Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide, Swords, Portmarnock area be vigilant for burglars

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

My house had an attempted break in last night (first time ever) - they tried to come in through the back Conservatory door and they had the right tools aswell by the looks of things. For some reason (probrably due to my dog) they seem to have got cold feet because they did not complete their meticulous deconstruction of my lock! My neighbour across the road also got robbed by the same thugs but they actually got into their house and took cash the exact same way.

My neighbour said one guy hopped out of a car and walked and jumped the wall straight into my back garden at about 9:30pm last night - I was watching television - they said he looked Asian FWIW. - Presumably they returned later in the night.

Those in the Swords, Malahide (especially), Portmarnock area should be extra vigilant IMO...its very very rare in this area. All of a sudden two in one night on the one road.

And like I say they had the tools and probrably got more houses aswell in Malahide id imagine at least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Thanks darkman2. Glad you had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Not so uncommon here in Swords tbh.

Happened once for myself before. Caught some guys from Blanch for it. All they took was milk from my fridge after presumably giving up on finding car keys which were well tucked away upstairs. Found milk cartons in their car after they pulled them and the prints matched too. Frucking donkeys :D Didn't bother with gloves it seems.

Those guys had some guile to be hopping over walls in early evening. Unusual for Asians to be involved in such crimes. Are we talking far-east or more subcontinent?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

darkman2 wrote: »
    My house had an attempted break in last night (first time ever) - they tried to come in through the back Conservatory door and they had the right tools aswell by the looks of things. For some reason (probrably due to my dog) they seem to have got cold feet because they did not complete their meticulous deconstruction of my lock! My neighbour across the road also got robbed by the same thugs but they actually got into their house and took cash the exact same way.

My neighbour said one guy hopped out of a car and walked and jumped the wall straight into my back garden at about 9:30pm last night - I was watching television - they said he looked Asian FWIW. - Presumably they returned later in the night.

Those in the Swords, Malahide (especially), Portmarnock area should be extra vigilant IMO...its very very rare in this area. All of a sudden two in one night on the one road.

And like I say they had the tools and probrably got more houses aswell in Malahide id imagine at least.
    What area of malahide are you talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

dsmythy wrote: »

Those guys had some guile to be hopping over walls in early evening. Unusual for Asians to be involved in such crimes. Are we talking far-east or more subcontinent?

I dont know. My neighbour just said they thought the guy who hopped the wall looked 'Asian' in appearance. Nothing specific. Another guy apparently just sat in the car. If only they had fuppin said somethin to me last night:mad: Bah - you know how silly neighbours can be:rolleyes: They asked me if 'I had freinds over yesterday evening':rolleyes: - Yeah my freinds normally hop the wall and go in the back way......:confused:

They did not steal anything but I had to spend 600 Euro today for decent locks on doors.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    What area of malahide are you talking about?

Between the Village and Seabury. Id rather not be anymore specific then that regarding my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

My neighbour across the road also got robbed by the same thugs but they actually got into their house and took cash the exact same way.

Ahhhh, cash....;)

1. Who in this day and age still deals with big amounts of cash?
    2. If you have a fat wad of cash, surely you'd put if somewhere safe?
    3. How would the burglars know about the cash, and where exactly it is?

Let me guess - insurance covers up to a certain amount of cash....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

T-Maxx wrote: »
    1. Who in this day and age still deals with big amounts of cash?
    2. If you have a fat wad of cash, surely you'd put if somewhere safe?
    I missed the bit where the OP said it was a big amount of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I missed the bit where the OP said it was a big amount of cash.
    +1

A 1 cent coin is 'cash'.

You're right - the OP didn't disclose the amount. Maybe it was 1c.:rolleyes:

"Darn , the burglars broke into my house and stole 1c cash."

The burglars did not get into my house. They got into my neighbours house and stole 500 euro out of the man's wife's purse. Did you read my opening post:confused:

• Advertisement

The burglars did not get into my house. They got into my neighbours house and stole 500 euro out of the man's wife's purse. Did you read my opening post:confused:

Yes, I did. Why do you ask?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

darkman2 - just wondering if you had the house alarmed?

darkman2 - just wondering if you had the house alarmed?

No but im getting it done in the next couple of days. Im undecided whether to get fake boxes or an alarm. I have put in new locks though and pin locks for the conservatory door - realistically a window would have to be smashed or cut to get in now. The front door would need something like a sledge hammer after I got a deadlock installed.

I just hope ive raised awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Friend of mine lives in knocksedan the back roads of swords and there were some attempted robberies there last week as well...

My friends side gate was left open.. but no sign of forceable entry to her house.. lucky her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

in this case the op was lucky, i installed alarms for about 5 years and every second house i went into it was a case of locking the gate after the horse bolted. i found ppl had a laxed sense of security up untill the point they were burgled. any form of security is a good idea, barking dogs and lights being the most basic, after that its hi-tech alarms and cctv. if these ppl want to get into your home or car theres not a lot you can do except slow them down or try to deter them. they will usually hit an area and do a few houses, by the time the first house is reported and delt with by the gaurds they are on their 4th or 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do you think it could be a case of people delivering leaflets/free newspapers check out the house and if the leaflet hasn't been taken from the letter box then the thief knows the house is unoccupied? (this was said in another thread).

Advertisement