Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why don't the council make people aware of induction loops?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Somewhat inspired by this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366656

I'm amazed that nobody seems to realise that when you're at a set of lights and turning right, there's usually a piece of the road in front of you which looks like it has been clearly cut out, lifted out, and put back in.

This isn't decoration - it's a sensor. If you position your vehicle on it (and wait there!), it will trigger the filter light to let you and everyone behind you go.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've been stuck behind someone for numerous light sequences because they don't move forward onto the sensor.

Equally, you will often see large rectangles cut into the road when approaching lights. These are also sensors, designed to gauge how long the queue is, and in turn controls how long the green is. If you plonk yourself over this, the lights will stay green for longer, giving you a better chance of getting through them.

Why have we never been told about these - they're everywhere now, and I find them great for getting me through lights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn you and your technological insight! I though everyone understood what those lines were.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

seamus wrote: »
    Somewhat inspired by this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366656

I'm amazed that nobody seems to realise that when you're at a set of lights and turning right, there's usually a piece of the road in front of you which has been clearly cut out, lifted out, and put back in.

This isn't decoration - it's a sensor. If you position your vehicle on it (and wait there!), it will trigger the filter light to let you and everyone behind you go.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've been stuck behind someone for numerous light sequences because they don't move forward onto the sensor.

Equally, you will often see large rectangles cut into the road when approaching lights. These are also sensors, designed to gauge how long the queue is, and in turn controls how long the green is. If you plonk your front or rear wheels on this, the lights will stay green for longer, giving you a better chance of getting through them.

Why have we never been told about these - they're everywhere now, and I find them great for getting me through lights.

They're not weight sensors but induction loops. The metal in a car/engine etc induces a current in the loop and tells the traffic light control that a car is there. The loops are an easy install as all you need to do is saw cut the road, put the wire in, and seal it with tar.

I do know what you mean, a lot of drivers haven't copped on to the idea of sensor controlled traffic signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh to get out of my estate early in the mornings, unless you plonk yourself on the sensor the light will never turn green. The council had the great idea of placing a Keep Clear area over the sensor though :confused: On one occassion, I had to get out and ask the lady in front of me to move forward, poor woman must have thought she was being hi-jacked judging by the fear in her eyes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

We don't have those in Mallow. Only a few sets of temporary traffic lights that are constantly being moved around. but a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ferris wrote: »
    They're not weight sensors but induction loops. The metal in a car/engine etc induces a current in the loop and tells the traffic light control that a car is there. The loops are an easy install as all you need to do is saw cut the road, put the wire in, and seal it with tar.
    I forgot the name of them :o

Handy to know how they work though - so all you need to do is hover over them really as opposed to plonking yourself right on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I tried jumping on one once, made no difference

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Their usually not weight sensors anyway :D

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm

Edit ..too late, as usual ...work interferes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

seamus wrote: »
    Why don't the council make people aware of induction loops?

Because Paddy will be rubber-necking the loops instead of where he's going, me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Some are weight activated, aren't they? The ones with just a single line across the road. On those ones you only need to cross it, I see some people trying to actually stop on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fletch wrote: »
    On one occassion, I had to get out and ask the lady in front of me to move forward
    The difficulty is that if you make any kind of gentle gesture to encourage people to move up, they think you are trying to force them to break a red light. :rolleyes:

I've never understood either why their benefits are not advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I didnt know they existed until I read it on boards a year or two ago, so I doubt the normal joe soap has any idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

cycling diagonally across them sets them off 99% of the time :)
    very handy to know when you cycle around town

I've been cycling years and have none about them bloody years...well before I started driving

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

People in this country can't cope with fog lights, overtaking lanes, seat belts, red lights, servicing and general maintenance, etc. so what hope would the local or national governments have of education them about anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

You needed steel cap boots so:D

Advertisement