Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly is a crew cab?

• 28-08-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new 4X4, I'm new to the market so everything is a bit new and confusing atm..

I'm a maintenance man and carry a lot of tools in my car, so I was thinking it's time to get a commerical or something similar, however, given that I have a family and the price of what I'm looking at I'd like to have seats in the back which my family could use also.

It would be the main family/work vehicle. I've just now been researching crew cabs but admittedly I'm at a loss as to what exactly is defined as a "crew cab" - at first I thought it was just the likes of the Toyota Hilux, like this:

Toyota Hilux:
    toyota_hilux_3_0_d_4d.jpg

However, I've just now seen that the Kia Sedona is also classed as a crew cab - yet it looks much more like a family MPV than a true commercial vehicle..

Kia Sedona:

800px-2005_Kia_Sedona.jpg

So what exactly is a "crew cab"? At the minute I'm really considering a Ssangyong Rexton, it's exactly what I'm looking for with a large boot and yet also seats in the back - could this also be classed as a crew cab?

Again, it would be for work/domestic, I can only afford to keep one vehicle on the road, so I need something that will be suitable for both.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!!

And for reference...

Ssangyong Rexton:
    800px-Ssangyong_Rexton_%28first_generation%29_%28rear%29,_Serdang.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

crewcabs were reclassified a few years back, cars like the Sedona and Land Cruiser VX were converted to crewcabs (think it changed in 2003)
    there is usually a bulkhead between the passenger and load compartments.

something like a Hilux crewcab with a canopy might fit the bill

Hilux_grey6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think that the Rexton could be classified as a crewcab.

The load area needs to be a certain size to qualify. In most 4x4's the load area is not big enough when the rear seats are still in place ...they get converted to two seater commercials.

The Sedona is the only crew-cab that I'm aware of that looks remotely like a car ...all others are either double cab pickups or vans with an extra row of seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Strictly speaking you can't carry your family in a crew cab(or any other commercially taxed vehicle) unless it's taxed privatly, if its taxed commercially and you get stopped at a revenue check point with your kids or other non work related people, they can seize the vehicle. The revenue officers have recently been setting up checkpoints at GAA grounds, Race courses, marts etc to check for this as(as well as ag diesel etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭emaherx

Strictly speaking you can't carry your family in a crew cab(or any other commercially taxed vehicle) unless it's taxed privatly, if its taxed commercially and you get stopped at a revenue check point with your kids or other non work related people, they can seize the vehicle. The revenue officers have recently been setting up checkpoints at GAA grounds, Race courses, marts etc to check for this as(as well as ag diesel etc.)

Thats where you explain: that you are a farmer and have just driven here to look for a missing cow, and you have the wife and kids with you to get the animal back;).

on a farm all family members are work related people.:D

For an SUV to be classed as a crew cab there must be a bulkhead between the back seats and the load space. Windows in the load space must be blacked out also. I'd imagine the load space most be fairly large also. No way you'd get away with having back seats followed by a bulkhead followed directly by rear door.

Land Rover Defender 110 crew cab vans are fairly common not sure about other makes. Also common in Vans like Ford Transits etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Lol, thanks for that emaherx! I'll keep that in mind! ;)

Thanks for all the info guys, been doing more research and being trying to get through someone at the VRT offices and Revenue, no luck yet though!

I think this may be more hassle than it's worth, so I think I just may get an older commercial for business only, and get a more decent family car then so everything's all above board and legit, probably less hassle in the long run!

• Advertisement
Advertisement