Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs you DID NOT LIKE on First Hearing But Grew to like or love

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Ok, this was inspired by the thread "songs that blew you away on first hearing". This thread is about songs that did anything but. In fact, you could not stand them when you first heard them, but over time you grew to appreciate them. Some of these could be guilty pleasures.

Why would this happen? Perhaps, it was an inaccessible piece of music that required a few listens to get into or perhaps your music taste mellowed over time or perhaps you saw a song by a particular act in a new light after hearing something else by them or you heard them perform it live and it changed your mind. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

Here are a few examples in my case:
    Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
    Cry for Help - Rick Astley
    Tonight Tonight Tonight - Genesis
    Kiss Me - Stephen Tin-Tin Duffy
    Wild Boys - Duran Duran
    Turn of The Century - Yes

God, this is more difficult than I thought!

Can you think of any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

Hated it at first - I was 12 or 13 and found it too heavy and bluesy. Tis one of my favourite songs ever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

All Led Zeppelin, in particular Whole Lotta Love. One of my favourite bands and songs now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

With me, it's due to taste changing with age, and less of a focus purely on melody, and recognising other merits. Another such song is Just Like a Woman by Bob Dylan - I remember Dave Fanning always playing it when I was in my early teens and I couldn't bear it, found it so boring.

Now I adore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No Doubt - Hey Baby

First time I heard it I remember thinking "Oh God, that is terrible."
    Few weeks later I bought the single! :D Great party tune, always puts me in a good mood.

I also didn't like Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings the first few times I heard it. Then it kept growing on me and now, of course, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Killers - all these things that I've done

I used to really hate the Killers but this is a good well rounded pop/rock song
    I also didn't like Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings the first few times I heard it. Then it kept growing on me and now, of course, I love it.

I have that one song alone to thank for getting me into rock n roll music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

"Yes I am blind" from Morrissey's album Bona Drag. Specifically asked me friend to leave it off the copy he was making me.

He did, but said that it was the best song on the album.

He was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

This is a really sad one, but 'Sound of the Underground' by Girls Aloud.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Viva la vida - Coldplay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Kid Rocks - all summer long, thought it was a total rip-off when I first heard it (which it is) but there's just something really catchy about it.

and basically every coldplay song...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I didn't like Smashing Pumpkins at all when I first heard them, but grew to love them later on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Viva la vida - Coldplay

+1 although i usually end up hating all coldplay songs eventually so il enjoy it for another month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

American boy-Estelle Feat.kayne west. I hated it when it first came out but now love it and cant get the song out of my head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

tinkletoes wrote: »
    American boy-Estelle Feat.kayne west. I hated it when it first came out but now love it and cant get the song out of my head :)

i love it too but i see that song as so catchy its instantly likable , not a grower but i suppose doctors differ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

David Bowie - Golden Years. didn't give it a chance for a long time. love it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

Hated it when it first came out, think it's one of their best tracks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

so many bands/albums i hated on first listen and took me a while to come about to them - wolf parade, sunset rubdown, mr. bungle's 'disco volante', dream theatre, muse... probably a lot more that i can't remember too.

once i realised i didn't like things too unfamiliar to my tastes i started giving them much more listens before i made any decisions. so even stuff like liars which might have made a difficult first listen, i just kept playing them until i got used to it and i loved the album. i'm glad i gave all the above a chance because they've since become favourites of mine.

problem with this is my friend thinks this is not coming around to like a band, but more becoming "immune to their ****ness" (his words) :rolleyes: i disagree entirely but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

Anything by Paddy Casey especially Sweet Suburban Sky took a while to grow on me but I still hate Saints and Sinners!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Perfect Day by Lou Reid. The fact that Boyzone and M People sang parts of it really put me off what's actually a good song.

Advertisement