Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$50 an hour for picking lettuce?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Did anyone actually take him up on his offer and get paid?

From what I gather he is actually defending illegal workers? Do they get paid $50 an hour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Hobbes wrote: »
    Wow. Did anyone actually take him up on his offer and get paid?

From what I gather he is actually defending illegal workers? Do they get paid $50 an hour

No, around where I live they get paid less than minimum. Maybe $5/hr. He's putting out the offer because he knows nobody would be able to do it. I can't believe he's defending immigrants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can't believe he's defending immigrants.

Why? He's long been known to take a slightly different line than the farther right of the Republican party on that issue. As it happens, his position is more or less in line with Bush's, much to the severe disappointment of the Party Base who want a more hard-line attitude.

NTM

Don't have youtube in work, can someone give a brief synopsis on what the video says, and who it is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

"I'll offer anybody here $50/hour, if you'll go pick lettuce in Yuma this season, and pick for the whole season. Ok, sign up, sign up, but if you sign up you'll be there for the whole season, the whole season, not just one day, because you can't do it my friend."

Comments were made in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Myth wrote: »
    Don't have youtube in work, can someone give a brief synopsis on what the video says, and who it is about?

The video is a short version. Transcript:
    McCain: I don't think I need to tell you that there are jobs that Americans will not do. I don't think I need to tell you that there, are, are....

*Rumblings in the crowd, McCain, obviously flustered sorta continues*

McCain:...backbone of our economy.

Construction worker#1: Why don't you pay them the right wages.
    Construction worker #2: Pay them the right wages!

McCain: You know, I've heard that statement before. Now my friends, I'll offer any one of you here $50 dollars an hour if you'll go pick lettuce in Yuma this, this season, and, and pick for the whole season.

*Construction workers obviously agitated by McCain's disassociation for reality are jeering*

McCain:(loud and now viciously attacking the workers) So.., OK, sign up....Ok, now you sign up, you sign up and you will be there for the WHOLE SEASON, THE WHOLE SEASON! Not just for one day! Because you just can't do it my friend!

I am pretty sure a lot of people would pick lettuce for at least 8,000 a month (that is based on 40 hour week, 5 days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hobbes wrote: »
    I am pretty sure a lot of people would pick lettuce for at least 8,000 a month (that is based on 40 hour week, 5 days).
    I imagine most people would be hospitalised after spending that much time crouched over.

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine most people would be hospitalised after spending that much time crouched over.

At least you will be able to afford it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, "pretty sure" would about cover it. Did anyone actually take him up on that offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

People from the audience offered to, and others showed up at his office with application forms, and were turned away...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

His argument is loaded.

He applauds the immigrant worker population for their hard work, but when it comes to offering them a fair wage he brushes the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because if companies were legally mandated to offer them a 'fair wage' there wouldn't be as many jobs going around. ten immigrants working for 4 dollars an hour is better than four working for ten an hour. That's six more people who have jobs, can save money and can eat.

because if companies were legally mandated to offer them a 'fair wage' there wouldn't be as many jobs going around.

Jobs would still be needed to be filled. Profits would be hit and would just be passed onto the consumer rather then be absorbed.

Still the fact that these are illegal workers he is defending.

People from the audience offered to, and others showed up at his office with application forms, and were turned away...

Who in particular?
    Jobs would still be needed to be filled. Profits would be hit and would just be passed onto the consumer rather then be absorbed.

Still the fact that these are illegal workers he is defending.

Hes defending immigrants, and defending offering a path of legalisation to illegal immigrants who are doing jobs like picking lettuce that others will not do. These are positions McCain is well known for - hes a moderate afterall, not a fanatic. He tried and failed to introduce a bill to address twin concerns of securing the border with Mexico and to attempt to bring existing illegal migrants into the legal workforce - where they can be taxed, regulated, etc etc. That more or less is the solution. Its just a question of getting people on side with it.

Hes a terrible, terrible man clearly. Id assume Obama is going to withdraw the US military from Iraq and use them to round up illegals in concentration camps before shoving them into converted cattle trains and ship them south to Mexico?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can see why his bill was shot down though. You can secure the border then reward anyone who manages to make it across.

Well thats the thing - regularising the status of the existing group of illegals is the least worst option - the other solution I noted above might play well to hardliners but its not a viable option given that it would be a difficult image to live down...military roundups, concentration camps, forcible rail transport etc etc. Anything less than that - the current situation say - would be basically ineffective given the numbers involved.

On the other hand, the border would also need to be secured in whatever fashion so that it can be argued that this is the final mass "legalisation" and no others will be "rewarded" for crossing illegally. Nobody likes being made a fool of.

The trick for McCain or other lawmakers is convincing people that they can secure the border effectively.

Advertisement