Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this annoy anyone else?

• 29-08-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

The fact that there are so many civil servents under the title "administration", yet getting responses over the telephone/internet seems to be impossible, gathering every single bit of information for applications when they are things I've had to collect/photocopy/send/request a million and two times before, all from government agencies, all under the same f*ing government. I am personally sick of this, and at this stage I think I'd rather pay the 1000 euro than have to do any of this pointless running around. I will probably not qualify for the grant, sadly, even though I am a social welfare claiming 22 year old, living at home to a single parent. And still! to try and get anything out of these tight bastards (who are the single downfall to the major industries in this country in the last few years; building, fishing and agriculture) is impossible, now I know what your thinking, "how can someone on social welfare criticise the policies of a government who are providing them with money every week?", well I can because I have lost a very good job so far in my working career (I'm 22). This never ending circle of information the government have going, is stupid, they have every single bit of information I need, and if I needed to go in with A) birth certificate and passport just to proove who I was, I would, instead of this neverding circle of BULL****!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Yeah they want all sorts of documents detaling your earnings, yet all they have to do is type your PPS number into the government computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chrisi313

Are you talking about the third level maintenance grant application? That is bureaucracy run wild. I put down that I had no parents and no income. I threw a load of forms, including my passport and current student card in the envelope. I look forward to appealing any decision to the department of education.

Since you are only 22 you won't qualify as a mature candidate, and I sincerely hope your parents keep really excellent, certified accounts.

I have to say, the people who designed the scheme are brainless twits.

This is the last year of the current scheme. A new simpler regime comes in next year. Still, we get thrown to the dogs, huh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

chrisi313 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the third level maintenance grant application? That is bureaucracy run wild. I put down that I had no parents and no income. I threw a load of forms, including my passport and current student card in the envelope. I look forward to appealing any decision to the department of education.

Since you are only 22 you won't qualify as a mature candidate, and I sincerely hope your parents keep really excellent, certified accounts.

This is the last year of the current scheme. A new simpler regime comes in next year. Still, we get thrown to the dogs, huh? :confused:

I totally agree. It's the single most arduous form-filling paper-overkill experience I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are you serious? We have been waiting over 2 weeks for our P21's to come and eventually mam lost the rag with them and they are sending them out today...We applied for them on-line because it is "quicker"...my arse. It still all comes in land mail anyway...It is so badly designed. I'm the first to go to college from my family and it was like doing something in a different language!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

look forward to appealing any decision to the department of education.

Good luck mate, I appealed 2 years ago when I was absolutely 100% under the income threshold and they denied it. Id be fairly sure they didnt even look at the appeal, just chucked a letter in the post denying it.

Dont get me started on the incompetence of these people and the system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

was your reason for appealing because of income? I think i'll be appealing over three days, I'm just waiting on a response from the vec first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I will be a mature student next year, my father is self employed and does not keep accounts upto date. I live at home but will not be recieving anything off my parents, will I as a mature student be automatically have my fees paid? I am dreading applying for the grant even though i should be entitled to it

If you move out before the 1st of October this year you'll will be considered on your own wages next year but that's only if you start the course next year and 23 before the first of Jan 2009. they can waiver this but its seems only in extreme situations. Remember to hold on to a bill in your name as proof of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

And will it definitely only be done on my wages if I move out? do you have to stay living away from home for the whole year before I apply or can I move home a few months before college to save? I am ****ting it that there gonna bring back in fees before next yr in the budget, And would I have to have the same address for the year for my college post

you need to be living away for the whole year.. if you move back home your circumstances change and you are no longer considered independant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

do you mean that it's more likely you get a grant if youre a mature student and living away from home. Don't mature students not automatically get grants?
    i wouldnt be complaining about filling in forms etc if i was you, im not a mature student, have never qualified for a grant, even though i come from a farming family, have a twin in college the same time as me, which is quite unfair taht they dont take into account since our parents would never have had a break in trying to pay for fees which is what happens in most families, even if they did ever pay for fees/accomodation/anything which they dont btw. Plus i had the added bonus of having to take out a loan to repeat the year for reasons relating to lack of money etc.

I really dont understand how so many people get grants, obviously its partly because they fiddle the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the grant system favours the rich,belive me i know,i was the poorest student in college,wasnt entilted to it,whilst the well off in my year were drinkin their grants away,in this country your an ejit to pay tax or to be honest with your income to get any entiltments!

Advertisement