Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any solutions to random disconnects on eircom broadband?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just back in the country, got a home professional DSL line from eircom and while I'm happy that my old router still works, I find that the service hasn't improved much at all. Within the first hour online I got disconnected, DSL went off and I had to log onto the router and make it reconnect.

I see there's tons of people posting about this here and I'm just wondering if anyone's found a solution to it, other than the fella who emailed Phil Nolan and got them to practically set up a new exchange for him :P

If I'm browsing the web I couldn't care less, but if I'm in the middle of a game and I get disconnected then the whole thing's ruined, and instead of relaxing I end up being pissed off and paying for it. I might as well hop on a train with Iarnrod Eireann, its cheaper!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I'm syncing at 5120/512 and Line Attentuation is 43/29dB. SN margin is 12.50/15.0dB.

I do remember checking the line back about a year ago and being cleared for up to 10mb, so as far as I know the line should be super-duper.

The modem is set to always-on. There's only one phone socket in the house and that one's straight by the door, I'd imagine there's less than 10 inches of phone cable in the house!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

I've been on eircom broadband for 5 years and have always suffered disconnects. It used to be between 7-10 in the evening and now since the upgrade 9 pm to 9am. My SNR is 6.00 downstream at the best of times and -1.50 at worst.

A few days ago I picked up a Netgear Wireless-G DG834G router and I haven't disconnected once no matter how low my SNR is. Netopia routers are garbage.

I tried a Netgear router before, a while back when I was on the 1mb line I think, and when I had range problems. My patience ran out after one week with the router, it was crashing regularly, with any firmware I tried, and had to be reset manually. It went back to Dabs for a refund after Netgear support proved utterly useless.

Dunno, I could try another router but I'd rather not go down that route just yet, it's too much money down the drain.

I don't have any other phone sockets in the house, there's only one. I'm trying out new DSL filters now, we'll see how it works. The only thing I noticed is that SN dropped by about 5dB.

Anyone know what's a "good" line attentuation and signal noise ?

• Advertisement

Hm, I'm afraid the new DSL filters didn't help at all, the connection lasted maybe 20 minutes before it was dropped. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

netman wrote: »
    I tried a Netgear router before, a while back when I was on the 1mb line I think, and when I had range problems. My............

Anyone know what's a "good" line attentuation and signal noise ?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, might not be of any help but I had the same issue, disconnected every ten to twenty minutes, I tried different filters, routers and cables with no success, I then changed the actual socket on the wall and it has been perfect since, same as you I only have one phone point, I bought one from B&Q for around €20, there where cheaper but the wife thought this one was " prettier ", maybe you could try changing the wall plate/socket.

Thanks, I'll give that a try! The link posted above has some interesting stuff on it, and they also mention changing the socket.

Right now I've swapped the modems, using 2247 netopia now instead of the 3347 and the line was up all night no disconnects (left a torrent running and checking the logs now). The SN downstream drops below 10dB sometimes, I haven't seen it go below 6dB which they list as "dangerous".

Next time I'm in B&Q I'll pick up one of them sockets :)

Advertisement