Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why won't people go into yellow boxes?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Why the hell won't people go into yellow boxes when they are turning right and it won't block any traffic with the right of way. So so annoying. They stay back at the white line and nobody will ever let them across because they're too far back. They get no chance to go when the lights go orange either. Sometimes if there's no light specially for going right they might not get out at all. Stupid stupid stuipd. Was waiting at Dennehy's cross in Cork for 10 minutes because some idiot wouldn't go into the yellow box. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Because it is illegal! You can only enter the yellow box if you can clear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

why DO people go into yellow boxes when they're not supposed to?

Simple: They don't know the ROTR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

gpf101 wrote: »
    Why the hell won't people go into yellow boxes when they are turning right and it won't block any traffic with the right of way. So so annoying. They stay back at the white line and nobody will ever let them across because they're too far back. They get no chance to go when the lights go orange either. Sometimes if there's no light specially for going right they might not get out at all. Stupid stupid stuipd. Was waiting at Dennehy's cross in Cork for 10 minutes because some idiot wouldn't go into the yellow box. :mad:

People who don;t know the rules of the road concerning the yellow box. They only seem to remember the first bit of it: "do not enter a yellow box...." :D

It's very annoying though. It's almost as if they're expecting a magical filter light to appear and guide them through the junction.

WRONG!!

You may enter a yellow box if your exit is clear or if you are turning right as the OP has said.
    Maybe you also need to read the ROTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I did my test this year and I was told that it is ok to enter the box if you are turning right. It is only illegal to go into it if you are going straight and a turn of lights will cause you to block it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nope - as pointed out, yes you can/should. See The Rules of the Road....

P.S. v.good site that, actually........
    P.P.S. yellow boxes are up there with 'should I stay or should I go now' right green filters........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

Sounds like some ones having a bad morning! :)

I dont know why people dont do it, I think that a lot of people dont realise it is legal, the whole point of the the yellow box it to allow traffic to flow more freely, if a person is turning right they will cause no difficultys to other traffic, infact they may be clearing the road to enable cars behind them to turn left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its ok when turning right as long as you can position yourself so you are not obstructing traffic behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I guess this is a case in point! A lot of people seem to be of the same wrong opinion as the poster above....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I guess this is a case in point! A lot of people seem to be of the same wrong opinion as the poster above....
    Thats why I posted it to be honest, wanted to see how many people don't actually know the rule. Right rant over I've calmed down now! It is just one of my pet hates, especially if you want to go left and you can't because of those that fear the mighty yellow box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Fair enough - hold up my hand - too many pints last nite! Forgot to clarify myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

In some boxes the lights could change as you wait in the box leaving you as a potential sitting duck for any watching gardai. Depending on their humour they can hit you with either for not obeying lights or sitting in the junction box or they know exactly what you were trying to do and ignore it.

I'd be reluctant to enter the yellow box unless I could either clearly see traffic was light enough that a gap was likely or if I knew that eventually the lights would give me a few guaranteed seconds to turn.

In the last couple years I've come across junctions which have a turn right light but which doesn't turn on in the sequence you'd expect, i.e for a few seconds after the straight through has stopped and before the other road is allowed through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In some boxes the lights could change as you wait in the box leaving you as a potential sitting duck for any watching gardai. Depending on their humour they can hit you with either for not obeying lights or sitting in the junction box or they know exactly what you were trying to do and ignore it.

I'd be reluctant to enter the yellow box unless I could either clearly see traffic was light enough that a gap was likely or if I knew that eventually the lights would give me a few guaranteed seconds to turn.

In the last couple years I've come across junctions which have a turn right light but which doesn't turn on in the sequence you'd expect, i.e for a few seconds after the straight through has stopped and before the other road is allowed through the junction.

If you are in a yellow box intending to turn right, you may do so even if the lights have gone red.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you are in a yellow box intending to turn right, you may do so even if the lights have gone red.
    Exactly, and even if there isn't a yellow box, the same applies. Traffic lights control the entrance to a junction, not the exit. The lights you see as you turn right to exit the junction are effectively repeaters for the lights on the other side of the junction, not lights controlling your exit from it.

That having been said, I have heard of people being done for it, presumably by Gardai that don't know the rules themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

The point of the box is not keep everyone out of that area of the road, its to stop ignorant ppl blocking the junction.

A perfect example is the N81 out of templeogue. There is no right turn filter light on the junction and a hugh yellow box. This box allows ppl to turn right and also buses to get into templeogue. Every now and again you get a fool who wont go into the box and ends up sitting while the traffic light cycle from green to red to green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nope - as pointed out, yes you can/should. See The Rules of the Road....

P.S. v.good site that, actually........
    P.P.S. yellow boxes are up there with 'should I stay or should I go now' right green filters........

Geniuses on the road who have never read the ROTR is bad enough but what scares me is ROTR.ie homepage. They have a audio version of ROTR, for the Blind presumably...:eek::D

Hagar wrote: »
    Geniuses on the road who have never read the ROTR is bad enough but what scares me is ROTR.ie homepage. They have a audio version of ROTR, for the Blind presumably...:eek::D

Pedestrians need to know what we're doing too....especially the blind ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In some boxes the lights could change as you wait in the box leaving you as a potential sitting duck for any watching gardai
    As has been said, that is incorrect. One you have enter the junction, you may legally turn on red.

What I find frustrating is those who insist on waiting for a right turn filter arrow when they have a full green light and there is nothing approaching.

(The right turn into the Omni Shopping Centre in Santry (Dublin) is a regular place for this muppetry).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

That having been said, I have heard of people being done for it, presumably by Gardai that don't know the rules themselves.

A handful of gardai hand out points and fines either because they've made an honest but stupid mistake or opportunistically. If you want to avoid points you've unfortunately got to take this into account while driving. This does generate bad driving, i.e. not going into a junction box or worse dangerously braking when the lights go amber.

I think there's been a few people done for breaking lights, where the garda was on the far side of the junction and was guessing the state of the lights he couldn't see by the lights he could see.

As has been said, that is incorrect. One you have enter the junction, you may legally turn on red.

What I find frustrating is those who insist on waiting for a right turn filter arrow when they have a full green light and there is nothing approaching.

(The right turn into the Omni Shopping Centre in Santry (Dublin) is a regular place for this muppetry).

The variation on this is at Ivans in Limerick, the filter has a full set of lights but ther'll always be some tool driving a 97 Passat with chrome all over it that jumps it when the straight and left green comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

What is worse is people going into the yellow box who are on the straight line at T-Junctions...there is a particular one coming onto the swords road, there is a pub to the right and a bookies to the left (it is the t-juncition just past whitehall crossroads going into city centre)....cars going straight in the morning heading down to Griffith avenue always go into the yellow box at this t-junciton, meaning if trying turn right onto Swords road you have no chance...

Beep the horn and they look at you as if you have a nerve for pointing out they are blocking everyone and breaking the law, the thing is they can see you are trying to get out and still simply block it!!! And I have to say most of them are North Reg cars, same with the people using the bus lane on the swords road, majority North Reg cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

As has been explained, you are allowed and supposed to sit in the junction if turning right, and once the lights turn red, you proceed to turn and exit the junction.
    Same thing as above. I hope for the benefit of those who have to share the road with you that you've seen the light and will now use yellow boxes correctly?
    One of two things could be happening here. Either you get a green circle and move into the box, then it goes red without a filter and you're free to turn as above. Or you get a green forward arrow without a green right arrow and you don't move into the box because you have no permission to begin your turn. Either way, you never get stuck in the box. Please use them as they're intended.
    This does generate bad driving, i.e. not going into a junction box or worse dangerously braking when the lights go amber.
    Going by your above argument, instead of driving within the law, I should probably drive everywhere at 120mph, because there may be dishonest and/or stupid gardai who will book for me going under 110?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hmm. One more peculiarity about these that no-one's mentioned so far.

As far as I know, you're allowed to enter them if their purpose is to allow you out from a side street onto a main road, even if you're turning left.

This was taught to me by my driving instructor, who was awesome and I believe. It's just not at http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/yellow-box-junctions.html so I don't know what's up with that.

As an example, It's okay to pull out of Florence Rd. and turn left onto Main St. in Bray (assuming it hasn't changed drastically in the four years since I've driven there!), even if you get stuck in the box when the lights change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

ShayK1 wrote: »
    why DO people go into yellow boxes when they're not supposed to?

NO, Because the Gardaí do not enforce the rule of the road adequately .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Balfa wrote: »
    As far as I know, you're allowed to enter them if their purpose is to allow you out from a side street onto a main road, even if you're turning left.

This was taught to me by my driving instructor, who was awesome and I believe. It's just not at http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/yellow-box-junctions.html so I don't know what's up with that.

Yep thats right (well according to my instructor it was.)

I witnessed a fine example of gardai not knowing the rules, and of people not reading the correct traffic lights just last week. I was at the end of the ballycullen road, turning left onto the firhouse road (this is a crossroad for anyone who doesnt know it.) Garda car in front of me and we got a green arrow. The car proceeded around the corner and stopped half way round at the red light (The red light for those driving along the firhouse road.) Now this takes some amount of idiocy to even see this light. So what do you do in that situation? stand on the horn or wait? I waited.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

noblestee wrote: »
    Yep thats right (well according to my instructor it was.)

I witnessed a fine example of gardai not knowing the rules, and of people not reading the correct traffic lights just last week. I was at the end of the ballycullen road, turning left onto the firhouse road (this is a crossroad for anyone who doesnt know it.) Garda car in front of me and we got a green arrow. The car proceeded around the corner and stopped half way round at the red light (The red light for those driving along the firhouse road.) Now this takes some amount of idiocy to even see this light. So what do you do in that situation? stand on the horn or wait? I waited.

See this every single day at Maxol in Maynooth. Whats worse though is there used to be a corner where there was a pedestrian light around the corner, you could go through at the end of the green and be hit with a red for the pedestrian light straight away. Got beeped at as a driver and nearly milled out of it as a pedestrian for using this as intended...

Was eventually fixed by making sure it didn't go red unless the left turn had been red for some seconds, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

MYOB wrote: »
    See this every single day at Maxol in Maynooth. Whats worse though is there used to be a corner where there was a pedestrian light around the corner, you could go through at the end of the green and be hit with a red for the pedestrian light straight away. Got beeped at as a driver and nearly milled out of it as a pedestrian for using this as intended...

Was eventually fixed by making sure it didn't go red unless the left turn had been red for some seconds, thankfully.

I was just about to post that - where the Celbridge road joins the Straffan Road - it's so frustrating when people turning left think that red light is for them
    and jam on the brakes

same happens in carlow at the junction near the bus park, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Pretty much whats wrong with driving in this country in a nutshell there,people do not know the rules of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Build a bridge. That post was made, corrected, and apologised for three weeks ago! Read the thread next time.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement