Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting paint off a car!

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Guys,

Was driving the mothers car last night which is a bit bigger than my own, and managed to scrape it off a green gate(would have made it in my car), which doesn't look great on a almost new metallic silver car! I need to get the paint off today, so I can return the car this evening. Was told that diesel would work, but it would strip the original paint work.

Any idea??? Really stuck here :eek:

Thanks,

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Autoglym Paint renovator,

get it from halfords or similar.

Worked on mine, also metallic silver and got a big red stripe of paint off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Isn't T-Cut used for this? - Don't quote me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I used some meguires paint cleaner - from halfords, probably much the same as the autoglym stuff or T-Cut. Worked a treat, removed some oily finger prints aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Rubbing Compound and then wax it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Isn't T-Cut used for this? - Don't quote me on that though.

:D

I'd be very cautious about using T-Cut on a metallic finish. Rub too hard and go through the laquer coat and you're in trouble. Better to talk to your local motor shop or Halfords and get advice on the safest paint remover - bearing in mind that the paint on the car will be a quite different formulation to than on the gate post. For example, I've used tar remover for that in the past since it doesn't affect the car paint but will shift almost anything else. But I'd still get advice on that or your mam will possibly have your blood:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Clay bar has removed paint from another car's door for me. Dunno if it could cope as well getting off Hammerite or whatever, but it's certainly a safer option than T-Cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rubbing compound, polish, and a bit of common sense with regards to how hard you rub it in is all that's needed

Advertisement