Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the Eircon or BT upgraded?

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I noticed a little while ago that my Linksys status had changed from 3MB down to 7.8MB down..

Modemstatus.jpg?t=1220010757

315446307.png

Other line stats...

Downstream Noise Margin
    relative capacity occupation: 99%
    noise margin downstream: 8.0 db
    output power upstream: 11.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 38.0 db

The thing is, I have only recently ordered the 8Mb from BT as I'm on one of their exchanges and wasn't expecting to get upgraded until next week, they said 10-15 days.
    The Eircon upgrade was supposed to be happening until POST SEPTEMBER so I'm not sure either way which one it is???

Pings aren't good so I thought it was probably the Eircon upgrade and the speed is around the 7.8Mb mark as opposed to 8Mb.

Is it the Eircon one?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I believe it is the BT one as the Eircom upgrades syncs up at 7616Kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you think that ping is bad you should see some of the speedtest results coming from people on the upgraded 7.6mbit package. You are most definitely on the a BT LLU package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yep I think it's the BT one.
    Rebooted the router and ...

Modemstatus2.jpg?t=1220025281

:)

Great stuff, especially as I only placed the order on the 27th.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come..

Modemspeed3.jpg?t=1220035258

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You line stats are crap tbh. Better off having a rock solid 4Mbps connection, than a 7.6Mbps one that is prone to errors and getting dropped from the dslam.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You line stats are crap tbh. Better off having a rock solid 4Mbps connection, than a 7.6Mbps one that is prone to errors and getting dropped from the dslam.

Oh great. :(

I've just signed up for a year at 8Mb.
    I could have stayed with the 3Mb.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Oh great. :(

I've just signed up for a year at 8Mb.
    I could have stayed with the 3Mb.
    No harm in ringing to try to plead your case..

This is the first time this has happened..

ATMLoopbacktest.jpg?t=1220095903

Not sure what it means though.

This is the first time this has happened..

ATMLoopbacktest.jpg?t=1220095903

Not sure what it means though.
    That means that your router cannot connect to BT.

Try plugging your router into the master socket (generally in the hall) and see does the stats improve significantly. If they do, it means your internal wiring is bad.

That means that your router cannot connect to BT.

Try plugging your router into the master socket (generally in the hall) and see does the stats improve significantly. If they do, it means your internal wiring is bad.

Strange thing is though, it says that even when I know I'm connected to the net and downloading something.

I'll try the master socket a bit later.

Using the ADSL bandwith estimator here... http://www.widearea.us/support/tools/WideArea.Estimator.zip

It says I'm on a 24Mb line and should be getting ...

ADSLtest.jpg?t=1220099950

• Advertisement

Strange thing is though, it says that even when I know I'm connected to the net and downloading something.

I'll try the master socket a bit later.

Using the ADSL bandwith estimator here... http://www.widearea.us/support/tools/WideArea.Estimator.zip

It says I'm on a 24Mb line and should be getting ...
    Oh... thats odd alright. I presumed you tried resetting the router?

Oh... thats odd alright. I presumed you tried resetting the router?

Reset it a few times.
    I'll wait for a few days and see if it settles down. As I said , I wasn't expecting this until later next week at the earliest and it's up in a couple of days.
    I'll let you know how things are later on.
    Thanks for your input so far.

Advertisement