Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruins at Tallaght...

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone any idea what these ruins might be, I was walking down in the direction of Tallaght from the Hell Fire Club and came across these ruins beside a forest about half way down the hill... You can see the site from Google Earth, it looks like part of an old monastery and also an old Norman castle which is still standing. I don't think I can stick in the link to the site on Google Earth as an attachment here, see pic attached...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

See Google Earth link and pic of ruins...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

All I can find online is this:

"'Towards the close of that century a large house was erected at the foot of Montpelier Hill, extensive ruins of which still remain, and in the construction of which stones taken from the lodge on the hill are said to have been used. It bears the arms of the Earls of Ely, and the name Dollymount, by which it has been sometimes known, suggests that it was intended for the occupation of the lovely Dolly Monroe."

From http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/Ball3/ball3.1.htm

It's the best candidate, but I'm not a real archaeologist, so you'll have to take my opinion with a pinch of salt!

Same site has a bit more:

"We now enter the old avenue opposite, leading up to a building popularly known as "The Long House," originally called "Dollymount," and at a subsequent period "Mount Pelier House" - a name which has caused it to be confounded wit the ruin on top of the hill. The original heavy gate pillars and stone walls along the avenue still remain, as also a couple of stiles constructed for the use of foot passengers when the approach was closed during the absence of the proprietors. The house is two storeys high in front, with six windows on each side, and over the hall-door are the arms of the Ely family, surmounted by a coronet. The rooms had marble chimney-pieces and stuccoed ceilings, some portions of which yet remain; and the windows commanded a beautiful view of the County Dublin, the city and bay, with Howth, Ireland's Eye and Lambay. On each side of the house was a large arched gateway, from which extended a long wing of out-offices, servants' apartments, stables, &c., terminating at each end in a square three-storied tower with embattled top and pointed windows. Over the door of the left hand tower was, formerly, the date 1763, inscribed on the keystone of the arch - probably the date of erection or commencement.

This establishment was built as a hunting residence by Henry Loftus, Earl of Ely, the Count Loftonzo figuring so Prominently in Baratariana, whose wife, Frances Munroe, was aunt of the celebrated beauty, Dolly Monroe, after whom the Place was called "Dollymount." It was originally surrounded and sheltered by a fine plantation of trees, some of which, mostly chestnuts, may still be seen to the left on approaching the building, and on the slope of the hill above it was a splendid wood of firs and larches, as dense as a tropical forest, not a trace of which now remains, the trees having been cut down and sold by a tenant who occupied the place after it had been abandoned as a residence by the owners."

Thanks very much Buffalo for the info on above. The pics I see now look different from the site as it stands today, I don't think that big long house is still there, the castle seems from a different generation altogether. I'm going up there tomorrow to have another look at the place...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Darragh29- take a pic or two and post them up here, might help. Also, what's the name of the townland/nearest village do you know?

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Darragh29- take a pic or two and post them up here, might help. Also, what's the name of the townland/nearest village do you know?

I think it's might be just outside Cruagh parish - I don't have access to the OS maps for that exact area at present. It's about 2km WNW of Kilakee House though... could be in Kilakee townland, Cruagh parish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Just had a look at the SMR here and the castle you're talking about could be a watchtower if it's the Cruagh townland. It's a good application, play around with it, it's fun!

I had a further look at the maps I can find, and I'm pretty sure it's Tallaght. The nearest townland I can find a name for is Friarstown Lower.

If you look at the attached map, you can see 'Friarstown Lower' just below the 'G' (from Tallaght). The nearest townlands that I know of to the east are Orlagh and Kilakee, but they're in Cruagh, not Tallaght. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the OS map for the particular bit with the ruins. Some real archaeologists might have access to it though.

Cruagh churchyard is a good 2.5km to the east, if it's the site I think you're thinking of Fletch. This the one?
    P5080376.JPG?imgmax=512

edit: after looking at the SMR (thanks Fletch!), it's not listed. However, the townland is likely to be Mountpelier, Orlagh, or Friarstown Upper/Lower. Can't say for sure it's in Tallaght or Cruagh though - it's pretty much on the border.

Actually Darragh, is the site hard to access? I live not far from there (Greenhills), I walk up to the Hell Fire Club often enough, and I've nothing to do for the next two weeks. Is it on private land? Looks like a fair amount of gorse nearby.

edit: So what I meant to say is, if anyone else is interested in a little field trip, give me a PM. This Wednesday, leaving from Rathfarnham. spaceman1 is coming along too.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Actually Darragh, is the site hard to access? I live not far from there (Greenhills), I walk up to the Hell Fire Club often enough, and I've nothing to do for the next two weeks. Is it on private land? Looks like a fair amount of gorse nearby.

edit: So what I meant to say is, if anyone else is interested in a little field trip, give me a PM. This Wednesday, leaving from Rathfarnham. spaceman1 is coming along too.

Hi Buffalo. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, the site is extremely easy to assess, I'm around all this week if you are around to take a walk down here. I usually take this walk at least 3-4 times a week, I live at the foot of the hill so I'm very local, the more the merrier...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

hmmm

Advertisement