Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think about pay parking in Greystones

Options
  • 29-08-2008 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Must say I was against it on principle but now it's up and running I'm amazed at how much space is available. Reckon it shows how many people used to park in the village and go off on the Dart rather then use the long term carpark.
    That said, €1 per hour is too expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I agree that it's a positive step and I don't even think that €1 per hour is too bad really. Factor in that you can park in the Meridian for free for up to one hour and it's a decent situation.

I agree with sentiments posted previously that it's a nuisance having it on Saturdays as it can put people off shopping in the village if they have to pay for on-street parking. That said, it's not done Super Valu much harm (but I think you can claim a refund of the fee if you're shopping there?).

I had noticed last week that the enforcement guys are around quite a bit. Nothing like zealous contractors to get the job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

since pay parking, the two times I have had to go to XtraVision, I have got a space right outside (either directly infront or infront of Bells). AWESOME!!

Has also made actually driving through the town a little easier as cars aren't parked on both sides of the road all the way down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

it's great for village, but south beach carpark shouldn't be 1 per hour all day.old system was good there.no parking till 10 or 11.cuts out commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

I agree it is great. Since it came in there is at least twice the amount of cars in the park and ride carpark, just goes to show how many people were parking illegally previously. It is a shame that it took a parking fee for people to obey the rules and show a bit of common courtesy to those wishing to use the parking in Greystones whilst doing their shopping, banking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

my only issue are the ugly parking meters and new bright markings around the burnaby. it is great that it is not being used as a car park anymore though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katek

I think the main street being pay parking is a great idea but I am totally against the seafront and south car park being charged for . I reckon it is just greedy and lots of people with small kids use the playground parking and elderly people and people with disabilities use the seafront parking to go for short walks which they are now charging for. I think its just mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Must say I was against it on principle but now it's up and running I'm amazed at how much space is available.

Yes, I agree 100%
    That said, €1 per hour is too expensive.

Far too expensive and my worry is that this price will rapidly increase :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fishdog wrote: »
    Far too expensive and my worry is that this price will rapidly increase :mad:
    €1 per hour is ridiculously cheap IMO. All it needs to be though is enough to deter the casual "I'll just be a minute" crowd that used to park on on double yellows and make the main street such an obstacle course in the past, not so expensive that it puts honest people off paying it, and high enough to at least cover the costs. Seems to work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I don't mind it at all its been the Norm in Larger Towns for years what i do mind is the Parking Wardens that seem to appear out of nowhere! i left my car for 2mins to get a ticket from the machine on my return there was one about to issue at ticket to me! all in the space of about 2/3mins i have heard similar complaints also AFAIK there are 2 full time wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

agree about the South Beach carpark - its mainly used by people going to the beach and the playground, they should not be charged (or at the very least it should be free on Saturdays).

The carpark behind the station appears to be empty most of the time too - this is a waste of space - maybe they could make it available for commuters at €2 a day like station carparks elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement