Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New printing system - no Mac support

• 29-08-2008 11:07am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

You would think they'd include Mac drivers given that they're promoting Mac purchases on computer services website. Again proof that they're either totally inept or have chosen a technically poor quality solution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

are ya talking the swap card system?all i can see is now we need to swap our student card to get the printing job done meaning that no student card = doom:pac:i wont be surprised if there is no laptop support printing now,needless to say Mac machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

WHAT!?! [EMAIL="Those....FU$%@!S"]Those....FU$%@!S[/EMAIL]!

I can't believe it, now how am I supposed to print? Gr......well whenever an assignment of mine is late I'll just blame the college and demand they give me more time.

Retards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

FFS it's not that hard to get something printed. Just upload it into your user directory via the web interface or stick it on a dongle and then go to a ucd desktop and print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

One shouldn't have to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*le sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's a step backwards from the old system in that respect. What's really odd is that the new system appears to have mac support but it seems to have been disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Or proof that you're impatient and haven't given them enough time to get it properly up and running yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Lads, it's a new system that only went in about 3 weeks ago.
    Give it a little time to work out the kinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Red Alert wrote: »
    What's really odd is that the new system appears to have mac support but it seems to have been disabled.
    *facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

You don't need your student card, you can just type in your student number.

Annoyingly, all my old printer credit is gone from the new system. I had topped it up and then they got rid of all the printers for ages. Grrr.

I had to top up a new account. I was told it would be transferred in September but I won't be here so I'll be getting a cheque. Awkward.

Works okay but I can't get wireless printing to work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Red Alert wrote: »
    have chosen a technically poor quality solution.

Maybe its you who made the technically poor quality decision

You really want to start a debate on that? Macs support at least five industry standard print systems and yet they had to pick an oddball one. (Windows supports all of them too; surely there's some system that doesn't need additional software)

And you're just jealous of my lovely glowing apple logo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OK, I have to ask: how do you know there's no Mac support? I can't get on to the UCD printer site from home, and the UCD instructions appear to be for PC only (looks like a script to automatically install the 4 print queues). But the technology behind that isn't necessarily for PC only.

It might be standard Windows SMB print queues for all I can tell from here. My point is: just because IT Services haven't (yet?) provided a simple method for setting it up, doesn't mean it can't be made to work.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

There's no easy way to figure out what in fact the script does, unless it's a .bat or .vb file - If I can do a Mac howto for the newbies tomorrow I'll try.

Thing is, it should be just plug and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

This isn't all that surprising really; UCD seems to treat Mac users as little more than a second thought. Wireless printing never worked with Mac and I couldn't for the life of me get MSN Messenger or Adium to work while on the college network. I'm thinking a strongly worded letter is in order...

Inglorious wrote: »
    This isn't all that surprising really; UCD seems to treat Mac users as little more than a second thought. Wireless printing never worked with Mac and I couldn't for the life of me get MSN Messenger or Adium to work while on the college network. I'm thinking a strongly worded letter is in order...

What did the guys in the IT Centres say when you brought your laptop in to get the MSN and Adium issues sorted out? i'm surprised they weren't able to get it going for you :confused:

was it a desktop in accommodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Fecks sake. Oh well, I've managed with Fusion for printing for 2 years, 3 more won't hurt. Although you'd think since they're selling them they'd support them. Maybe it'll be implemented later, I'll wait and see.

Told you the kinks in the new system needed to be worked out.

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/macs/

Told you the kinks in the new system needed to be worked out.

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/macs/

317 posts? what could you know?! :D

317 posts? what could you know?! :D

More than you think! Some of it even applies to Real Life too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement