Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think would be a reasonable charge?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Have to negotiate a work from home rate with the company I'm working for at the moment. I'm leaving the company soon after a few months of much appreciated work experience at the rate expected from work experience.

They want me to stay on, but I will be doing a Masters for three days a week. plus I have no way of getting to and from work as I won't have needed transport.

They have suggested that I can continue to work from home. The work that will be done is:

. Complete overhaul and continuous upgrading of website.

. Design of advertising work as in designing new adverts and tweaking the ads already made (I have done a lot of them so far) several of which appeared in the Examiner, Echo etc.

. Flash animations for website and for presentation purposes.

Basically I'll be catering for all their required multimedia needs for screen and print as they come up which will be passed onto printers/ used for tradeshows and the rest.

My initial thoughts are: giving them 24 hours a week at 20euros per hour. I will be available and effectively working remotely at my computer for 2 days at 8hrs per working day i.e. immediately contactable and available to do the work on a Thurs + Fri = 16hrs. Then on the Fri I can account for the other 8 hours over the weekend by 4hrs sat + 4hrs sun preparing and finishing work ready for the monday.

Is this a reasonable offer or should I ask for less / more. I'm kind of looking for a flat working rate despite the variety of work required. Or is there a better option ye can think of for this?

There will be a lot of design work involved which I will be responsible for, also a lot of work will be done on the website, I don't want to underprice this work ethically but I don't want to seem greedy either. Any suggestions appreciated thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Are you going to be paid as an employee or as a freelancer? If it's a freelancer, then I think 30 euro is a little cheap given the added hassle of taxes etc....

Other than that, you're idea sounds good. I'd may only say you'll be available 2 of those days and not specify the other 8 hours as that will give you more flexibility, but overall sounds like a decent plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

And you can scratch all the travel expenses, and all that wasted time commuting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks for the feedback folks, good points made there. I am looking to be employed at an hourly rate i.e. 24hrs at 20euro an hour.

It is an ideal situation for me to work like this, as at the end of the day I need to be employed during the Masters as I have a lil girl to support as well.

I know I can offer this company good work at this price as an employee. I really hope this works out. I am a very good worker I give my all to an employer with the right attitude. I really like the people I'm working for in that respect. I hope this works out, thanks again for the feedback.

Advertisement