Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a .ie address

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

how do i go about registering a .ie address and do i have to have an irish company with a few years of accounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

easiest way is to have a business name / company

If you have this you've got your business number.

Go to one of the Irish hosting companies

Blacknight / Hosting365 / Digiweb.ie

Sign up for the .ie you want there. (they are a LOT cheaper than the IEDR .. irish domain registry)

Fill in your application ... and away you go ...

There are generally terms of what you can apply for ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 john08

thanks for the info but do you have to have a few years of accounts or not?

no you don't need any accounts ...

http://www.blacknight.com/domains.html

check if your .ie is available ...

will cost you about 20 something quid ...

going direct to the IEDR is a bit of a crazy price I think 80 or something like that last time I checked

Edit: you'll probably want to get yourself hosting ... if you've and irish market ... its probably best to have it hosted in ireland.
    May cost you a few quid more .. but you get the irish IP space with it (though not all Irish hosting companies have servers located in ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Blacknight charges 24.99e for .ie domain per year

Letshost will pass it on to you for 19.99e

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    Blacknight charges 24.99e for .ie domain per year

Letshost will pass it on to you for 19.99e

where are letshost's servers located these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

john08 wrote: »
    how do i go about registering a .ie address

The question was where to register...
    You can host it wherever you want.

Maybe ask them?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 khye

Can you get to letshost.ie right now?

beazee wrote: »
    The question was where to register...
    You can host it wherever you want.

Maybe ask them?? :D

normally easier to register / host with the same for .ie's (that said I use a third party for .coms)
    khye wrote: »
    Can you get to letshost.ie right now?

Nope

Great..

:(

• Advertisement

Ah its grand again...not sure what that was.. ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

forbairt wrote: »

What does their server location matter in relation to domain registration? :confused: If they're cheaper, then they're cheaper. Simple as that.

You don't necessarily have to register a business name either. I recently registered a .ie domain using the 'Discretionary Applicant' approach. I had to state a legitimate claim to the specific domain. The IEDR agreed with my reasoning for the domain and they processed my request without me having to fork out €20 via CRO.

Waiting on CRO to process your Business Name can take a while too. I waited nearly four weeks the last time I used their service. If you want to get a .ie via a business name then buy it now via a domain reseller and then wait for your documentation to come through. The domain reseller can hold the .ie domain for you while you wait on the CRO to process your paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Waiting on CRO to process your Business Name can take a while too. I waited nearly four weeks the last time I used their service. If you want to get a .ie via a business name then buy it now via a domain reseller and then wait for your documentation to come through. The domain reseller can hold the .ie domain for you while you wait on the CRO to process your paperwork.

Only for 30 days.

What does their server location matter in relation to domain registration? :confused: If they're cheaper, then they're cheaper. Simple as that.

Given the original question I assumed the person isn't that web savy ... as such having a host with one crowd and a domain with another is going to be a bit of a brain sore for them. As such I'd recommend going with just the one crowd for both. Hence I ask where the webservers are located (when I think about it I seem to recall a post on IWF saying their servers were now located in ireland). They are targetting (asking for an IE domain) the irish market as such having Irish IP space makes sense from an SEO point of view (at least from my experience of it)

Advertisement