Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV question

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to ask this here but it is in relation to the next gen consoles. I have a 20' CRT and am considering updating to a 20' HD LCD (With a HDMI slot)

A little research on the web and you can find people being critical of every TV (lcd have dead pixels, contrast ratio is too low etc). This is the tv in question http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?objectid=938&mode=0&categoryid=6&sub=44&productid=710&c=1(Ive read countless customer reviews-95% good)

So I guess the question is, despite this TV's relatively low contrast ratio of 1000:1, despite the fact it is an LCD, despite the fact it is small (any bigger would look stupid where I wanna put it), will 'I' notice a decent improvement over my current Scart setup? (Especially for games/dvds etc)

Sorry for the rant but some forums, you'd swear the picture is unwatchable unless you pay over a grand for a TV.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll find that even the best TV has problems with it. CRT's have slightly awkward geometry, LCDs have problems with blacks and Plasmas suffer from a set lifetime and burn in.

If you are playing games through HDMI you will notice a big difference compared to scart although because the picture is sharper non HD material is going to look a lot worse since it really highlights how low the resolution it is. still the consoles come with upscaling which goes some way to alleviating this problem.

I would look up reviews of the TV before buying. www.avforums.com are usually quite good although you'll never get 100% good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cheers. Anything you need to worry about when buying a TV from the UK spec wise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    Cheers. Anything you need to worry about when buying a TV from the UK spec wise?

Nothing, it will run perfect here.

Advertisement