Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens obsessed with water!

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I seem to be always posting questions about my kittens :D Ok this is a strange one... our two 6 month old kittens have become obsessed with the water in their bowl. As soon as we fill it, there straight over to dip their paws in it and generally splash each other. By the time we come back from work, they have no water in their bowl and the wooden floor & rug is ruined.

We have tried putting less in it, putting it in a different colour bowl in case it's the reflection but nothing works. This has only started happening in the last few weeks and we've ended up having to put plastic under our rug because the water is just seaping through. Does anyone have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Mine would have done that kind of thing but only if there was a little speck of dust or a hair floating the water. But they both love to play with running water, dripping taps etc

Cats & kittens shouldn't really be without water though so maybe you could look at getting a water fountain? Something like this https://www.brendaspets.ie/content/catit-drinking-fountain-cats But Dunnes had some pet fountains recently that were cheaper than that one.

They will definitely play with that I'm sure but at least there would also be some drinking water available all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

sounds like they might be bored. Try getting a big tree house scratching post and putting it where the water was, move the water then to the counter top, if they can jump up there to get water that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

Thanks for the comments, they have the biggest cat post we could find. It has a cubby, scratch post, little tunnel etc and they love it. They also have a room full of toys (they are not half spoiled) so I don't think there bored. Also, they do it when we are there aswell when they have the run of the house. We change the water all the time to make sure there is nothing floating so we're at a loss.

Might look into one of those water holders, they look a bit cumbersome though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Just get them an extra-large rabbit water bottle. Think they hold at least 3/4 of a litre, you can get them in Petstop :)

Would you tie the water bottle on to something then? That could be tricky finding some where to put it. The things we do for pets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

You can get bowls that don't spill, even if you turn them upside down!
    Our Babydog does the same thing.:rolleyes:

Can you? I'm definitely investing in one at the weekend. They have the (expensive) rug ruined at this stage and the wooden floor is always damp, I'm thinking its not good! Animals are crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

mine are interested in water also - I sometimes give them an old basin with a few centimetres of water and some corks and things floating in it, kept them happy jumping in and out and batting things around in the water. Not too much on the floor after..!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I'd recommend a water fountain as previously said ;)
    I have 2 cats who adore playing with water..... and have had numerous foster kittens who love it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Is it a chrome bowel? My collie used to scratch at the bottom of the bowel when she seen some other dog looking up at her when she went to have a drink - obviously all the water would be spilled.

She gradually grew out of it though when she realised the reflection was her own. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

are only €33.50 in boardwalk i got one for a friends cat a few weeks ago in boardwalk in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Def try a fountain. My Maine coon loves to play in water and if it's in an ordinary bowl he will empty it. We got two fountains and as our guys have access to an enclosed garden we also got a water fountain for outside and that has certainly helped with the problem, he can empty that one all he wants so he doesn't bother with the indoor ones.
    They are also very hard to completly empty as they hold so much water.

Advertisement