Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Thread 30th/31st August

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Bartons tackle on nasri a tad bit over zealous yes?

Not in my books.
    i smiled when nasri clipped him, twas a nice way to say "get the ****" dont leave the leg in on me.

Like I said, in my view Nasri could have no qualms with the tackle. However, even if he did, why go about making his point in such a childish and cowardly manner. Could he not man up to Barton and call him out on it during or after the game? IMO, he managed to get himself involved in a situation with Joey Barton, and came out looking like the tool. Not something many will be able to claim over the coming year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not in my books.

Like I said, in my view Nasri could have no qualms with the tackle. However, even if he did, why go about making his point in such a childish and cowardly manner. Could he not man up to Barton and call him out on it?

So you dont accept one version of dirty play and accept another.

Both players should have been booked and only one was regardless of name.

kdjac

kdjac

I fail to see how Barton's play was dirty. He won the ball cleanly, and didn't go through the man. His eyes were always fixed on the ball, and never the man. Nasri on the other hand had no intention of winning the ball, and was solely fixed on taking out the man.

I find it laughable that the two incidents can be compared on an equal footing. But then I guess Joey will be fighting these prejudices for the foreseeable future*.

* cue the onslaught of accusations that Charlie is a bleeding heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To be fair, I don't think it was the actual Barton tackle that pissed off Nasri, it was the smug little smirk Barton gave him immediately after. It was arrogant and childish, and even the commentator said so it was that obvious.

Nasri shouldn't have really done what he did but I understand exactly why he did it, and I would have done the exact same given the circumstances. He had a yellow card to waste and no better person to waste it on.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think it was the actual Barton tackle that pissed off Nasri, it was the smug little smirk Barton gave him immediately after. It was arrogant and childish, and even the commentator said so it was that obvious.

I guess this is where we are going to see things differently. I interpreted the Barton smirk as an acknowledgment of the reaction he got after the tackle, knowing full well that only he could provoke such a cafuffle. Nothing sinister or snide in it, just a lol by himself at the situation, knowing these sort of reactions were what lay ahead for him over the coming year.
    Nasri shouldn't have really done what he did but I understand exactly why he did it, and I would have done the exact same given the circumstances. He had a yellow card to waste and no better person to waste it on.

Surprised to hear you say that Xavi. IMO, such actions, if in retaliation to a percieved grievance, only lower you to the other player's level, and if it was intended as a windup, then what better satisfaction then seeing it worked.

You see hot head fools like this week in week out on the Sunday parks who allow themselves to be talked into doing something stupid by the opposing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barton tackled cleanly, he won the ball and thats the end of it.
    Nasri's tackle was dirty and he deserved to be booked but why is everybody making such a big deal of it.
    You should be talking about the Arsenal performance and how they can do this one week and look so bad against Fulham last week.

In other results, I was worried before the season about our new manager and tbh I am now more worried than ever. We have 4 points but we could easily have none at this stage. Our defense is in tatters and we have no right midfielder yet Ince went out this week and bought two central midfielders. One from his old club MK Dons and the other from Torino. Both played today, Grella had an awful game and Andrews looked totally out of his depth. I'm starting to think of the Brian Kidd era and thats not good. He currently holds my Golden Failure Award for worst performance as Club Manager. He too brought in players for positions we had plenty of players while not bothering about those positions which is was clear were the reason for the previous manager being sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah for **** sake, it was a nothing incident!! Get over it. A clip of heels?? Sure if Barton had f*cked up his tackle, he could have broken Nasri's leg. But he didn't! Fact is, Barton is a thug, he'll get abused by opposing fans and that's the reality. It's football!!

Well, then football is bollocks. You are arguing that what Nasri did was not worthy of comment because we are supposed to dislike Barton? Liking Barton has nothing to do with it! It was a petulant and immature trip that should have brought at least a booking - and all because Barton puts in a great solid challenge. And fairly.

And that follows irrespective of who put in the initial tackle or who Nasri trips.

Like I said, in my view Nasri could have no qualms with the tackle. However, even if he did, why go about making his point in such a childish and cowardly manner. Could he not man up to Barton and call him out on it during or after the game? IMO, he managed to get himself involved in a situation with Joey Barton, and came out looking like the tool. Not something many will be able to claim over the coming year.

Actually ding ding ding. That's the best summation of the whole thing by a mile.

Xavi, you are a pretty bad poster - but some of the time I can actually believe you don't realize the irony of some of your viewpoints and that your lack of rationality isn't a deliberate thing. So, how do you reconcile the above viewpoint on this matter with your stated reasons for disliking Roy Keane and using his bending of the rules as a sick to beat his legacy with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It was a petulant and immature trip that should have brought at least a booking

It did.

And that really should be the end of the discussion. It was a trip that happens in every other game.

• Advertisement

Exit wrote: »
    It did.

And that really should be the end of the discussion. It was a trip that happens in every other game.

He wasn't booked!! And just because things happen "every other game" in football doesn't make them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What incident are we all talking about? Did I miss something big? I remember Nasri tripped Barton in a run of the mill he's getting into an opening type way. Was there something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kdjac

He got the ball, there was nothing wrong with the tackle

PHB wrote: »
    What incident are we all talking about? Did I miss something big? I remember Nasri tripped Barton in a run of the mill he's getting into an opening type way. Was there something else?

It was more than a "run of the mill" way. The ball was about 25 yards away with another player. It was completely off te ball and if it was on anyone else, people would be giving out yards about Nasri.

Are we going to encourage players to kick each other off the ball if they dont want to bother to chase them? Passing it off as nothing it counter productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Nope nothing else. The incident had been blown out of all proportion here simply because of this comment
    The trip by Nasri was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He wasn't booked!! And just because things happen "every other game" in football doesn't make them right.

Yes, he did get booked for it.

And I didn't say it was right. I just said it wasn't something worth talking about considering it happens quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will it be typical Arsenal this year again?

Near enough unplayable at home, but when they go away they'll be bullied off the park.

I know it's only three games in but after Fulham it's looking that way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just because he got the ball doesn't mean it was a clean tackle. He lunged in wrecklessly (jumped clean off the ground) and caught Nasri quite hard on the right leg. Fortunately Nasri didn't have weight on it or it probably would have been a break.

And Nasri WAS booked for his clip.

Talk about storm in a tea cup.

This is all about a Newcastle fan trying to defend his player who is a thug IMO.

Can we not talk about the football?:D

SantryRed wrote: »
    This is all about a Newcastle fan trying to defend his player who is a thug IMO.

So is this the way we want football to go? You can kick players off the ball as long as they have form? (be it on or off the pitch) They are now fair game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Stekelly wrote: »
    It was more than a "run of the mill" way. The ball was about 25 yards away with another player. It was completely off te ball and if it was on anyone else, people would be giving out yards about Nasri.

Are we going to encourage players to kick each other off the ball if they dont want to bother to chase them? Passing it off as nothing it counter productive.

No, but it was a yellow? Hence it's been disencouraged. This stuff happens in every single game, what in the hell are people talking about it for?
    Will it be typical Arsenal this year again?

Near enough unplayable at home, but when they go away they'll be bullied off the park.

I know it's only three games in but after Fulham it's looking that way.

People read too much into the Fulham game. It's clear to all that Arsenals midfield is weak. Fabregas is possibly the best midfielder in the league, when he plays, Arsenal are 50 times better. That's always been the case. Fabregas didn't play against Fulham.
    Just like United are completely dependent on Rooney, Arsenal are completely dependent on Fabregas. If either of those players dont play, the team is totally different.

Oddly enough both had the summer to try and correct this and so far neither have.

So is this the way we want football to go? You can kick players off the ball as long as they have form? (be it on or off the pitch) They are now fair game?

No but jesus christ. You do know other players get kicked too? It's part of the poxy game.

No but jesus christ. You do know other players get kicked too? It's part of the poxy game.

It was an off the ball tackle 25yards away from where the play was going on. Thats not part of the game.

Tripping a player, off the ball, thats running to be part of an attack because your too slow/lazy to chsae him is as bad as diving imo. It has no place in the game.

I'm all for theDid Hammann , break up play with a sloppy tackle. But kicking someone off the ball is just likewalking up to them on the street and giving them a kick in the shins cos you dotn like the look of them.

No, but it was a yellow? Hence it's been disencouraged. This stuff happens in every single game, what in the hell are people talking about it for?

It's more the attitude on here tbh that because it's joey BArton, he's fair game to be kicked in off the ball tackles.

It was an off theball tackle 25yards away from where the play was going on.

Wouldn't call it a tackle. More like a trip. And I've seen this happen before in games too.

Actually, thinking of it now. I doubt Nasri even knows who Barton is and what he's been at!

Actually, thinking of it now. I doubt Nasri even knows who Barton is and what he's been at!

I doubt he did either. But as above it's the attitude on here that because it's Joey Barton he's fair game. Should we get players to hand a sheet round before games with their criminal record on it to gauge how much they can be kicked?

ANyhoo, theres the all important "Barry Vs Liverpool IIIII ultimate super sunday slayathon"tm coming up.

It was an off the ball tackle 25yards away from where the play was going on. Thats not part of the game.

Tripping a player, off the ball, thats running to be part of an attack because your too slow/lazy to chsae him is as bad as diving imo. It has no place in the game.
    That's why they're called fouls.
    I'm all for theDid Hammann , break up play with a sloppy tackle.
    Hamann committed his fair share of cynical fouls, I'm not sure what this refers to?

• Advertisement

Ste Kelly has summed up perfectly why I was highlighting the issue. I am no big fan of Barton (despite the fact he plays for my club) but the nonchalance attitude displayed by many, simply because it's Barton, is out of line.

To those who said he was booked get over it, this was something else that cheesed me off. He only got booked after Nicky Butt protested to the Linesman, and presumably called him out on why he was ot flagging the offence. It was only after then that the referee's attention was brought to it, and Nasri booked. Had Butty said nowt, i'm pretty sure the linesman was taking the easy way out and keeping stum, presumably because, like many here, he felt 'ah well it's Barton, sure we'll let that fly'.

I think i've said enough on the matter so i'll leave it now.

I don't think that was because it was Barton involved tbh. A similar thing happened with Given and Fabregas, when it looked doubtful as to whether Fabregas was going to be booked until Given gave the ref an earful.

The ref just plainly wasn't very good. Very little consistency in any of his decisions.

Ste Kelly has summed up perfectly why I was highlighting the issue. I am no big fan of Barton (despite the fact he plays for my club) but the nonchalance attitude displayed by many, simply because it's Barton, is out of line.

No! No it's not. He's at a lower level in my book to any other footballer. He deserves to be looked down upon. And people say he should be given a second chance. This is his third chance! He beat up Dabo too.

The man is a thug and deserves all the abuse he will get this season and hopefully beyond.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It had nothing to do with Barton, it was a slight off the ball nudge. Nothing.

Very similar to the off the ball trip that coloccini did on Adebayor. Except of course that it was done on the edge of the area and stopped him being in on goal. Totally cynical foul. He got booked for it, end of story.

I don't see anyone on here going on about what a coward, cheat and a disgrace to football Coloccini is? Rightly so. How anyone can try to make a big deal about a minor off the trip like Nasri's is beyond me.

No! No it's not. He's at a lower level in my book to any other footballer. He deserves to be looked down upon. And people say he should be given a second chance. This is his third chance! He beat up Dabo too.

The man is a thug and deserves all the abuse he will get this season and hopefully beyond.

Talk down to him all you want. Give him dogs abuse from the terraces, fine. But to actually believe that he should be treated differently by referees is absolutely absurd. You do realise that by holding such views, you are only lowering your own standard to those of the like of Barton.

Just to clarify, from a Newcastle point of view, this is his second chance, the Dabo incident took place at another club and the club (rightly or wrongly) signed Barton with full knowledge of it.

• Advertisement

Talk down to him all you want. Give him dogs abuse from the terraces, fine. But to actually believe that he should be treated differently by referees is absolutely absurd. You do realise that by holding such views, you are only lowering your own standard to those of the like of Barton.

Just to clarify, from a Newcastle point of view, this is his second chance, the Dabo incident took place at another club and the club (rightly or wrongly) signed Barton with full knowledge of it.

No, sorry. I mean from fans of the game. Not the referees, obviously he should be treated the same by refs. That goes without saying.

Well then he should of been said he had only one chance, don't understand why you'd take a chance on a person who has no problem in hopping on a player from his own team. He's also stubbed a cigarette out in the eye of a youth team player before as well didn't he? While at City.

People like him don't deserve the life the have.

Well then he should of been said he had only one chance, don't understand why you'd take a chance on a person who has no problem in hopping on a player from his own team. He's also stubbed a cigarette out in the eye of a youth team player before as well didn't he? While at City.

I wouldn't disagree with you on this one, the club took an awful gamble signing him with his history. The time to turf him out was under Big Sam when he was banged up. that decision wasn't taking. When KK arrived, he obviously saw something in Barton that has changed and makes him believe that he can help reform the bloke. Remember, from KK's reign at the club, Barton hasn't acted out of line since he has been there. As a fan of the Toon, if the manager makes a decision, then we should just get on with it.

No, sorry. I mean from fans of the game. Not the referees, obviously he should be treated the same by refs. That goes without saying.

I entirely and utterly disagree with this point of view. A functioning and fair justice system in an open democracy should be based on the idea that people who break the law are punished and rehabilitated. And eventually released back into society and allowed to pursue a career and all the other things that make up life like everyone else.

He did something wrong, and had to serve time for it - and will have a criminal record with all it's limiting consequences for the rest of his life.

Football is a profession. Barton is now free and allowed to resume his profession. As such, he should not receive any lessor treatment from the rule makers and enforcers of the game; or the players; or the fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

chelsea being protected by the ref

bosingwa
    lampard
    deco

all bad tackles

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

card for deco though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

aye, should of been 3 in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is it just me or does Giovanni seem out of his depth?

He'll probably score 3 or 4 now...

Spurs have been rubbish - yet get a lucky ricochet to go in level 1 - 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tom65 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Giovanni seem out of his depth?

of course he is... people seem to forget he's just a kid, and far from the finished article. and now not only has he to worry about fulfilling his potential, but he has to adapt to a new culture, new language, new style of football. for most it would take at least a year if not two considering his age to finally settle and mature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think Gio looks like a brilliant player who'll be great when he hits proper form.

Spurs' problem is that they're hoofing balls forward with noone to recieve and distribute. Midfield is too lightweight. Zokora and Jenas are the weak links. Bringing on Hudd for Zokora might make a difference but we really want a hard man to run the midfield. Gio and Bentley are good but need someone to aim at.

As for the lucky deflection... er, Beletti's goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Spurs wasted a lot of money for nothing again this year,they dont look so good as i expected at all,i think they will finish kinda same as last year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh just saw the Chelsea goal, blatent offside before the corner, bad decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice little chip for Lamps at the start of the match :) Keeper did well to get to it

Kold wrote: »
    As for the lucky deflection... er, Beletti's goal?

Sure - some strike beforehand though right? And they've been the more positive side and created some chances and forced pressure etc, etc.

But it should never have been a corner, once Cole got involved in the play he was offside, should never have been a corner

City team for today -

Hart
    Corluka
    Richards
    Dunne
    Ball
    Ireland
    Johnson
    Kompany
    Hamman
    Wright-Phillips
    Jo

Elano dropped to the bench and apparently Petrov is out injured now for six week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ahh for f*ck sake......

Thats a very strong City side now perhaps with the exception of Ball, some good signings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Half decent looking starting 11 shock.

Mike

• Advertisement

And Johnson signed a new 5 year deal today so hands off Wenger!

Advertisement