Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout Lanes

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All

Just looking for peoples opinion.I did my Driving test yesterday in SGS swords-I failed.However I was a bit annoyed when the tester told me one of my faults.It concerns the roundabout after the pavillions in Swords{Malahide roundabout I think}The tester asked me to take the Fourth exit{last exit}off the roundabout,So I indicated into the right-hand Lane and took the Fourth exit onto the Dual carridgeway- entering it on the fast lane.He gave me a Grade two fault saying I should have stayed in the left lane all the way around until I reached the 4th exit???I asked my instructor this and he said I did the right thing by going into the right hand lane on my approach to the roundabout evening though I was entering the dualcarriage way in the fast lane.Any feedback would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From the sounds of it, yourself and your instructor were completely right and he was completely wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

redpaulyd wrote: »
    Hi All

Just looking for peoples opinion.I did my Driving test yesterday in SGS swords-I failed.However I was a bit annoyed when the tester told me one of my faults.It concerns the roundabout after the pavillions in Swords{Malahide roundabout I think}The tester asked me to take the Fourth exit{last exit}off the roundabout,So I indicated into the right-hand Lane and took the Fourth exit onto the Dual carridgeway- entering it on the fast lane.He gave me a Grade two fault saying I should have stayed in the left lane all the way around until I reached the 4th exit???I asked my instructor this and he said I did the right thing by going into the right hand lane on my approach to the roundabout evening though I was entering the dualcarriage way in the fast lane.Any feedback would be much appreciated

you do know that you can have your test reviewed?! i mean, if the grade 2 fault was the straw that broke the camels back, you could have it reviewed and you may end up with a pass!! check the driving test webby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redpaulyd

I got 11 grade 2's so if I take that one away,I still failed.I will just sit it again even though I am fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

you do know that you can have your test reviewed?! i mean, if the grade 2 fault was the straw that broke the camels back, you could have it reviewed and you may end up with a pass!! check the driving test webby :D

If you appeal your result, the best you can hope for is a free retest. They won't give you a pass on an appeal.
    Q. If I fail the test can I appeal against the decision of the tester?

A. Article 33 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 provides for an appeal to the District Court. The Court may affirm the decision of the tester or direct that a further test be offered to you free of charge.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/faqs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

redpaulyd wrote: »
    Hi All

Just looking for peoples opinion.
    I indicated into the right-hand Lane and took the Fourth exit onto the Dual carridgeway- entering it on the fast lane.He gave me a Grade two fault saying I should have stayed in the left lane all the way around until I reached the 4th exit???I asked my instructor this and he said I did the right thing by going into the right hand lane on my approach to the roundabout evening though I was entering the dualcarriage way in the fast lane.Any feedback would be much appreciated

IMHO, Your instructor should have immediately sought clarification.

How is he going to instructor his pupils in future on how to negotiate that roundabout. ??

Will he tell them that if they get examiner X and get the same instructions, they should take the left hand lane, all other examiners take the right hand lane ???

However. I do not know the roundabout, but assuming 4Th exit after 12 O'clock, you entered correctly, but why did you exit in the overtaking lane ? Were you instructed to take a right a short distance ahead or was the left hand lane blocked. ?

If neither, then more than likely that is why you were marked and you misunderstood the examiner's explanation.

And there is no such thing as a "fast" lane. Fast or slow, you drive on the left.

Better luck next time, my advice, change instructors

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply.The Fourth exit on the roundabout was after 12 o clock{I entered the roundabout at 6 o clock}.Possibly I was faulted because entering the dual carriageway I didnt indicate and get into the left lane of the dual carriage way quick enough?? I am not sure-my head is wrecked!!

[quote=J_R
    However. I do not know the roundabout, but assuming 4Th exit after 12 O'clock, you entered correctly, but why did you exit in the overtaking lane ? Were you instructed to take a right a short distance ahead or was the left hand lane blocked. ?

I was instructed to left turn ahead after i was on the dual carriageway so I indicated and got into the left lane.

Hi,

On the roundabout in right hand lane, you should have checked your left mirror, blind spot indicated and entered the dual carriageway directly into the left hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

If I was coming off a roundabout onto a dual-carraigeway I would always enter into the slow lane first (left lane), build up speed, then change lanes when appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

J_R wrote:

I was always under the impression that if you're taking the right-hand lane around the roundabout, then you exit using the right-hand lane. Otherwise you'll be cutting off traffic that's using the left-hand lane and coming off the roundabout. You then move into the left-hand lane after you do your usual checks to make sure it's clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Redpaulyd- hard luck on your test. :(

From the information you have provided it would appear that your instructor needs to come up with some answers!

That is a very messy and complicated roundabout. I am very familiar with it and use it on almost a daily basis. I don't have any problems with it but it requires an awful lot of observation and anticapation and I can fully understand the difficulties that learner drivers or any driver who is unfamiliar with it may have. I have witnessed many minor accidents and near-misses on that roundabout.

Now here's my problem. On the SGS Swords test route, it is by far the most complicated junction and I would have assumed that anyone doing a test there and anyone instructing pupils there would have familiarised themselves with it and practised it numerous times.

It's more complicated than average because:

It has 5 exits.
    The road markings are not 'standard'.
    Not all exits are governed by lights.
    Two lanes become 3 and then back to 2 again.
    Some entrances have 2 lanes, some have 3.
    The left lane approach on some entrances is dedicated Left Turn Only.
    The yellow box at the southern end is widely ignored.
    The Pavilions Shopping Centre generates a lot of traffic on one exit.

Here is a Google Earth image of the roundabout for those unfamiliar with it. It's on the R132 which used to be the N1 (old Dublin Belfast Road).

The yellow dots represent the course you took.

MalahideRoundaboutR132.jpg

This pic shows your approach to the roundabout from Swords Village. You were correctly in the right lane (of 2 lanes).

1-73.jpg

Now your correct right lane position leads into 2 lanes (3 in total). (Blue squares on the aerial image). At this point, even though there are 2 right arrows, anyone with experience of the roundabout will select the centre lane.

The reason for this is that it makes it much easier to enter the dual carriageway on the left lane and it avoids getting cought up with the three lanes of traffic waiting to go to the Pavilions or north. Even though there is a yellow box there, it is widely ignored. You don't mention it in your post but were you held up by such traffic - 'lack of progress'?

2-67.jpg

This pic shows where you should have been, in the centre lane, after passing your 1st exit (with the Malahide exit ahead of you).

3-68.jpg

Now after passing the Malahide exit, being in the centre lane will allow you to ease gently into the left lane in preparation for your exit. Traffic which had been on your left should have left for Malahide.

It was quiet when I took these pics but the tail end of a 4x4 is visible on the extreme right. It is here that traffic is normally backed up and into the yellow box making exiting on the right lane difficult.

Now another problem. Motorists, entering the roundabout from Feltrim, are not governed by traffic lights. Because of this, many of them tend to ignore the YIELD sign when taking their 1 exit (i.e. Dublin) and drive out onto the roundabout (see green dots) presumably under the assumption that others will/should use the right lane. As a result, many motorists tend to exit on the right lane onto the dual carriagway.

4-63.jpg

I hope this helps. :)

Stark wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that if you're taking the right-hand lane around the roundabout, then you exit using the right-hand lane. Otherwise you'll be cutting off traffic that's using the left-hand lane and coming off the roundabout. You then move into the left-hand lane after you do your usual checks to make sure it's clear.

What I wrote
    Were you instructed to take a right a short distance ahead or was the left hand lane blocked. ?

If the left hand lane is clear you exit in the left hand lane. (From the right lane)

Basic rules of the road apply. Keep Left.
    Applicants should normally exit in the left-hand lane if it is clear.

From Driving Fault Marking Guidelines - Position on Roundabouts

However, if roundabout complicated and has lanes diverging converging all over the place then obviously the lane markings rule.

But normal roundabouts, you exit in the left lane if clear.

From the information you have provided it would appear that your instructor needs to come up with some answers!

Excellent post WA. All the answers to the questions the instructor did not ask the examiner. (But he should already have know)

I hope this helps. :)

Certainly should.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a thread on the Swords Test Routes.

There was another on that roundabout also. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Here's a thread on the Swords Test Routes.

There was another on that roundabout also. I'll see if I can dig it out.

just back from holidays,thank you so much for all your helpful information.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

FWIW as it was quiet I took the right hand lane all the way in the same manoeuvre as the OP in my test this morning, except I exited into the left-hand lane. Nothing said. I did get done for progress, but not for that I'm quite sure.

Passed too - about time :P :D

Advertisement