Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Thread 30th/31st August

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nice to see your man from The Darkness getting a run out for Newcastle at the back
    954642210-soccer-barclays-premier-league-manchester-united-v-newcastle-united-old.jpg
    Justin-Hawkins_177685.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arsenal are awesome. If they get the next goal I can see it being a 4 or 5 nil win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah but with Arsenal... if Newcastle get the next goal that'll probably be it. 1-1 or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Arsenal are awesome. If they get the next goal I can see it being a 4 or 5 nil win

Yeah, but they have to score soon. One goal is not a good return from such dominance. Poor finish by Adebayor to a nice move just there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Game over

Hmmm Bassong sounds a little too like Boumsong for my liking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

2-0 - they're playing Newcastle out of the game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Arsenal are just having one of those days, and a combination of our injuries, and tired legs from ET midweek is showing. Having said that, if that ganglasourous Ameobi had of gotten out of the way and let St. Michale peg it back to 1-1, it could be a totally different game.

Afraid to say it, but it is damage limitation for us right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Organismic football from Arsenal, lovely stuff.

• Advertisement

Muthafuddler, Nicky Butt off the crossbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There goes Van Persie for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Nice to see your man from The Darkness getting a run out for Newcastle at the back

Tommos Lovechild.

phil_thompson_big.jpg

There goes Van Persie for a few months.
    He is made of glass.

Superb football.

On another note, just before tht corner did anyone spot the little cracker in the crowd? They zoomed in on some oul one but right behind her the bird was quality!

:(

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Organismic football from Arsenal, lovely stuff.

Yeah, Arsenal string a pass together against Newcastle and everyone is excited!!:rolleyes:

Newsflash, this just in: whipping Newcastle is the standard.

Unless you are Man U, when a 1-1 draw without Ronaldo is a "fair result".:rolleyes:

Come back in 6 months when Van Persie is applying for the Special Olympics and Nasri is getting hip jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So, after last week's result it was a crises at Arsenal, the team that would miss out on the top four, criticisms of Wenger and the club as a whole in the transfer market etc, etc.

After midweek demolition in the CL and this game - I'm expecting the praise to flood in again tonight and tomorrow. lol football.

Vela really is a talented little guy, somethign special obvious the second he gets the ball.

Lol nice reception for Joseph

Lol nice reception for Joseph

Indeed. Might as well get it out of the way now, and get him used to what will probably be a common occurrence at most away games this season.

• Advertisement

Charlie McHugh, what would be your opinion on Joey Barton at this point? Are you happy to see him return?

The trip by Nasri was hilarious and the nutmeg from Clichy was class!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So, after last week's result it was a crises at Arsenal, the team that would miss out on the top four, criticisms of Wenger and the club as a whole in the transfer market etc, etc.

After midweek demolition in the CL and this game - I'm expecting the praise to flood in again tonight and tomorrow. lol football.

Yeah, the so-called "Analysts" are so full of it.

That said, I agree with those who note, objectively, that losing to Fulham is not where Arsenal want to be.

And whipping Newcastle is the norm, anyways. At least until King Kev doesn't have to keep selling his better/best players, and can field a properly fit team picked from his best 22.

That fat Mike Ashley is a disgrace.

So sorry for Nasri that his trip went noticed by that other knob, Styles.

Charlie McHugh, what would be your opinion on Joey Barton at this point? Are you happy to see him return?

I could have gone either way on it.

I could see why people wanted rid of him, and tbh, it's not like he has set us alight so I wouldn't have been crying if he left.

At the same time though, we have a system in place in the common law which gives those who serve their time a second chance in society. Why should Barton be any different. Aftre all, messers Woodgate, Bowyer, are still playing ball.

As things presently stand, the manager has made a decision, and that is enough for me and should be for the other fans to get on with things and get behind the team, including Barton.

Nasri is some cheeky little git.

The trip by Nasri was hilarious and the nutmeg from Clichy was class!

Nasri was a disgrace. Tripping a guy just cos he tackled him cleanly. Well in Barton. Like Arsenal never had a bevvy of players or managers with "off the field" problems.

Tony Adams drink driving, anyone??

A spot of wife-beating and coked-up-gambling from Merson??

Ray Parlour letting his wife take all his money???

Viera picking on Rat Fink Neville {Neville is disgusting but he's also tiny}

Bung-y Jumping with George Graham, perhaps??

Give it over. Barton did his crime and served his time. He's no Saint, but he's done well enought not to have some jockey sized sh!te like Nasri getting the hump at him cos Barton, shock horror, had the temerity to slide in on him and win the ball.

And whipping Newcastle is the norm, anyways. At least until King Kev doesn't have to keep selling his better/best players, and can field a properly fit team picked from his best 22.

So he chould have kept Milner, a player who on numerous occassions has expressed his desire to leave the club? Keegan wasn't forced to sell him for any reason other than the player's desire to go somewhere else.

Why? :confused:

Eh why? He committed a blatant foul and was suitably punished. What's your issue there?

Hero of College gets a 2nd yellow for calling Styles a knob, 1 week ban.

Yeah, the so-called "Analysts" are so full of it.

That said, I agree with those who note, objectively, that losing to Fulham is not where Arsenal want to be.

facepalm.jpg

Nasri was a disgrace. Tripping a guy just cos he tackled him cleanly. Well in Barton. Like Arsenal never had a bevvy of players or managers with "off the field" problems.

Give it over. Barton did his crime and served his time. He's no Saint, but he's done well enought not to have some jockey sized sh!te like Nasri getting the hump at him cos Barton, shock horror, had the temerity to slide in on him and win the ball.

So much slander, so little time.

Stop trying to sugar coat Barton. He's done more than all the above combined and deserves every bit of abuse he's going to get at away grounds. Can't wait til he plays at the COMS.

Yeah, and every single one of those people you mentioned got booed and abused by fans, and wound up by opposing players, just like Barton will get. What's your point?

Edit: Lol at the inclusion of Viera in your little rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Superb football.

On another note, just before tht corner did anyone spot the little cracker in the crowd? They zoomed in on some oul one but right behind her the bird was quality!

That old one was caught by motd cameras last season giving giggs the two fingers as he took a corner :D motd interviewed her about it she was well mortified about it.

I could have gone either way on it.

I could see why people wanted rid of him, and tbh, it's not like he has set us alight so I wouldn't have been crying if he left.

At the same time though, we have a system in place in the common law which gives those who serve their time a second chance in society. Why should Barton be any different. Aftre all, messers Woodgate, Bowyer, are still playing ball.

As things presently stand, the manager has made a decision, and that is enough for me and should be for the other fans to get on with things and get behind the team, including Barton.

Nasri is some cheeky little git.

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear you have that reaction tbh. No he hasn't been great for ye so far - but once he has been released he should definitely be allowed the chance to resume his career imo.

As for the Nasri trip, it's not a good sign for him - obv taking into account how young he is. Barton pwned him in a challenge fair and square - to react like that is terribly immature imo. A player gets the best of you with one robust challenge and it causes you to commit a bookable offense straight after. Good to see he can be rattled so easily.

Fair play to Butt and Keegan for standing up for their teammate and by extension their club by vocalizing their displeasure to the ref and the Arsenal players respectively.

Newcastle have been going the right direction under Keegan - and that is two tough away fixtures out of the way for them before we have even hit September.

As for the Nasri trip, it's not a good sign for him - obv taking into account how young he is. Barton pwned him in a challenge fair and square - to react like that is terribly immature imo. A player gets the best of you with one robust challenge and it causes you to commit a bookable offense straight after. Good to see he can be rattled so easily.

And you reach your conclusions about Nasri on one incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Hero of College gets a 2nd yellow for calling Styles a knob, 1 week ban.

I like how you worked the insult itself back in just to hammer it home about styles :D

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And you reach your conclusions about Nasri on one incident.

I haven't made or claimed to have made any conclusions on him! I've only noted that it is "not a good sign for him - obv taking into account how young he is". Can you read and interpret English correctly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

s for the Nasri trip, it's not a good sign for him - obv taking into account how young he is. Barton pwned him in a challenge fair and square - to react like that is terribly immature imo. A player gets the best of you with one robust challenge and it causes you to commit a bookable offense straight after. Good to see he can be rattled so easily.

Fair play to Butt and Keegan for standing up for their teammate and by extension their club by vocalizing their displeasure to the ref and the Arsenal players respectively.

I wont even justify a comment on nasri cause its a poor attempt on a wind up, but i find it funny that you are so keen to defend a scum bag like barton.
    he deserves anything he gets tbh.

Sorry mods am i allowed to call him a scum bag due to his long list of run ins with the law? Like is it not an suitable label?
    I wonder what ban the FA will give him next week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can you read and interpret English correctly

Ah give it up will ya!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Jank banned.

Just because a player has a past, doesn't mean the rules don't apply.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    +1

Seeya Jank!

I am not deliberately attempting to wind anyone up. My very honest opinion is that the trip was a petty act which the game doesn't need - and I can't imagine it is behavior that the player's manager would have been too happy with. He is young though, so I'm sure Wenger can work with him to cut out such stupidity from his game. We shall see.

EDIT: Mods, this is ontopic discussion as far as I am aware - and I just airing an opinion on an incident from the game.

• Advertisement

Can you read and interpret English correctly?

Yes, perfectly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I haven't made or claimed to have made any conclusions on him! I've only noted that it is "not a good sign for him - obv taking into account how young he is". Can you read and interpret English correctly?
    Jaysis, and I thought I came across as condescending!

Very pleased with Arsenal's performance today. Nasri was terrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Don't really know much about Nasri, it's too early to say how he'll do. But he's looked fairly decent so far. For a young player in a new league, he seems to have settled quickly.
    The first i heard of him was when he came on against Liverpool in the Champions League in the match against Marseille that we needed to win. I think we were two up when they brought him on from the bench after half an hour even though he wasn't fully fit. He was very well rated at Marseille and the fans loved him there!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Don't really know much about Nasri, it's too early to say how he'll do. But he's looked fairly decent so far. For a young player in a new league, he seems to have settled quickly.
    The first i heard of him was when he came on against Liverpool in the Champions League in the match against Marseille that we needed to win. I think we were two up when they brought him on from the bench after half an hour even though he wasn't fully fit. He was very well rated at Marseille and the fans loved him there!!

Have to say I have been very impressed with him so far, appears to have settled into the premiership and into the Arsenal game very quickly, had another good game today. Newcastle were quite poor today, that said they won't have to play Arsenal and the likes every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Come on PHB, rescind the ban on hero of college!!!I've been p'ssing myself laughing at the stuff he's come out with over the last couple of days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what did Denilson's performance look like? from the highlights it seems he's really beginning to settle in. his positioning and movement seemed good, he's work rate seemed excellent and he's a much more potent goal threat than Flamini. would that be a fair reflection on the 90 mins?

• Advertisement

what did Denilson's performance look like? from the highlights it seems he's really beginning to settle in. his positioning and movement seemed good, he's work rate seemed excellent and he's a much more potent goal threat than Flamini. would that be a fair reflection on the 90 mins?

Would agree with most of that apart from the goal threat though it is still very early days for him, still have a feeling we may go out and sign someone in the next 50 hours or so.

Nasri's behavior was petulant and immature, and he showed himself to be a real coward thinking he would get away with it because of Barton's coloured past. I would have liked to seen the little punk try as much with Nicky Butt.

Anyone who tries to justify his behaviour because Barton was the victim is only lowering their own standards, and tbh, such events actually emplore a degree of empathy towards Barton, when the intended effect is anything but.

The reaction of Kev afterwards, and Butty during the incident, was great to see. Whether you like Barton or not, sticking up for easy targets like Barton is what being a team is all about. All for one, one for all, and all that jazz.

Arsenal were awesome today at times, and passed us off the park. I have no shame in saying that. The way they played today would make most EPL teams look ordinary, and in fact was very reminiscent of the way the played during their unbeaten season. The only thing I would be concerned of if I was a Gooner was that at 1 nil, they still left cracks in the door for us (Ameobi blocking Owen was a sure fire goal).

From a Newcastle point of view, the game was lackluster, but at the same time, inevitable; given the personal that were missing (Martins, Viduka, Duff, Geremi and even Smith), and the fact that we went to ET midweek in the Carling Cup. When MO has to play deep, and Ameobi is your creative outlet, it is always going to be a hard day at the office. Positives that can be taken is that Colo looked good again today, and Spiderman put in another great shift.

I have no doubt that some of the Southern press will try and spin things and get on Kev's back again, but 4 points from 9, with away trips to Old Trafford and The Emirates out of the way, is about as good a start as any team outside the top 4 could wish for. Also, the football we are playing is about as good as any I have seen us play since Bobby left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nasri's behavior was petulant and immature, and he showed himself to be a real coward thinking he would get away with it because of Barton's coloured past. I would have liked to seen the little punk try as much with Nicky Butt.

Anyone who tries to justify his behaviour because Barton was the victim is only lowering their own standards, and tbh, such events actually emplore a degree of empathy towards Barton, when the intended effect is anything but.

The reaction of Kev afterwards, and Butty during the incident, was great to see. Whether you like Barton or not, sticking up for easy targets like Barton is what being a team is all about. All for one, one for all, and all that jazz.

Arsenal were awesome today at times, and passed us off the park. I have no shame in saying that. The way they played today would make most EPL teams look ordinary, and in fact was very reminiscent of the way the played during their unbeaten season. The only thing I would be concerned of if I was a Gooner was that at 1 nil, they still left cracks in the door for us (Ameobi blocking Owen was a sure fire goal).

From a Newcastle point of view, the game was lackluster, but at the same time, inevitable; given the personal that were missing (Martins, Viduka, Duff, Geremi and even Smith), and the fact that we went to ET midweek in the Carling Cup. When MO has to play deep, and Ameobi is your creative outlet, it is always going to be a hard day at the office. Positives that can be taken is that Colo looked good again today, and Spiderman put in another great shift.

I have no doubt that some of the Southern press will try and spin things and get on Kev's back again, but 4 points from 9, with away trips to Old Trafford and The Emirates out of the way, is about as good a start as any team outside the top 4 could wish for. Also, the football we are playing is about as good as any I have seen us play since Bobby left.

Ah for **** sake, it was a nothing incident!! Get over it. A clip of heels?? Sure if Barton had f*cked up his tackle, he could have broken Nasri's leg. But he didn't! Fact is, Barton is a thug, he'll get abused by opposing fans and that's the reality. It's football!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bartons tackle on nasri a tad bit over zealous yes?

i smiled when nasri clipped him, twas a nice way to say "get the ****" dont leave the leg in on me.

kdjac

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake, it was a nothing incident!! Get over it. A clip of heels?? Sure if Barton had f*cked up his tackle, he could have broken Nasri's leg. But he didn't! Fact is, Barton is a thug, he'll get abused by opposing fans and that's the reality. It's football!!

Beckham got sent off and vilified in 98 for less. A clip of the heels maybe, but the opportunism on behalf of Nasri just reeked.

I know joey will get abuse over the coming year, and I have no problms with it. That's really irrelevant though to what Nasri did.

I am not trying to champion the cause of Barton, far from it. I just think the actions of Nasri were cowardly, as I believe he felt that Barton's reputation (or lack of) would ensure that he would go unpunished. If it was purely in retaliation to Joey's tackle, than I think he was equally moronic, as there was nothing wrong with the tackle and Nasri was outplayed, fair and square.

Had Joey done the same thing, I can guarantee you that the papers and these boards would be in uproar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement