears, ie First and second, have much more torque/pulling power than the higher gears. If on ice/slippery surfaces it's best to keep the torque under wraps, or else you'll get wheel spin and potentially lose control.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

singloud wrote: »
    I'm just practicing the provisional theory test.

It mentions not using low gear for black ice. I was just unsure why.

with regards to black ice or any ice for that matter, driving in a higher gear is better because at all times on ice, your aim is to try and maintain traction (so your wheels dont spin on the ice). in a lower gear, the engine will find it easier to turn the wheel at a higher rev and this can lead to the wheel spinning too fast and loosing traction! sorry, but its kinda hard to explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

but its kinda hard to explain!
    We know what we are talking about but it is difficult to explain!

On ice, it takes very little effort to transmit turning power to the wheels. If they are receiving too much power they will simply spin around and the operator of that power will have little control over them.

Now, on a dry road, wheels will not spin unless they have a serious amount of power applied to them. If a lot of power is applied to wheels and that power is not 'absorbed' by the surface, the wheels will spin. If one selects a higher gear, the likelihood of 'spinning' is reduced.

In icy conditions, the driver should select a high gear. If he were to select a low gear the wheels would simply spin under any pressure. By selecting a high gear, the chances of spinning are reduced and traction is increased.

It's very difficult to explain this without actually experiencing it first hand!

• Advertisement
Advertisement