Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just my gripe!

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

I am a 34 year old mature student, married with 3 small kids and just going into 3rd year of my degree. It has been a constant strugle both personally and financally. I can handle the personal side of things as they are my unique problems and necessities. What I cannot handle is the unfairness in the way the finances are divided among students.
    I qualifiy for the maintenence grant which is roughly €3700 for the year, it works out at about €70 per week.
    This is the only financial assistance I am entitled to.
    I applied for a childcare grant but was told it was only for single mothers.
    I applied for a student hardship grant but was told others needed it more than me.
    I applied for a Millenium grant but was told I was not selected to recieve this grant, even though my son was born 7 weeks prematuerly around this time, bringing with it all the extra costs this entails. Once again, seing as I am a married male and not a single mother I recieved nothing.
    In my class there is a 19 year old guy who lives at home with his parents, and works almost full time after college. He recieves almost €8000 grant each year plus anything else he applies for. Since we started college he has been on 2 sking holidays and probably another one booked for next year, he drives a 4 year old car and at the end of last semester he was planning on buying a lexus.
    I cant afford to put petrol into my 9 year old car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I really do feel for you. While I have never been in such a situation, I can certainly get a sense of frustration from your post.

I suppose the only thing I could say is keep looking to that light at the end of the tunnel, it will all be worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

he drives a 4 year old car and at the end of last semester he was planning on buying a lexus.
    I cant afford to put petrol into my 9 year old car.
    Sorry, did I say a Lexus. He actually bought an 06 BMW.

Advertisement