Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Question

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Can anyone tell me what kind of an inspection do they do when you bring your car to pay the VRT. Do they examine what spec it is and do they actually check the mileage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

oho_noho wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what kind of an inspection do they do when you bring your car to pay the VRT. Do they examine what spec it is and do they actually check the mileage?

When I did it twice in succession (a few years ago now) the only thing they wanted to see was the chassis numbers which the inspector had to note personally. The reason for that, apparently, was so that they could issue an Irish registration document. They didn't check anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

For the two cars I've VRTed myself, there was no inspection at all. That may be because they were that bit older and the VRT paid was minimal anyway. A newer car might come under more scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Apparently there checking cars to intense scrutiny these days, especially the execs.That is mainly, audi, merc, lexus and BMW.They know there may be thousands of euros worth of extras on cars like this so it may mean a few hundred euro extra for the Taxman!! I would imagine that this order came from right up top seeing as tax receipts in all other areas are falling with this "recession" or whatever.

I dont blame people for importing cars at the moment.It is much cheaper in the majority of cases.I just think the ****ing greens should have put the right system into place from the start.The current system is a shambles.One of the main aims in the changes to vrt should have been to protect the Irish Motor Industry by allowing them to price the cars competitively.The Irish Motor industry is a big source of revenue to the government.I would think that its in the governments best interest to have a healthy motor industry rather than people importing cars in their drones.Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Zonda999 wrote: »
    One of the main aims in the changes to vrt should have been to protect the Irish Motor Industry by allowing them to price the cars competitively.The Irish Motor industry is a big source of revenue to the government.I would think that its in the governments best interest to have a healthy motor industry rather than people importing cars in their drones.Rant over

:eek:

What can the Irish government do to help the Irish Motor Industry price the cars competitively? Remove the VRT altogether? If you do that then it's even cheaper to import cars from UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

All i'm suggesting is a level playing field.I mean if you import, lets say a 02 corolla 2.0 diesel today, you'll pay vrt at 16%.When a similiar car over here was registered in 02, the vrt would have been 30%.Maybe imports pre 2008 should still pay under CCs....

Some people complain that pre 2008 imports should pay CO2 based road tax.I dont agree with this either.It would be blatanlt unfair

• Advertisement
Advertisement