Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The BBC Game

• 28-08-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried to play? It took me 10 mins just to see where I was! :o

I think you need a special kind of brain to succeed, but if you have nothing better to do...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Thanks for that. Looks pretty.

I am waaaay too drunk to do it much justice now ... I predict some happy hours tomorrow morning.

I love my job. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

What trout said.....

That made my brain hurt.

I gave it another go just now ... it's actually not bad.

Very faithful to the book ... and if you remember it well, you can progress through the game quickly enough.

If you have half an hour to kill ... it's well worth a look :)

Certainly a blast from the past ... I haven't played a text adventure for nigh on 15 years.
    Next thing you know ... I'll be looking for a version of Rogue or NetHack for the Mac :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tried it a couple of times, it takes a while to get the hang of it. There's a definite advantage to knowing the plot of the book. I'll definitely be giving it another go.

trout top tip : you can 'save' your game online ... save often, save well :)

It took me a little while to get into it ... now I'm in the Vogon ship, preparing for teh puh-puh-poetry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Am I the only person who can't make heads nor tails of that game? :o

I have a good knowledge of the books! I do! I just can't make heads nor tails of it! :(

It's because I'm a girl. :D

takola wrote: »

I have a good knowledge of the books! I do! I just can't make heads nor tails of it! :(

Did you grow up in the impoverished 80's where text adventures running on cheap & cheerful 8 bit micros where THE height of entertainment ?

If not, you'll prolly be at a disadvantage

here's some starters
    light
    stand up
    take gown
    wear gown
    look inside pockets
    take analgesic
    s
    take mail
    s

that should get you outside the house anyway :)

save often and restart from your save point ... it may grow on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

takola wrote: »

It's not just you. Ford gave me a towel and left me on Earth, bastard. Then I got killed by a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

trout wrote: »
    Did you grow up in the impoverished 80's where text adventures running on cheap & cheerful 8 bit micros where THE height of entertainment ?

If not, you'll prolly be at a disadvantage

here's some starters
    light
    stand up
    take gown
    wear gown
    look inside pockets
    take analgesic
    s
    take mail
    s

that should get you outside the house anyway :)

save often and restart from your save point ... it may grow on you.

It's addictive. I'm not familiar with this type of game at all.
    It's not just you. Ford gave me a towel and left me on Earth, bastard. Then I got killed by a brick.

I know! :mad: I said hi to Ford and got him to talk to prosser but then moved and got killed again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah, the spoiler helps me understand how this is played, my commands were too "sophisicated" linguistically speaking. KISS

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

trout wrote: »
    Oh God yes - remember 'bored of the rings'.... state of the art stuff it was too.:)

Yeah ... you can get the towel at the wrong time ...
    try and get it in the pub
    ... be faithful to the sequence of the events in the book

Anyone else still playing this ?

I've gotten pretty far into it ... it's quite enjoyable :)

If anyone is stuck and getting discouraged ... let me know.
    If I can help ... I will.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've started it a couple of times and got distracted or frustrated and stopped. Really must give it a go for a bit longer next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think my problem is I know the radio series (1 and 2) like the back of my hand, but the books I have not read since they came out.

Mike.

Don't forget to save ... often :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Just to be pedantic, it's not a BBC game, it's an Infocom game first released in 1984 given a facelift.

Advertisement