Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Cycling - Flexible Working Hours

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

As the days are getting shorter, I'm looking into getting a good quality set of lights.

I'm currently looking at the Fenix L2D torch with bike mount: http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2d_q5.html for the front and a Blackburn Mars 3.0: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9112 and a Smart 1 LED http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16534 for the back.

My commute is 11 miles each way - with the eight miles closest to the house on busy/main unlit roads (it's Donegal) and that last three on busy/main lit roads. My current working hours are 09:15 - 17.15. However, my company recently implemented a flexible working policy where I can work 07:30 - 17.25 and take one day a week off.

Obviously, the road will be alot quiter before 07:30 in the morning but the traffic may be faster moving. However, in my opinion, despite this and it being darker at that time, it should be alot safer - especially with the above front/2 rear lights and a high-vis vest. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sorry, can't comment on the road times, don't really know. Lightwise, that's what I would have recommended alright. You can get the Smart light cheaper from wiggle, it's only a tenner. I'd actually just get two of those instead of the blackburn. Seen better reviews for the Smart/Planetbike.

Make sure you have plenty of rechargable batteries for the L2D and bringing a backup torch is probably a good idea, just in case. One of the ultrafire AA ones from dealextreme would do the job. Could mount it on the helmet with velcro straps, very handy for pointing at drivers to ensure they have seen you. Not to mention seeing around corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm on the road early myself and have the following set up.......

flashing front led = 5 led cateye similar to this

Front beam light ( I only use this occassionally if there's no road lights)

A cheaper option would be two of these . They're just 5 led flashing lights but on constant mode two of them together give out a decent beam on the road ahead. I have them set up on another other bike and do a good job for the price.

On the back I have...

rear flashing led

2nd rear led cateye

Also have one of these which is great. Looks good, , it's really hi viz and has two front net pockets and a rear net pocket. You fit loads of bits and pieces into it. Has a zip up the centre too.

Advertisement