Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Codes!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's been postmen in my family for five generations now and I'll resist to the death postcodes (or not, I'm fairly passive).

Best you stop using the computer then. The internet and email has dramatically changed the face of postal services. Full postal de-regulation is happening here by 2011. Unless we all go back to pen-and-paper-only, your family's proud tradition is gonna be worthless ...

People in Ireland know each other, postcodes aren't really that necessary.

You are aware that 10% of the people living in Ireland today weren't born here?

Living in an inner-city apartment, I can categorically state that I don't know any of my neighbours, and they don't know me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    When the f@ck are we gonna move into the 20th century (sic) and get POST CODES?? Trying to apply to an American college for a masters and without a postsode, its a nightmare!! :mad:

Rant over :)

There is now a working new form of Post Coding system in Ireland - PON Codes - www.irishpostcodes.ie - fully explained here: http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php
    and here: http://www.gpsireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=79&limit=1&limitstart=1

Satnav's now have near 100% road detail for Ireland - Garmin systems have detail better than that visible on Google Earth for Ireland.

One problem is that of spelling and finding non unique addresses in Ireland on web maps and SatNav's. To help solve this problem - PON Codes - a new form of Post Codes are now available for Ireland at www.irishpostcodes.ie and available for testing on Garmin Nuvi 700 series Satnav's - see here: http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/useponconsatnav.php

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

garydubh wrote: »
    There is now a working new form of Post Coding system in Ireland - PON Codes - www.irishpostcodes.ie - fully explained here: http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php
    and here: http://www.gpsireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=79&limit=1&limitstart=1

So are An Post trying to keep them secret or something? Sat Nav companies have had to make up their own because the government are too feckin slow to sort it out themselves which will make it even more confusing when they actually introduce them. Disaster in the making as usual

So are An Post trying to keep them secret or something? Sat Nav companies have had to make up their own because the government are too feckin slow to sort it out themselves which will make it even more confusing when they actually introduce them. Disaster in the making as usual

No Disaster - the Government - Not An Post - will make a decison shortly - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0909/1220629653090.html

and the consultants' requirements to have a unique Post Code for every property - PON Codes are the only working solution capable of achieving/delivering this: http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php

• Advertisement

The latest update on Post Codes for Ireland is here:
    http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2897

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

More or less all of Galway County is K with Connemara J

Newcastle/Uni/ShantallaCladdagh/Lower Salthill is KP7
    Menlo/Tirellan KP8
    Knocnacarra/Rahoon/ KQ7
    Mervue Renmore Doughiska Industrial Estates KN7
    Ballindooley / Castlegar/ Leaders/ Parkmore KN8
    Bushypark/Dangan/Oranswell KQ8
    City Centre/Headford Road KP7
    Upper Salthill KP6
    Gentian Hill KQ6

Oranmore KK7
    Moycullen KR9
    Barna KR6
    Claregalway KM9
    Tuam KJH

Just use it and the postman will learn fairly quick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

SIMPLY TYPE IN = NONE ,

lukeeman wrote: »
    SIMPLY TYPE IN = NONE ,

Rubbish in - Rubbish Out &
    NONE IN - NOTHING OUT!!!!

Take a few minutes at www.irishpostcodes.ie and have something that means something to use from then on!!!

SIMPLY TYPE IN = NONE ,

NOPE...Doesn't work for alot of sites and the bottom line is you shouldn't have to type that in

• Advertisement

NOPE...Doesn't work for alot of sites and the bottom line is you shouldn't have to type that in

Wish you didn't have to put credit card details in also but you do !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

SIMPLY TYPE IN = NONE ,

THIS SIMPLY = THREAD

So there you go - as I projected - a National Post Code system was supposed to be introduced by Jan 2008. I have spent the last few hours searching through the budget estimates for 2009 as announced today and there is no apparant allocation for a National Post Code system in 2009 either. In fact, the Dept Of Comms budget in 2009 will be down by 13% - so definitely no obvious provision for the capital cost of a National System or for the compensatory costs suggested for An Post.
    Outline capital estimates for 2010, also published today, show no obvious allocations either. In fact, as far as I can see, the last official (Government or Departmental) mention of a National Post Code system was in the Green Party statement on the programme for Government last December (2007). Looks like proposals for a National Post Code system have been well and truly shelved for now!

Just as well PON codes are in place - they do not require millions of capital expenditure to establish and they are ready to use..... www.irishpostcodes.ie and - at no cost to the state!
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Wish you didn't have to put credit card details in also but you do !

thats just plain silly. We've outlined in the thread the numerous amounts of other valid reasons why postcodes are essential, not just what ye have to enter into a post code box when ordering online

FAO garydubh, It'll be hilarious when the idiots in dublin finally get around to bringing the country's postal system into the 20th century (sic). You just know they'll bring out a system completely at odds with the ones that the sat nav companies have already had to bring out and it'll be a complete disaster!

In fact, I could give you numerous examples at my own workplace here of why we can't use the post code system that GPS ireland have designed...one of which is that the county councils around the country don't recognise them

In fact, I could give you numerous examples at my own workplace here of why we can't use the post code system that GPS ireland have designed...one of which is that the county councils around the country don't recognise them

GPS Ireland deals with Local Authorities re GPS/GIS etc - they have all the capability to use PON codes - they use Garmin SatNavs and have GIS and already use the coordinates on which PON Codes are built. PON Codes are just a few short steps away for them - a few lines of code as a MapInfo tool.

County Councils will have no problem using PON Codes and infact many have already got GPS Ireland's Hangle Software (http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/downloads.php) which coverts GRID to PON Codes and GPS Ireland has had discussions with many who want to make their services more visible and want to publish locations/PON Codes etc on web services.

They will be there with PON Codes shortly! Nothing to stop anyone using them really!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It'll be hilarious when the idiots in dublin finally get around to bringing the country's postal system into the 20th century (sic).

Harsh, very harsh.

I predict that they'll reach at least the common standard from the beginning of the last decade of the 20th century before we're 10% through the 21st century.

:D

County Councils will have no problem using PON Codes and infact many have already got GPS Ireland's Hangle Software

I'll assume you've never had to do work for a county council office around the country? Be my guest and try to get the county councils to use them, because from my experience working with them they don't and won't...Just because the have the capability to use them, doesn't mean they will. The only way they will ever use them is if the government actually invest in the project and even then they have to incorporate it into the postal system and ye just know that's not gonna happen ;)

I'll assume you've never had to do work for a county council office around the country? Be my guest and try to get the county councils to use them, because from my experience working with them they don't and won't...Just because the have the capability to use them, doesn't mean they will. The only way they will ever use them is if the government actually invest in the project and even then they have to incorporate it into the postal system and ye just know that's not gonna happen ;)

You must be dealing with different set of Local Authorities to me - a member of a local authority got to my office today using a PON Code!!!

You must be dealing with different set of Local Authorities to me - a member of a local authority got to my office today using a PON Code!!!

:D Do you work with county councils aswell? What a coincidence. We work with over 26 county and city councils. For our line of work NONE of them use PON codes for actual council work

:D Do you work with county councils aswell? What a coincidence. We work with over 26 county and city councils. For our line of work NONE of them use PON codes for actual council work

All of them are already using IG, ITM,Lat/long, CAD and MapInfo, GPS etc - using PON Codes is a simple step from there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement