Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird and wonderful UCD?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Hello,

For some reason I've decided I'll go to UCD this year. I have a room just across the road (The Maples ftw) and my labourious timetable is a full eight hours a week.

So I want to make the most of my year in the Catholic University. In that place I went to for my undergrad I learned the ins and outs of the campus and knew the place like the back of my hand. Oh how many times I nearly got arrested. Srsly.

I intend on exploring the UCD campus at great lengths. I'm willing to risk getting in trouble in pursuit of my knowledge and photos.

So I beseech ye, fellow UCD'ers, to give me guidance in where I should explore. I believe there are tunnels, give me details! Do they rival the mystique of Trinity's? Are the any legitimate means of getting up the water tower? Are there any satanic burial sites in those woods? Has anyone ever searched the depths of the lake for an ancient kingdom? Any chance I could get up on any roof? What parts of the library are breakable into?

What do I need to know?

To give you an indication what I'm hoping to do, I'll list some things I did during my undergrad years. I led a nine-man expedition down the underground tunnels; made myself a crown and threw paper airplanes at passers-by from a third-floor window; obtained keys to a perimeter gate; became familiar with the keycode to the security door to the library; stole a key to a roof... and brought a girl up there one night; broke into a library at 3am, climbed through a window to an archive room and stole two books; hid the Geology Department's Memorial Cup; got into attics and graffiti'd my professor's mobile number on the wall with a "Want sex?" preface; stashed alcohol in the graveyard.

Also, would any of ye like to accompany us on these pursuits? I have a gang that are interested in this sort of thing, but none of them are UCD'ers and they are getting old and responsible. A local might be useful.

Any tips? Any advice? Perhaps most importantly... any dares? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Sigh... This is what will be tutoring our new batch of eager economists... :rolleyes:

There's nothing exciting at UCD. You will be spending the next 4 months reading Mas-Colell and that's IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I dare you to dig the letters UCD into Trinity Colleges Cricket pitch. That'll teach em.
    Or maybe you should study

I hang my head in shame at the second suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Antithetic wrote: »
    climbed through a window to an archive room and stole two books

That's not exactly something to boast about, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

OP,that sound like a dream land!!if only UCD is that cool...not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

There's lots of fun stuff to do! Go get drunk at the secret lake with DutchSoc, go for a midnight "trip" in the magic forest, get lost in the stacks in the library!

The Newman building is hard to get around, play hide and seek there. Don't forget the military-industrial complex that is the rifle club. Try breaking in Huge Brady's house!

• Advertisement

There's lots of fun stuff to do! Go get drunk at the secret lake with DutchSoc, go for a midnight "trip" in the magic forest, get lost in the stacks in the library!

The Newman building is hard to get around, play hide and seek there. Don't forget the military-industrial complex that is the rifle club. Try breaking in Huge Brady's house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm starting at ucd in two weeks, coming from Ballymun I.T. (DCU)... I'm more than game for some subversive shenanigans. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Karma_Police

sucha lej..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As for the "Catholic University"... I was a little concerned about attempted religious indoctrination before I started at UCD, but I needn't have worried. No-one's asked me about my religion, or my lack thereof, except for the Registration Survey question that you don't have to answer.

There has been a thread or two where some random Catholic complained about the lack of Morals at UCD, as if people are immoral unless they take their orders from the Vatican... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Spit off the water tower. Run naked down the concourse. Burst into theater L and hug the lecturer. Ucd is great. Cant wait to be back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Grimes wrote: »
    Spit off the water tower. Run naked down the concourse. Burst into theater L and hug the lecturer. Ucd is great. Cant wait to be back

Or, spit in the water tower.

UCD, a catholic university?

Nah....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

UCD, a catholic university?

Nah....

You haven't noticed that we don't have a SHAG week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Have a love-at-first-sight experience down rape lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

wow that's really not that cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Look into "the Egg" on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Zounds wrote: »
    You haven't noticed that we don't have a SHAG week?

Give me a call and Ill give you a SHAG week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Sigh... This is what will be tutoring our new batch of eager economists... :rolleyes:
    My penchant for mischief doesn't affect my ability to derive Solowrific results or teach.
    There's nothing exciting at UCD. You will be spending the next 4 months reading Mas-Colell and that's IT!
    I refuse to accept a Mon-Friday 9-5 and Sat 10-3 study schedule will be inadequate. Thereafter, see above :)
    That's not exactly something to boast about, tbh.
    They weren't old books. One was a JavaScript tutorial book, which I returned. The other was a book about Irish and there were about two hundred copies of it in storage. I gave it to a cleaning lady on my last day. I doubt it'll be missed.

I'm not that bad :)
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    OP,that sound like a dream land!!if only UCD is that cool...not a chance!
    I can only work with what I'm given.
    Where's the secret lake? Where's the magic forest?
    Rifle clubs are over-rated. Hide and seek is for children, unless you're drunk. I'd rather work on getting a personal invite from Hughie :)
    Grimes wrote: »
    Can you get up the water tower? I've been on the campus a couple of times and have only gazed at the tower from afar. It looks fairly well defended, though.

I'm still working full-time this week. Will there be tours again in Freshers' Week? Is this amenable to graduates as well? The grad orientation week looks like a complete pile of ghey. Also I have my first dare accepted. I'm not telling you what it is until it's completed, mind. It may include some Hytrol though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

o/ what is happening ?count me in? pink paint will be fun on a grey building.AGH I know your sort.This is a ploy :( You aren't crazy

Advertisement