Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Name Registration

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

I am looking to set up a business & need the company name & web address to to the same. My company name is not available as a .com so I am going to register it as a .ie

Can I apply for a business name & then a .ie domain even though I may not register the business for some time?

The business would be as a sole trader to begin with...

Is it expensive to register a business & how do I go about it? I think I understand how to register the company name at this stage...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It's very easy to register a business name online trough the CROs e-filing website CORE ( www.core.ie ) . Once done they'll send you out a piece of paper for you sign and send back in and within the month you'll have your business name cert. E-registration costs about €15 IIRC.

then for registering a domain name go to something like www.register365.ie and register your .ie domain name (costs about €25)

The CROs main site is www.cro.ie and you will get any other info you need there.

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

When you say register the business, I presume you mean register a limited company. If so, the best thing to do is choose a reputable registration company to do the work for you. I haven't used one myself, but a few people on here have and I'm sure someone can recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have to meet a potential client next Thursday...
    I will need a business card with my contact information

I would prefer to have my correct contact details at that stage - email address etc...

I realsie it takes up to a month to register a co. name. But would it be possible to get my .ie registered by that stage so I can get some business cards done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

not unless you have your rbn cert, or, another related business name in which they may grant you a discretionary name .ie

Thanks for all the responses.I've been onto my hosting company & will be able to register the domain once I have the company name registered withing 22 days. However the domain won't be active till then.

At least its a start...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,
    A couple of comments.
    You are registering the .ie of the Domain name. Is the .com holder in a similiar business, that may effect you when people look you up.
    If you choose to register the .ie, I would reccomend you get the others as well . ( .eu, .co.uk , etc ) to ensure that someone else does not take them. It does not cost a lot to do this.

Good luck

Hi,
    A couple of comments.
    You are registering the .ie of the Domain name. Is the .com holder in a similiar business, that may effect you when people look you up.
    If you choose to register the .ie, I would reccomend you get the others as well . ( .eu, .co.uk , etc ) to ensure that someone else does not take them. It does not cost a lot to do this.

Good luck

The .com is registered but inactive. The name could refer to several business types & I cannot afford to register a range of names.

If I do achieve international success in the future I may invest in the .eu...
    Does anyone have an opinion on the value of registering a .eu?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,

It might be worth seeing who owns the .com . The cost of the having the .eu etc are about 25 -30 Euro per year. Better that you have them that someone else.

Regards

Aidan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Somebody has already mentioned Discretionary Name: your host should have offered this option to you when you said the registration is urgent. Even a business plan or headed notepaper or business card artwork should get you the registration, do you have these? Ask your host about Discretionary Name, or PM me if they stonewall you and I'll see what I can do.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cutesaw

don't register as a company until it takes off. Aside from the tax incentives, being a registered company can be very restricting. Youve gotta keep on your toes for the auditors also.

As for the .com name, if you are primarily aiming at an irish audience use the .ie. It costs about €25 as opposed to a €5.com but its much more useful.

Register your business name with core.ie as a sole trader and then sort out your .ie. Business names are taking between 3- 4 weeks at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CathalF

Cutesaw wrote: »
    don't register as a company until it takes off. Aside from the tax incentives, being a registered company can be very restricting. Youve gotta keep on your toes for the auditors also.

Register ...as a sole trader

Cutesaw,
    Hope ppl don't think I'm hijacking this thread but I am looking into setting up my own business and wonder if you could elaborate a bit more on the bits I highlighted above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cutesaw

You can go down two main avenues when setting up a business, register as a company or register as a business.

Setting up a company is not a simple walk in the park, which is why websites like this
    http://www.companysetup.ie/companyformation/formacompany.htm can charge up to €250 to do it for you. Once registered as a company, you recieve an annual visit from an auditor who will inspect your accounts and make sure everything is ship shape...

For a small business starting out this is an unnessecary hassle in my opinion. Most people start out as a registered business and then incorporate into a company to reap the corporation tax benefits.

My advice is log onto www.core.ie and spend €20 registering your business name and select sole trader if it is just yourself OR partnership if you have a business partner.

Hope this helps

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The above is not necessarily true.
    If it is a small company or a single member Ltd Company you do not need audited accounts each year. You can apply for an audit exemption.
    Check the Linky for info

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I'm with cutesaw ........ I believe that a sole trader set-up may be the best initially to reduce cost and admin.
    you can register the business name on core.ie and then get the .ie domain when you've received the cert.

www.elive.net have good offers for bundles of domains - i.e. the .ie / .com and .co.uk domains for a bundled price.

I'd also think twice about clashing names - I would want the .com domain as part of my business.
    I'm launching a Project Mgt service in the next 2 months and one of the requirements was that .ie .com & .co.uk had to be available from the outset. It meant choosing a name that was available on all three but I did not want to clash with someone else or have to re-brand when I release it in the UK and USA in the coming years.

BTW - register with core.ie online and the cert gets issued faster. You fill out the form online and then print off a page which you sign and return with a cheque. The cert is then issued a number of weeks later. I called them and they said 5 weeks - got it back in 3

Best of luck

Advertisement