Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I Need New Alloys?!?!?!?!

Options
  • 29-08-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have been thinking for a number of weeks about upgrading my alloy wheels – however I know very little about alloys in general.

After doing a little research, I have decided to look at 18 inch alloys. My budget would stretch to 1700 euro (maybe a little more if the right wheels became available). 4 stud by the way.

What I do need at this stage is recommendations on alloy makes (the stronger the better). For example, BBS, OZ, MAK etc
    Should I go for dark alloys?
    I have attached a sample picture of my preferred choice but I would more than welcome any possible alternatives!

http://www.performancealloys.com/details.asp?procedure=wheel&id_wheels='OZ%2035%20Anniversary'&id_wheels_manufacturers='O.Z%20Racing'&id_wheels_sizes='18x8'&price='324'&permission=879358911

If I do purchases the wheels, what type of selling price should I sell my existing wheels at, bearing in mind that the car is a very new car and the alloys would be about 90%?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

is this the first car you have bought, with your own money? hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Fitting 18 inch alloys on a car that wasn't designed for them can affect:

Steering
    Fuel consumption
    Speedo Readings
    Tyre Wear.
    Resale value.

Your alloys aren't really worth a whole pile tbh. Renault alloys aren't exactly hugely in demand. Ebay would be your best bet. If it was me and it was a brand new car like that I would simply keep the original wheels in the shed for when time came for the car to be sold.

As to style, colour etc. its all down to personal choice. €1700 on alloys for a Megané....is a bit mad too in my opinion. That said, your money your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lonewolf232

Thanks 'BigKev49' for the sound advice. I will take this into consideration. :)

Any further opinions would be most welcome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A nice chrome 6 spoke 16's/17's would look nice on that if I had to. Just look and see what you would like.

tbh If I owned the car I wouldnt really bother with alloys. Looks fine how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

bigkev49 wrote: »

Steering
    Fuel consumption
    Speedo Readings
    Tyre Wear.
    Resale value.

+1

I'd avoid going so high, Also those big alloys may affect comfort (rougher ride)
    they could also give you difficulty in wheel arch clearance ie; if the car is fully loaded the tires might brush your arches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

you need to take ride handling, tyre clearance into consideration. Your alloys are fine, Unless your planning on lowering it a tad i wouldnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

bigkev49 wrote: »

Steering
    Fuel consumption
    Speedo Readings
    Tyre Wear.
    Resale value.

Your alloys aren't really worth a whole pile tbh. Renault alloys aren't exactly hugely in demand. Ebay would be your best bet. If it was me and it was a brand new car like that I would simply keep the original wheels in the shed for when time came for the car to be sold.

As to style, colour etc. its all down to personal choice. €1700 on alloys for a Megané....is a bit mad too in my opinion. That said, your money your choice.

to me the picture of the car looked like an audi a4 but i could be wrong, and yes fitting bigger alloys is a risk but most cars are built to accept 2 sizes up from the original alloy, for instance if your original is 16" then u should be able to fit 18's no prob, just moving from normal profile to low profile tyres.

id go to proparts.ie, they do replica alloys, u can get a nice set or rs4 alloys or somthing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

I have been thinking for a number of weeks about upgrading my alloy wheels – however I know very little about alloys in general.

After doing a little research, I have decided to look at 18 inch alloys. My budget would stretch to 1700 euro (maybe a little more if the right wheels became available). 4 stud by the way.

What I do need at this stage is recommendations on alloy makes (the stronger the better). For example, BBS, OZ, MAK etc
    Should I go for dark alloys?
    I have attached a sample picture of my preferred choice but I would more than welcome any possible alternatives!

http://www.performancealloys.com/details.asp?procedure=wheel&id_wheels='OZ%2035%20Anniversary'&id_wheels_manufacturers='O.Z%20Racing'&id_wheels_sizes='18x8'&price='324'&permission=879358911

If I do purchases the wheels, what type of selling price should I sell my existing wheels at, bearing in mind that the car is a very new car and the alloys would be about 90%?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
    Also, save your money for somethin else you might want to buy, alloys will only depreciate in value, and unless your keeping that car for a long while, will be pointless!

Advertisement