Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Problems

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I recently moved house and I took my old eircom router with me. I soon realised the router's wireless distance had broken as all my wireless devices would only work if i stood near the router. I got a new router anyhow and although my laptop appears to be picking up the signal now the Wii and my Apple TV can't see the signal at all!! what is the problem here can anyone tell me. It's driving me crazy!

any help would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

have you changed the wireless encryption settings from wep to wpa etc?

if so you may have selected an encryption method not supported by the devices. if you can get a signal from the wii's location with the laptop i would doubt its a environmental issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cance wrote: »
    i would doubt its a environmental issue.

I'd be the opposite, I'd suspect another nearby Eircom router on the default channel 7 is interfering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 apple®

Thanks for coming back guys. You cannot believe what a relief it is to be hearing possible causes of the problem as i was driven demented wondering how my laptop was getting the signal but nothing else was. So should i change the channel in the router's gateway or change the password encryption?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

apple® wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back guys. You cannot believe what a relief it is to be hearing possible causes of the problem as i was driven demented wondering how my laptop was getting the signal but nothing else was. So should i change the channel in the router's gateway or change the password encryption?

Change the channel down to 1 or 12. That's the easiest change to do and will have minimal impact on everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 apple®

Cheers, I'll try that and if that doesn't work i can always change the password encryption.

Thanks again for the help. I'll be back if none work to see what other advice you might have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement